SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well Christmas sure came early today! :headbang:I ventured out to an old stand by expecting to suck up a button or two but was very pleased with my finds today. The rain in the area made the loamy ground very soft and wet. I was picking signals for a solid 2 hours out of an area pounded by many detectorist including myself. First signal was a nice tombac button. About 20 minutes later I got a very loud solid 92 on my T2 very shallow. Thinking can or quarter on the surface. I flipped this bad boy out of the ground and nearly died when I wiped the dirt off the face! HOLY #@$E%. I was hunting solo so I just quietly celebrated making several phone calls to m hunting buddies. Beautiful 1793 Wreath and Bars large cent!!

PC240605.jpg

PC240606.jpg

PC240607.jpg

PC240604.jpg

After finding this I pounded the area and came up with some beautiful buttons too. One looks to be some sort of NJ National guard. Scoville back

PC240610.jpg

PC240611.jpg

Next beauty is this harp button with a bunch of clovers surrounding it. Havn't Id'ed it yet but could be military. Best Standard makers mark.

PC240612.jpg

Last but not least my first (colonial) Jews harp! Very small and very cool.

PC240615.jpg

I also made a little video that I can't figure out how to post as of yet. But enjoy the pics and Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! :headbang: :headbang:

PC240613.jpg

PC240614.jpg

Upvote 1

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A DREAM FIND! Well deserved banner! Merry X-Mas! Hogge :notworthy:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Big Congrats on an awesome early Copper Find :o
I'm still on the lookout for a Wild Woman! (coin that is :laughing9: )

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
! YEA!! a hit like that makes any day merry- but for Christmas---- REAL EXTRA SPECIAL MERRY!

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Jim, the detecting gods were good to you. The phone pic did not do it justice, sweet. Merry berries Jim... Banner

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
badluck said:
I would offer this button reference from an ebay auction. Might be from a union Irish Brigade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CIVIL-WARS-...041?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae404a801

It appears that possibly the same seller has shown another item stating the same, I say no proof of anything in his statements, especially the Confederate part or even CW related. With the backmark mentioned on the auction piece, that would make that button no earlier than 1881 and as late as 1924! I have done a lot of research on Irish units and for the seller to come to that conclusion based on a Harp is what I call nothing but conjecture and trying to jack up the value of his items being sold.
The two buttons found by TNet members are without a doubt older based on the construction and backmarks, so hopefully a positive ID to whether military (looking so at this point) or whatever will be forthcoming.

ADDED: upon further research I did find a reenactment unit that has a flag with a very similar logo, so I just wrote to them and hope to hear if they know if your button was used by the original unit during CW, before or after, or perhaps not at all.

Attachments

• Irish Harp Regt.jpg
    Irish Harp Regt.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 4,089

Cache Man

Greenie
Feb 28, 2009
TN.
Detector(s) used
Gti-2500-Fisher F70-Omega 8000 CZ-70-Explorer SE pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will remember yesterday and that great find for ever! :icon_thumright:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
badluck said:
I would offer this button reference from an ebay auction. Might be from a union Irish Brigade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CIVIL-WARS-...041?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae404a801

It appears that possibly the same seller has shown another item stating the same, I say no proof of anything in his statements, especially the Confederate part. I have done a lot of research on Irish units and for the seller to come to that conclusion based on a Harp is what I call nothing but conjecture and trying to jack up the value of his items being sold.

Not to mention the auction one looks 20h century.

The early ones found are interesting though. Hope to see an ID, if there is an ID to be had.

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Don hope to hear more about this button soon. I do know it is most likely pre civil war. Flat one piece with a split mold mark on the back. Best Standard. The one on ebay looks like a modern day replica the way the shank is situated. Hopefully its something rare. Quite a few military buttons came out of this field. Dragoons, Royal Regiment of Artillery,NJ CG,Irish. Must have been a field for quite some time to have such a range of age. Oldest coin that came out of there was an early 1700's french coin.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SouthJerseyJim said:
Thanks Don hope to hear more about this button soon. I do know it is most likely pre civil war. Flat one piece with a split mold mark on the back. Best Standard. The one on ebay looks like a modern day replica the way the shank is situated. Hopefully its something rare. Quite a few military buttons came out of this field. Dragoons, Royal Regiment of Artillery,NJ CG,Irish. Must have been a field for quite some time to have such a range of age. Oldest coin that came out of there was an early 1700's french coin.

Jim, I think both of the buttons found are identical, b/m, etc. I feel War of 1812 era is possible, since my Irish button was 1808-1814 era. I do know I have seen that button before, probably when I was doing extensive research on my Union Greens button.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Merry Christmas to you indeed!! :icon_thumright:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holy crap! I wasn't prepared to see such detail on it!! Freakin' awesome :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should be banner & thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Irish button

SouthJerseyJim said:
Thanks again guys! Don I found something interesting about your Union Greens button. Kinda looks exactly like yours.http://maryland1812.wordpress.com/2011/03/29/baltimore-hibernian-corps-of-union-greens/

Still can't find any info on the one Monte and I found though. I see a 2 piece similar but not a one piece. Still searching.....

Jim, hopefully I will hear something this week from one of the half dozen POC's of Hibernia units I sent out information requests for yesterday.
Now about that link, yes, that is MY BUTTON, and my photo of my button. I think I may have to consider it free advertisement but think I will try and find out who used my photo, but I think I know who is responsible and if so that is fine with me, but do wish they had given me credit for being the owner and my photo credit... Seems like I just went thru something like this with Garrett Detectors.

I knew with the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812 coming up and between now and 1814 (when the Battle of North Point/Ft McHenry) happened that getting the word out on my button could not do it harm for increasing the value on the market, which I am looking for it to become desireable by the War of 1812 button collectors which are a smaller group than say Civil War and the premium for Rev War era buttons.............

Don

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't it interesting that those great finds sometimes are so shallow?

Congrats on some awesome finds and for making the banner! :icon_thumright:

Goldirocks

Jan 12, 2007
Amazing Find Jim. It's a shame I wasn't there to see you jumping up and down:) :blob7:But the phone call I got was just as exciting. That is a Banner find. Now go out there and get yourself another one just like it. But a chain cent this time :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions