Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, This afternoon i went to old hard rock gold mine site. I thought i might share some easy ways to find and recover and crush quartz using simple tools and things from around the house.First most hard rock mines graded their ore before crushing. So when looking for hidden gold that being the gold miners couldn,t see. Often there was a process where the ore is broken up into small pieces before the final crushing stage. Some times done by hand or by mild machinery , like ball mill. Most of the tailing dumps will be smaller shards of grey slate and quartz. What to look for are the larger pieces of quartz that may have fallen out a ore cage or wagon. dropped or covered by other tailings. Usually quite a bit bigger is size. Run your md around and over the heep and if get a signal from a larger piece , pick it up and scan over the coil. I,m telling you if the piece gives a signal even if cannot see gold it will hidden inside the quartz. Put your find away until you get home and keep going. Your wasting time trying to recover the gold on the site. You may find one or even more Once home wrap specie in an old tee shirt or cloth and belt a few times with one pound hammer. Cloth stops flying splitters and your gold flying off. Drop the broken quartz into small shallow bucket or plastic gold pan to wash the dust and other small splitters off. If cannot see the gold by checking the washed pieces theres a good chance it remains hidden. Turn your md on and scan piece by piece over the coil. You soon have the piece your looking for. Then place the bit that gave the signal back in the cloth and one more gentle belt with hammer should be a golden colour.Quick easy and cost nothing .

tinpan

Attachments

• 100_1287.jpg
    100_1287.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,035
  • 100_1285.jpg
    100_1285.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,057
  • 100_1284.jpg
    100_1284.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,063
  • 100_1283.jpg
    100_1283.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,064
  • 100_1282.jpg
    100_1282.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 1,061
  • 100_1272.jpg
    100_1272.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,039
  • 100_1271.jpg
    100_1271.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 1,032
  • 100_1276.jpg
    100_1276.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 1,030
Upvote 0
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Finding hidden matrix gold in hard rock tailing dumps

Do,nt always get every good target Dug a 2 foot hole for a rusty axle mount off a ore cart and some more pics

Attachments

• 100_1281.jpg
    100_1281.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 1,352
  • 100_1277.jpg
    100_1277.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 1,321
  • 100_1279.jpg
    100_1279.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 1,328
  • 100_1280.jpg
    100_1280.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 1,320
  • 100_1273.jpg
    100_1273.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 1,056

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like you have a good technique with recovering gold from the big rocks. Nice nugget you found!!

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nooberz said:
Sounds like you have a good technique with recovering gold from the big rocks. Nice nugget you found!!

Thanks my aim is to share simple ideas that increaces hunting time and reduces cost .Not everyone can afford fancy gadgets . Good time and money management is why i can afford a minelab GPX.

tinpan

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks for the info, by golly I'll be trying it out. It's so simple, don't know why I didn't think about it myself. Thanks again, I've got some ideas on places to hunt not too far from home.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome gold digger post! I think I would leave the quartz intact, makes a beautiful display of the gold. I need to get over to the gold town near me, never found any gold there but other miner related relics come up. Found a cross bow bolt tip at the castle today. My computer crashed Friday which is why I'm not posting up much at the moment. HH, Mike

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is a first rate post from a veteran gold field hunter. Thanks for the tips, tinpan!

That is a beautiful nugget hidden in that quartz. :headbang:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

California Girl

Dec 19, 2011
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, White's Mxt Pro & GMT, Gold Master ll.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow. Nice find. Still waiting to find gold in quartz myself. Have to get out there and hunt. Fantastic :headbang: :hello2: :hello:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great advice as usual Tinpan.I cant speak for your veins over there but here our gold bearing quartz often comes encased in clay(which holds gold as well)and when dug out can hide even visible gold,and was sometimes pitched into the tailings as barren.Being there for 100 years or more the clay is washed away exposing your yeller.There also were extremely rich mines or pocket mines where the guys were hygrading or cherry picking for the really good stuff not messing with the material that had to be milled.Those mines are few and far between but I have found them :thumbsup:

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good post Tinpan.

Someone, probably here, showed me a quick and easy way to turn golf ball size rocks to sand in heartbeat. I happened to have the two tools laying around and tried it: Take a t-post pounder and turn it upside down. Drop a couple of sample rocks inside. Then take a five foot landscape wrecking bar and drop the round end in and in five or six whacks you have panable sand. Impressive.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...868B552C40E98DD4774BC27&first=181&FORM=IDFRIR

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...531B7DFFB029F3EC706800B80&first=0&FORM=IDFRIR

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

calisdad said:
Good post Tinpan.

Someone, probably here, showed me a quick and easy way to turn golf ball size rocks to sand in heartbeat. I happened to have the two tools laying around and tried it: Take a t-post pounder and turn it upside down. Drop a couple of sample rocks inside. Then take a five foot landscape wrecking bar and drop the round end in and in five or six whacks you have panable sand. Impressive.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...868B552C40E98DD4774BC27&first=181&FORM=IDFRIR

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...531B7DFFB029F3EC706800B80&first=0&FORM=IDFRIR
I have a mill if you ever need to crush some Calisdad :thumbsup:

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kuger said:
calisdad said:
Good post Tinpan.

Thanks Kuger, I'll keep it in mind. There are countless tailing piles within a few miles from here. I'm always poking around when I find one that looks promising.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

calisdad said:
kuger said:
calisdad said:
Good post Tinpan.

Thanks Kuger, I'll keep it in mind. There are countless tailing piles within a few miles from here. I'm always poking around when I find one that looks promising.

Sorry for the hijack Tinpan....just hit me up Calisdad

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well that's one of the finest sights there: Gold in Quartz! Terrific photos Tinpan, takes us right there with you :occasion14:

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

awesome job

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks for the info "Tinpan". Awesome finds you have.
I posted about the "Hot Rocks" I found and still have. I live in the town of French Gulch, North-Cal. Gold mine & hydrolic tailings area 2 miles close by Clear Creek 3 million pulled out in 3 to 5 years end of the 1800's.
(The rangers claim only 60% has been removed.)
I find tons & tons of dumped smooth creek rock but toward the creek I have found some light filtered rock, a pile gave off a "Hit" I went thru withmy plastic scoop and tested and found rocks that when I lifted the coil up and away it sounded. I saved these rocks in a tin. They are not in pure quartz like what you have, and are more like rock, I also ran a magnet but they are not magnetic.(Good.)
I will crush them and check it out, many thanks.

oldmaps

Aug 11, 2010
al , ms , fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari , ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tinpan
I might not ever get out west or to Australia to hunt for for gold. But I do enjoy reading your posts on how to find gold and seeing your finds.

HH

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for replies and here todays finds

tinpan

Attachments

• 100_1291.jpg
    100_1291.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 652
  • 100_1289.jpg
    100_1289.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 690

jf504mp

Feb 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
You have no idea what I would give to be there........awesome!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread