Top Of Old Shotgun Shell

fairangel

Aug 31, 2011
I dug this today, my detector shows it as brass; after researching I have found it was probably made between 1848-1949. It has the following on it: the outer rim has Winchester 20, Leader, the small center has; W.R. A. CO, there's some other letters on the outer & inner rims but I can't make them out yet.

Does anyone know if it will destroy it to clean it & if not what should I clean it with?

Attachments

• shell.jpg
    shell.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,051
  • shell-back.jpg
    shell-back.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,026
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were no type of shot shell shotguns in 1849.......if you ruin it I will send ya another one :thumbsup:

The Winchester Repeating Arms Company produced the first firearm to bear its name in 1866 - the Model 66. In 1873, the company began to expand its operations to include increased ammunition manufacture. To coincide with the introduction of its new Model 73, the company claimed it was "prepared to manufacture 250,000 cartridges per day, embracing every size and description of a quality superior to anything heretofore offered." By 1875, cartridge capacity had been stepped up to a million a day. The decision to expand ammunition production was one of the major policy changes in the history of Winchester. It marked the first step toward making the company one of the largest and best-known manufacturers of ammunition in the world.

Smokeless powder entered the market in the 1890s. The adoption of smokeless powder for ammunition was one of the major innovations affecting the entire history of firearms, and started a new phase in the development

OP
OP
F

fairangel

Aug 31, 2011
Thanks kuger. I was going on the info on some websites I found, thinking maybe I had found a small piece of history.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh!You did find a piece of History!!I dont have time right now to give you the exact date,but it doesnt date as early as your info told you.I didnt mean to sound degrading to yours either,but we dig them by the hundreds and they cause me great sorrow LOL!They always sound so good!!Member Turtlefoot on here has a fantastic collection of the many different types and guages that I now send all of mine to.If you want it to shine,get some brass cleaner and a toothbrush,or leave that nice patina,and just brush it with a tooth brush :thumbsup:
Appears to date to the earliest of 1870's?Thats cool,and early for a paper shotshell!!
http://members.shaw.ca/cartridge-corner/winch1.htm

OP
OP
F

fairangel

Aug 31, 2011
I didn't take it as degrading, I just thought maybe it wasn't a piece of history after all. I really appreciate your information. I think I will leave the patina on it, it keeps the old look on it.
I find a lot of rifle shells here, I think I dig about as many of those as I do pull tabs.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fairangel said:
I didn't take it as degrading, I just thought maybe it wasn't a piece of history after all. I really appreciate your information. I think I will leave the patina on it, it keeps the old look on it.
I find a lot of rifle shells here, I think I dig about as many of those as I do pull tabs.

...these are my "Pull tabs",!!LOL! :thumbsup:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
First came full metal case shotgun shells, then paper case with brass bottom.Yours is, was, a paper case,Unless of course the plastic was pulled off of it. I have a J.C. Higgins 12 gauge paper case.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red James cash said:
First came full metal case shotgun shells, then paper case with brass bottom.Yours is, was, a paper case,Unless of course the plastic was pulled off of it. I have a J.C. Higgins 12 gauge paper case.
...this one was paper..plastic did not come until MUCH later

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An angle on shotgun shells: A buddy has collected every shotgun shell be has found in almost 30 years of hunting. He does it primarily to "clean" a site for more exacting metal detecting. The brass weight from his bucketed bounty of what we both call "Shogun" shells -- as an effort to add some sophistication to these finds -- has gotten close to a tough lift. However, he has also begun to sort through the varieties of Shogun shells and has accrued a remarkably varied collection, which displays remarkably well. We have both developed a far more accepting attitude when we dig these oft omnipresent artifacts. Not sure they'll ever find value like coins or button but he has been offered many hundreds of dollars for his entire display. Also, I have over 30 reloadable brass shotgun shells. These easily recognized shells -- made of brass and up to three inches long -- are very much sought after by collectors.

OP
OP
F

fairangel

Aug 31, 2011
I usually don't keep the shells I find, I usually bring them home & trash them but this one just looked different than any I had seen so I kept it; I'm glad I did.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fairangel said:
I usually don't keep the shells I find, I usually bring them home & trash them but this one just looked different than any I had seen so I kept it; I'm glad I did.

If you dont decide to keep them I am sure Turtlefoot would really appreciate them.
We had a site 5 or six years ago that was never documented as any type of shooting range but my Dada sorted through the buckets of shot shells and rifle cases and we has 41 different brands of paper shot shell headstamps,35 Brass cases,and four diferent guages,along with 27 different rifle shell calibers.Also were around 100 various cal. roundballs!Made a really neat display which we gifted to the land owner

OP
OP
F

fairangel

Aug 31, 2011
I think I will keep it, it's neat having just that small piece of history. If I do change my mind, I will definitely let turtlefoot know.

Mud Magnet

Nov 19, 2011
Western Montana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kuger said:
fairangel said:

...these are my "Pull tabs",!!LOL! :thumbsup:

Montana is literally paved with shell casings. They are useful in gauging the date of activity in the area being searched.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red James cash said:

Yours is, was, a paper case,Unless of course the plastic was pulled off of it. I
Red James cash said:
..this one was paper..plastic did not come until MUCH later

Nooooo really :icon_biggrin:

:icon_scratch:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is a J C Higgins Shell Rare ?.( by Shotgun Shell Standards)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread