Ended 2011 on a high note (low tone)

Mud Magnet

Nov 19, 2011
Western Montana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It warmed up into the 40's the last few days so I got out to my favorite park. Tried a new deep program I got out of "The Minelab Explorer-E-trac handbook" on the SE pro and pulled 14 wheats and a 1956 dime out of ground I had detected several times last summer...very cool. Also got an old plated ring and a sterling bear claw ring. Decided to hit the beach area yesterday and pulled a bunch of clad and a nice 14KT chain out of the muck.

IMAG0356-1.jpg

IMAG0358.jpg

Happy new year to all.

Upvote 0

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Really nice, God Bless and Happy New Year!!!

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that is a good batch! Looks like you been busy & Having Fun!!!!
May 2012 be the best!

pghDFXer

Dec 21, 2011
PGH
Detector(s) used
Dfx 300 w/5.3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New here, Nice finds, strange but i think i found that exact chain yesterday. does it have a very small cursive ma mark near the clasp. But I found it by shear accident because there was a penny next to it. didnt sound like anything to me .

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks to be like you had a good day!

OP
OP
Mud Magnet

Mud Magnet

Nov 19, 2011
Western Montana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pghDFXer said:
New here, Nice finds, strange but i think i found that exact chain yesterday. does it have a very small cursive ma mark near the clasp. But I found it by shear accident because there was a penny next to it. didnt sound like anything to me .

No cursive just says Midas 14k.
IMAG0364-1.jpg

I was using an excalibur II that I haven't used much, it sounds off like a bull horn when you go over nickels, gold, foil or tabs. Dug a bottle cap foil out of this hole first, went over the hole again and got the same signal, kept digging and out popped the chain.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Congrats on many nice finds. You say you got a deep setting out of your minelab book? Is it the Andy Sabisch handbook? I have that, and havent read it all the way through yet, but I didnt see any specific settings to use, just the place where you kind of create your own. Any feedback would be awesome, I got the etrac in september. First detector, and i am learning but its a long road...

Chris.

OP
OP
Mud Magnet

Mud Magnet

Nov 19, 2011
Western Montana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TheRockDoc said:
Congrats on many nice finds. You say you got a deep setting out of your minelab book? Is it the Andy Sabisch handbook? I have that, and havent read it all the way through yet, but I didnt see any specific settings to use, just the place where you kind of create your own. Any feedback would be awesome, I got the etrac in september. First detector, and i am learning but its a long road...

Chris.

Yarp same book. I was just flipping thru it and saw the settings for the Explorer on page 114-115 decided to give them a try. They definitely work but you have to go real slow and dig all iffy signals. I was amazed at the depth, the dime was a t least 10" deep. You picked the right machine for your first detector, the Etrac is amazing out of the box. I have'nt tried any custom settings on it yet but the high trash program works great in parks again work it slow.

Another thing that helped me a lot with the Etrac was the target id charts in the book and on the internet. I made a label that had the Co jewelry signal #'s listed in the chart on page 126 and put it on my rain cover so I don't have to dedicate them to memory. Tried one hunt where I dug only those signals and ended up with three rings in two hours, you'll dig alot of trash that way but you get the good stuff if it's there.

The few things I've taken from the book and applied to my hunts have helped alot so it's worth a read.
Happy Hunting,

Travis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread