The ultimate nube

TEC

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2004
Well, I decided to do this, and even though I didn't buy the best equipment, a Quick Draw II Bounty Hunter, it was in my price range, I plan on doing the best I can with what I have. Tomorrow I"m going to a school, and several local parks to find how bad I really am at this. While it looks like a lot of fun, it also looks like it will take a lot of time to learn, but still should be fun.

So, wish me luck. The nube from Texas.

TC ;D

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAY TEC, MERRY CHRISTMAS & welcome to this Great Hobby. I Don't know anything partricular about the Quick Draw II , but there are others on here who use & like it. THEY MUST BE EATING YET, or Sleeping the Celebration off right now? ;) any Way, hope you have a great time with it & keep us Up on your Prograss. also ask any questions you have, after trying it out. GOOD LUCK & HAPPY HUNTING, Jeff

G

giterdone

Hi Tec,
You did the right thing in your choice of purchase. "Top of the Line" can mean ultimate frustration if you don't know how to adjust all the variables in programming. My brother has one of those machines and makes plenty good finds with it. My advice is adjust the discrimination to "off" and dig every signal in a specific area till you determine what kind of trash may be there and adjust accordingly. If you tune out pulltabs and nickels you will miss gold targets so be prepared to dig alot of trash to make some really good finds. Giterdone

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Where abouts in Texas are you? Im in central Texas.

OP
OP
T

TEC

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2004
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Ced, I'm in Dallas area.

Well, today was an experience. I left it on full and dug everything. I spent a little over two hours and came up with the following.

1 small piece of silver (looks like it was from a locket)
4 quarters
3 dimes
5 pennies
3 pull tabs
misc aluminum lugs/nuggets
2 shredded cans
1 piece of fence wire.

Where the value in all this is;

I learned how change settings to fine tune a target
I learned what kinds of poles and metal gives false readings, even when several feet away
I now know the tones of different coins and metels
I know the tones of a coin when its deeper and try to show something else

The knowledge is where the wealth in todays journey was. Tomorrow will be less of a learning curve and more of a planned hunt. Going to some beaches on the local lakes and a park playground that has the shredded wood chips(easy diggins).

Thanks again
TC

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE WARNED YOU ; This hobby is Very Addicting. the more you learn, the more you'r gonna love it.? ;D Congrats on a great first day ! ; Jeff

bmanofnbc

Dec 20, 2004
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter SSII & Fisher F75
I've got the same machine.
I like it but the depth indicator is almost always wrong. i don't think it goes as deep as BH says it does either.

That said, I still have as much fun as the guys who spent $1,000 on their machines.
Only I will have mine paid for in clad a lot sooner! (I found $125.00 this year)

I just got my 4" coil and recommend it if you plan to Hunt in playgrounds and ballfields with fences.

Good luck with your new toy and post your finds for us to see.

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Tec, go to today's finds and look at my posts all that stuff was found with a $100.00 dollar Bounty Hunter.
You will see all the jewlery plus $1100.00 in clad all found in one year.

Set your detector on tone mode and discrimination at zero and start swinging.

Onionhead

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
No, you're not the ultimate nube. You're right on target. Great hunting!

I recall a nube over 30 years ago (myself) walking ahead of the old timer in the park and eyeballing finds after carnies and fests. He really was ticked off at me but it got me going into the hobby some years later. Claim jumping with your eyeballs, now that's nube territory...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
No, you're not the ultimate nube.? You're right on target.? Great hunting!?

I recall a nube over 30 years ago (myself) walking ahead of the old timer in the park and eyeballing finds after carnies and fests.? He really was ticked off at me but it got me going into the hobby some years later.? Claim jumping with your eyeballs, now that's nube territory...
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? SO THAT WAS YOU LOWBATTS , I shoulda kicked you where the sun don't shine that day? ;D "NOT"? :) cool story, would have loved to have read his mind, while you were doing that :lol

buckmild1

Oct 26, 2004
Trinity, Florida
I swing a BH Quick Draw II. Haven't had any problems except wet beach sand. Haven't really found anything of worth yet but having allot of fun just the same. Buried soda cans can be a real pain until you get used to the signals. I don't even look at the display anymore. I just go with the tones. Pinpointing is also a little hard to get used to. I find that swinging in an x pattern a couple of times works good. also circling works too. Good luck and HH.

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
Tec like the old saying it aint what ya got but how ya use it! And where you use it. The lesser machines of today are way better than the top machines were not too many years ago! Good going! Cladius.

OP
OP
T

TEC

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2004
Hey, thanks guys! I think I have this coke can think down pat now. The signal changes from tin to a penny over and over as you pass over the can. Sometimes it goes from a penny to a dime. After finding 6 cans in a row, I avoid the signals that are ever changing and never stablize. Still finding clad and finding out that my best guess places have been stripped clean by someone before me. hah

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea but how many of them can signals your passing up REAL KEEPERS ? ;D

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Tec,

I wouldn't look at the led right now I would listen to the tones set your detector on tone mode discrimination at zero and dig any solid signal. The computer will give you the best guess but your ear knows if you listen.

I can't remember how my times that thier are several targets in one hole that I've dug.

Onion

OP
OP
T

TEC

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2004
Yea, I thought about that. If it were a playground with the loose chips, or a beach, I imagine I would have dug them up, but this was a new ball field and the ground was hard grey clay, not easy to get down even 4 inches. So after so many cans, I focused on the strong stable signals. My luck I missed a diamond ring. hahahaha

T

techi214

Well hello,

YES.. I am a nube to this addictive hobby. I have not bought a detector yet, still looking. But I remember the last tiem I had a radio shack cheapy. I found coins and a gold necklace, and this was 14 years ago. I want back into the hobby, but I am a little tight for cash. Could your reccomend anything or maybe one of you have a extra one you want to sell? Has anyone heard of SEBEN detectors? I am thinking of buying one on ebay. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Keep hunting,

Jeff ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread