Last day of 2011! & what a day it was Double seated! records/firsts fall agian!

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last day of 2011! & what a day it was Double seated! records/firsts fall agian!

I decided to go out with a buddy and hunt the street of a nearby town... they have been doing road construction on the main road but I knew that lots of hunters have been hitting this area and not to mention they have it 3/4 covered up now... but we went anyways... I wanted 2011 to go out with a bang and boy did it! One of my hunting partner (who showed up later) managed a 1919 Wheat a 1890 Indian Head penny and a 1914 Barber dime. Almost 2 hours had gone by and not a single coin for me. I was grumbling and mumbling to myself saying there is no way a Garrett is going to be me and my V3i (inside joke) I got down to an area that was dug a few days prior but was very hard and packed my hunting partner moved on because of this... but I knew it was next to an old hotel and there had to be something here... in fact where I was was in between 2 hotels across the street from each other... one being the famous First Hilton Hotel!

I did not leave this area because of these hotels even though the dirt had been firmly packed I was determined to find me a coin! My first coin was 2+ hours into the hunt and I get a 72+ on the VDI reading so I pulled the trigger yup I said the green bar shows a coin I was thinking I finally got me a coin but I didn't know what about 2 inches down in the hard packed soil I see the shine of silver and I said oh a shiny! so I break the dirt apart and I see ONE DIME so I started thinking barber.... but I have seem to forgot I have gotten seated coins form this site before as I gently brushed the dirt of I said to myself its a SEATED and started to dance... as I did I wave my hunting partner over (100 yards away) and kept dance till he got there... I said its an 1887 seated DIME! now this is #3 for me EVER and for the year. I was happy with that and could head home content... but noooo 2 minutes later and 6 feet away I get a 52+ VDI reading and I was thinking its an Indian head penny, for me an Indian head penny and a zinc penny ring up in the low 50's on my VDI but I also found out something else does... well I broke four of my records last month in this spot so why not do it again... but only half as many... I popped out of the ground another silver coin! but this one is a tiny thing and I knew immediately I had me a half dime! since I was sill dancing form the 1887 seated dime I just kept on dancing! This one is a 1853 Arrowed Seated half dime!My first half dime ever and now for the second month in a row I broke my record for my oldest American coin! Last month I beat it by 12 years... this time I beat it by 3 years!

I can't believe I did not cut into either of theses coins I was jabbing in the packed dirt like a wild man because it was so hard!
What a way to end 2011 I broke several records/firsts this year and I am ecstatic over it.

Broke my oldest American coin found 2 times in 2011 (from a 1868 Shielded Nickel to a 1856 seated dime to a 1853 seated half dime)
Found my first Seated coin in 2011 (1856 seated dime)
Found my first Half Dime in 2011 (1853 Half Dime)
Found most (4) seated in one year in 2011 (actually last 2 months) (1890, 1887, 1856 seated dimes and 1853 half dime)
Found 2 seated in one day in 2011 (1853 seated half dime & 1887 seated dime)

So it was a good year for oldies...

Chukers

Attachments

• seated spot.JPG
    seated spot.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 539
  • Seated Front & Back.jpg
    Seated Front & Back.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 599
Upvote 0
OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Last day of 2011! & what a day it was Double seated! records/firsts fall agian!

I guess I accidentally locked the last post and before I found out I could unlock it I deleted the original so I just re-posted it... you can reply now...

Chukers

sarahj234

Greenie
Oct 6, 2010
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Last day of 2011! & what a day it was Double seated! records/firsts fall agian!

Sweet Finds! Every time I find a coin that is not a clad penny I am excited, but if I found anything this cool I might have to sit down and breathe in a paper bag for a few :) Congrats and Happy New Year!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

Congrats! Great way to end the year! All because you refused to give up. HAPPY NEW YEAR! Andi

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sarahj234 said:
Sweet Finds! Every time I find a coin that is not a clad penny I am excited, but if I found anything this cool I might have to sit down and breathe in a paper bag for a few :) Congrats and Happy New Year!

its was actually quite funny I had my arms in the air... detector whipping around back and forth... I was in full silly mode!

Happy New Year to you too!

Chukers

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great day ...2 seated in 1 day!

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

g-olden years said:
Congrats! Great way to end the year! All because you refused to give up. HAPPY NEW YEAR! Andi

Thanks.... and Happy New Year to you too!

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kayden said:
Great day ...2 seated in 1 day!

I know... I can't believe that! yet about "first" 2 seated in one day.... not many do that!

chukers

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer

Loved your story, and love the coins, they are going to look great after cleaning! Congrats

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

great job! those torn up sidealks can be tough to hunt. ;D willy

ShovelNose

Apr 6, 2010
Little River S.C.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the double finds. I picked up my first seated and oldest silver to date. 1887 with no mintmark.Mine was only 2" in the grass. They almost look like twins

Attachments

• DSCF2470.JPG
    DSCF2470.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 389
  • DSCF2471.JPG
    DSCF2471.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 382

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

wow a sweet hunt! happy new year!

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nutriasub said:
Loved your story, and love the coins, they are going to look great after cleaning! Congrats

yeah they cleaned up a bit, but they are pitted... most things that come out of this area look very pitted... I'm happy they are just readable and old!

Chukers

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

great finds :thumbsup:

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have some more stuff that is interesting which I found on that day... I am cleaning it up and will post it soon!

Chukers

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

way to go, chuckers, you can't beat that!!! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

relicminer said:
way to go, chuckers, you can't beat that!!! :icon_thumleft:

not at all... especially since the area was settle in the 1880's which means that things had to be floating in pocket change for 30 years... but its not that worn detail is good so when was it lost and how? I love to think back on that!

Chukers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread