Genesee Valley Club hunt gives up a surprise Relic !!!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started the day saturday packing up my supplies and detectors to head out to the Genesee valley hunt which was being held at the Beaver Meadows Camp ground here in Western NY. Now anyone that has hunted in those organized hunts know that they can be a great time, seeing people that you havn't seen in years or just entering and finding plenty of planted silver coins and prize tokens. The first two hunts were fine , i found my share of silver coins but that token had eluded me so far that day. With the third and final hunt almost ready to start I decided to work my way around the out side of the hunt area and try to pick up some targets that may have been missed by the other hunters, while doing so I got a very low number on the VDI screen on the Whites XLT I was useing it kept reading 18 kinda low for any of the tokens planted and definately low for any silver coin. But it was a great hit at 3 to 4 inches so I decided to dig it.

Now I have been hunting at this hunt for the last 6 or 7 years and that field has had 100's of people hunting and when i dug this Button I thought it was just a common recent one off of some hunters coat . So I just threw it in my pouch and kept hunting. :)

Now after the hunt ended and all the coins and targets were found I decided to go to my truck took off my pouch and just set it in the truck......a couple of hour later I decided to clean the coins and while doing so I seen the button and when I pulled it out I could not believe it......... :o a Civil war Eagle Cuff Button and a first for me . I have found a few in the past but not this type.....So it seemed to be the talk after the hunt for the reason that this place has been pounded by a number of good hunters and for this to be missed was amazing.......!!! You would think every little piece of anything would not have lasted with that bunch of crazy treasure hunters in that field! I guess the statement ( no site is ever hunted out deffinately applied to this one) .....

The Indian Head 1893 and the wheat cent were found up along the road at the same camp ground .......The campground had a number of old home sites in the area , that may explain the button and other items being there! Thanks

HH and Keep on Digging!

Attachments

• P7300007 Medium Web view.jpg
    P7300007 Medium Web view.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 5,464
  • P7300006 Medium Web view.jpg
    P7300006 Medium Web view.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 5,457
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005