1819 L.C .Droped 57 cal and a trap !

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a great start to 2012 , hooked up with DHD and we headed out to my good spot . We hit the field for about 3 hours DHD got some C.W lead and a peice we have to ID . I ended up with 1 dropped 57 cal and a 1819 L.C and towards the end of the day I dug up a old Victor small game trap . That is a first , it wasnt set or anything it had been sprung many years ago and burried about 4 inches deep .

Thanks for looking !

Attachments

• rsz_dsc00326.jpg
    rsz_dsc00326.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 672
  • rsz_dsc00327.jpg
    rsz_dsc00327.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 667
  • rsz_dsc00329.jpg
    rsz_dsc00329.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 666
  • rsz_dsc00330.jpg
    rsz_dsc00330.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 671
Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That's not a Victor trap, I don't think I can spell the name correctly, but I used them attempting to trap beaver on the Carson River in the mid '60's. It's a humane instant kill trap, called a Conabare?? I'll do a search and see if I can find the proper name. OK, I did a search, didn't look too hard, couldn't find the brand name I used, but found this.

Duke #330 Body Grip trap is designed for use in a wide variety of predator control, fur trapping and wildlife management. Trap works well on the ground, suspended, submerged in water, under ice or when covered with light snow. When used properly they result in a quick, humane kill. Should not be used where they might trap non-target animals. Target Animals: beaver, otter, coyote and bobcat sized animals. Jaw Spread. 10”

Duke Set Tool is Strongly Recommended For Setting This Trap.

Of course the beaver trap would be much larger. I said I tried to use them trapping beaver, well I have a funny story about the strongly recommended tool for setting the trap. I'd caught the one and only beaver I ever caught, decided I was such a good trapper I didn't need the setting tool, and trapped my arm half way up to my elbow. Didn't particularly hurt, but was hard to get off. Decided to trap coyotes instead, using leg traps. After I set a bunch of traps, a coyote dug them all up except one, and he pooped on that one, I gave up being a trapper.

OP
OP
Ifoundit69

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey bosnmate

I found the same exact trap on ebay listed as below

VICTOR #120 CONIBEAR BODYGRIP TRAPS (QTY 3) USA NEW

looks exactly the same to me .

Attachments

• rsz_victor_conibar_trap_120.jpg
    rsz_victor_conibar_trap_120.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 710

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ifoundit69 said:
Hey bosnmate

Its this a 120 used in water only Illegal on land in my state (Pa) 330s are more for trapping bear!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes,its a #220 Connibear....#330 for Beaver and likely a Victor.Duke didnt come into play until the last 15 years.These are a very humane trap and are dangerous to those that dont know what they are doing.I have set THOUSANDS of them.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BosnMate said:
That's not a Victor trap, I don't think I can spell the name correctly, but I used them attempting to trap beaver on the Carson River in the mid '60's. It's a humane instant kill trap, called a Conabare?? I'll do a search and see if I can find the proper name. OK, I did a search, didn't look too hard, couldn't find the brand name I used, but found this.

Duke #330 Body Grip trap is designed for use in a wide variety of predator control, fur trapping and wildlife management. Trap works well on the ground, suspended, submerged in water, under ice or when covered with light snow. When used properly they result in a quick, humane kill. Should not be used where they might trap non-target animals. Target Animals: beaver, otter, coyote and bobcat sized animals. Jaw Spread. 10”

Duke Set Tool is Strongly Recommended For Setting This Trap.

Of course the beaver trap would be much larger. I said I tried to use them trapping beaver, well I have a funny story about the strongly recommended tool for setting the trap. I'd caught the one and only beaver I ever caught, decided I was such a good trapper I didn't need the setting tool, and trapped my arm half way up to my elbow. Didn't particularly hurt, but was hard to get off. Decided to trap coyotes instead, using leg traps. After I set a bunch of traps, a coyote dug them all up except one, and he pooped on that one, I gave up being a trapper.

Not many can set a #330 without a tool I can and did for years.I did have a #330 go off on my arm and broke it....not fun.These should NEVER be set on dry land regardless of laws.
Bosn.....you traps "smelled",of human.You must boil them and take great precaution or you will never fool Mr. Fox or coyote

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

Oops! I stand corrected. Like I said, I wasn't much of a trapper, plus my experience was about 50 years ago, and all these years I thought Conibear was the brand name. Had no idea Victor made the trap. I relate Victor to leg hold traps, or at least have in the past, I know better now. I remember I bought two of the Conibear traps large enough to catch a beaver, and tried to use borrowed leg hold traps to catch a coyote. With the Conibear I caught three things, one beaver, one very large porcupine, and myself. With the leg traps I caught nothing.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BosnMate said:

Oops! I stand corrected. Like I said, I wasn't much of a trapper, plus my experience was about 50 years ago, and all these years I thought Conibear was the brand name. Had no idea Victor made the trap. I relate Victor to leg hold traps, or at least have in the past, I know better now. I remember I bought two of the Conibear traps large enough to catch a beaver, and tried to use borrowed leg hold traps to catch a coyote. With the Conibear I caught three things, one beaver, one very large porcupine, and myself. With the leg traps I caught nothing.

:thumbsup:Victor makes all kinds of traps from Mouse to Wolf

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allen said:
that trap looks dangerous, can you let my wife borrow it ? lol
Ouch! :whip2:

Top Member Reactions