Gold Carnelian Brooch

mattdiver

Aug 31, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Whites Surfmaster PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this gold carnelian brooch some time ago. when I dug it in pasture field the stone was out of the setting and pin missing . I had it reset and a new pin added . The local jewellery shop stated it was gold .They liked it so much they gave me an offer to buy but I declined . I have been informed it is either Georgian or Victorian. I did email picture of brooch to the Finds liason officer recently to try to guage an age but never heard anything. There are no hallmarks and the gold looks a good quality. Any input would be welcome. Thank you for looking.

Attachments

• DSC01891.JPG
    DSC01891.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 668
  • DSC01897.JPG
    DSC01897.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 708
  • DSC01894.JPG
    DSC01894.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 712
  • DSC01896.JPG
    DSC01896.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 674
Upvote 0

Sluice Box

Jan 1, 2012
The cold north
Detector(s) used
ACE 150, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty good find for searching in a pasture field... Seems to shine very nice. Good find!

Sluice Box

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
mattdiver, The brooch is defiantly custom,I would say Victorian era. Goes to show you things pop up in the oddest places,this is where RESEARCH pays off! Very beautiful brooch indeed!!!! Cheers mate! God Bless Chris

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, that is one sweet find!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The BEST finds are in the pasture fields. :wink:

That is a beautiful piece--it will be a family heirloom for you, and I don't blame you for keeping it. So nice that it has not been damaged by a plough in the past.

Congratulations,

Buckleboy

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Late Victorian seems right, you were lucky to get the stone :headbang: (looks about 18-22K) :thumbsup:

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find and a lovely stone. If it's going to be worn I would suggest a small safety chain or some sort of secure clasp on the back.

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Must have been some rich cows, all the cows down here have brass jewelry, bummer. Great find! HH

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had some carnelian which looked like life savers in shape with the hole in the center. People would run a Italian 14 gold "Box" chain thru the hole to wear.
I had 3 in a ring box for sale along with rings and a Hispanic National with Child (I think was a Illegal Alien) was walking away laughing. I looked at my jewlery case and saw she put a penny in the carnelian's place.
I stopped her and asked for my piece back. she replied: No Habla English? She tried Not to understand me.
I called security for them to ask her for my property back but they said no and they had other things to do.
I never sold my stuff there anymore.
I know it is popular in Asia and in China Towns in Los Angeles the Carnelian is sold at a low reasonable price but some reguard it like Jade. I have seen what looks like carnelian mixed in red/orangeish & white like a milky agate and it is called jade also Milky white with green jade also called jade.
The carnelian is a nice piece. Years ago I also had a ring with a delicate florantine 14 gold fancy design, I was blind in love and gave it to my girlfriend later to find out she pawned it.
Hold on to your beautiful find my friend and hope you have many great finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread