Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody's gonna have to tie my feet to the ground!

OK...new site....started out on the back 40 by the barn. Got tired of hauling the shovel around and digging great big holes only to find car tags and such had been distributed around, about two feet under. So I headed for the front yard of the house. Was getting late, and I knew the ballgame was coming on at 6:30, so I was trying to hurry around and see what I was in for there. After about 15 minutes I was huntin under one of the old apple trees and dug this BUTTONNNNNN! I was rolling around on the ground like that little baby jenny! :D My newest favorite find. ;D I thought...I just gotta stay a few more minutes! Dug all kinds of stuff...some stuff I don't even know what it is. :D Got a wheat and a little tin...kinda like the ones that the Bayer asprin come in. I haven't opened it yet. Somebody PLEASE tell me what the button is for sure. :) I don't have a clue as to how to clean it properly either. I just ran some water over it and brushed it lightly with a toothbrush. After yesterday's fiasco with that button, I figured I better leave well enough alone. ;) What a day...Nana's so happy.

Attachments

• 0928rollingontheground.JPG
    0928rollingontheground.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 3,498
  • 0928momand baby.JPG
    0928momand baby.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 3,479
  • 0928dayonthefarm.JPG
    0928dayonthefarm.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 3,412
Upvote 0

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful button, Nanners. That's better than a coin anyday!! :o

Thanks for the great pictures, again. I always enjoy them.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi nana,thats one awsome button you found and congrats.

tinpan :o :o :o

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Wat a sweet find, Nana! Kind of makes me think Karma was your hunting partner after returning the class ring. ;) Was looking at the wing sweep, it's different than most pics I've seen. Is the back somewhat concave and is the shank intact? Is there any possible way of making out any backmark without further cleaning as I wouldn't clean it anymore.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really love that piece of shotgun shell brass you found! Uh...oh yes, did you find a button too? ;) I've seen that type button somewhere else on the forum and recently too.....I think? Great finds. I hope some of us bring a few of our finds to JD's upcoming hunt. Will be nice to swap stories and actually see some of the loot we all read about. Congratulations Nana, great find. Monty

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Re: Some Kind of Happy Dance Under The Apple Tree, PBK help!

Great finds Nana!! I love the button. Looks like a beautiful spot to detect!

kenb

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any chance of a good pic of the back of that button NANA ?

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Nice one, Nana!

Yep... need to see a sharp closeup of the back, too. Pattern is similar to that of C.W. general service eagle buttons and certain militia buttons of about the same period, but the details are not quite the same as those of any I've seen.

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again Nana.......Like I said in the earlier thread, You have a special button there. The Button is not in the Alberts Blue book on Historic Buttons which may be a good thing. The Spread Eagle design is that of plenty of early buttons going back to the Revolutionary war up to the War of 1812. I would say mabe a Diplomatic Button from around that time period. :)

If you look at early George washington Buttons the spread wings were common . Just food for thought!! Here is a couple of pics from some early buttons ....Will keep working on it!

Seeker

Attachments

• Picture 272 Medium Web view.jpg
    Picture 272 Medium Web view.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 2,753
  • Picture 279 Medium Web view.jpg
    Picture 279 Medium Web view.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 2,747

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nana,
That is an amazing find..... you have even got PBK lost on that one ;D

God bless
Peter

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
From what I understand, the shape of the head,straightness of the neck and the shape of the wings is what makes this button one of the very early ones, before the Civil War...I think Seeker is on the right track here and
Nana ,I would get back to that apple tree and search some more. You have a really good find here and I hope you find more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread