Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody's gonna have to tie my feet to the ground!

OK...new site....started out on the back 40 by the barn. Got tired of hauling the shovel around and digging great big holes only to find car tags and such had been distributed around, about two feet under. So I headed for the front yard of the house. Was getting late, and I knew the ballgame was coming on at 6:30, so I was trying to hurry around and see what I was in for there. After about 15 minutes I was huntin under one of the old apple trees and dug this BUTTONNNNNN! I was rolling around on the ground like that little baby jenny! :D My newest favorite find. ;D I thought...I just gotta stay a few more minutes! Dug all kinds of stuff...some stuff I don't even know what it is. :D Got a wheat and a little tin...kinda like the ones that the Bayer asprin come in. I haven't opened it yet. Somebody PLEASE tell me what the button is for sure. :) I don't have a clue as to how to clean it properly either. I just ran some water over it and brushed it lightly with a toothbrush. After yesterday's fiasco with that button, I figured I better leave well enough alone. ;) What a day...Nana's so happy.

Attachments

• 0928rollingontheground.JPG
    0928rollingontheground.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 3,498
  • 0928momand baby.JPG
    0928momand baby.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 3,479
  • 0928dayonthefarm.JPG
    0928dayonthefarm.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 3,412
Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Seeker said:
Hey Nana.........That is one great find and I think it is older than a union Civil war Eagle buttons that we have seen. The Eagle looks like some of the early buttons in the 1800's .......I will look it up for you shorlty here in some of the books I have....Congrats on an Excellent find!!! I hope its a rare one! Great Pics also. :o :o
ditto item far right middle is a pocket watch inside plate

dasabighole

Sep 11, 2006
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Nautilus / Tesoro/T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Nana Its post war 2 piece Gen service. In your last pics though is a coin button it could be war period, {War of Northern Aggresion 1861-1865} or earlier. Keep at that site, any place you find flat buttons {coin} is good. Also save pottery or china shards to help date the site. The round iron ring is a wagon wheel hub band,flattend brass thing looks like an Alladdin lamp type burner. Did you notice any blue or green feather edge china shards? Google Leeds ware for info.

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
the yellow item at the top of the last pic looks like an old no.2 pencil to me..... they were used to write letters and do home work and things like that... they have all but been replaced with ball point pens and "notepad" found on most computers....lol......... awesome stuff Nana

Marty

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neat button, Nana! I like the buckles and other relics too. Great pictures of the place too, I love to see the places where these things are found.

HH
Rusted

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG! Nice button!

I found a very similar one this January.

viewfile.cfm

The Albert book's backmark index indicates mine would be Civil War era, according to the dates that company was active (and used that particular backmark). But the style of eagle is definitely different from the other "Yankee" buttons I have dug on Civil War sites around here. Some folks told me it was more from the Indian Wars era, and they called this style of eagle the "Chicken Eagle". I tend to believe the folks that say mine is post-Civil War, as that agrees with what I'd initially thought of it (despite what the Albert book said).

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HA HA Smarty Marty! :D

Das....I think the button you are refurring to is not an old button. It's a big blue button, and the back side is what I took the pic of. And I haven't found any china shards yet, but I have found the old pottery stuff.

Thanks for all the replies and id's ya'll! :)

Nana :)

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome button Nana! I'm jealous, I haven't had a dance worthy find in quite a while! Congrats on a really cool find!

Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Famous-Trails-MD9100 ACE250-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana that's a amazing find! Studying the pics carefully I also think its nothing like the others, maybe it was suppose to be like one pictured but instead was a part of only a handful made before the design was changed??
I hope is worth heaps :)

HH
Tom

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Daniel in Ak

Feb 23, 2005
Alaska
Nana.....
It's been a coon's age since I've even looked at any sites lately,but anyhow you have one helliva long post going lol! and I couldnt muster reading thru everyones replys hahaha!
Anyhow what you have is absolutly an Indian Wars Era period button,and If you need to know anything baout the period I have a big library collection going,because growing up in Cochise County Arizona near Tombstone,I've found tons of these buttons......well maybe a few hundred ;)
After the Civil War the eagles started to change and thru the 1870's accroutments changed dramatically and it seems very often,until the 1880's when the eagle again changed to your style of eagle and narrow shield...which I cant tell,but is the shield raised off the breast of the eagle? It's been two years since I've looked at any materilals in my reference library but Im thinking your eagle button is about the 1883 period time frame,even tho the back is gone on yours the face still helps,I'll try and get into my books tonight and really dive into the time frame for ya....
I may forget to get back here and check things out and you can also reach me at [email protected] to e-mail to remind me to check it out for ya,and If all else fails I can take pictures of my buttons and help you with the dating,but Im busy right now and i better get as this turned into a freaking novel :) Daniel

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ya'll!

Daniel...would absolutely love to see a picture of what it's suppose to look like. :) Thanks a bunch! Now get out there and go huntin!

Nana :)

Daniel in Ak

Feb 23, 2005
Alaska
I have to laugh cause I was a year off on that button date Nana.....
Finally found the book I was looking for and the info I have is that button was manufactured from 1884-1902.I'll have to get back on posting pictures of the buttons later its a getting late here now.And by the way nice going on the button I love the Indian Wars period anything,especially buttons :) Daniel

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This deserve's 100+....couldn't stand lookin' at it anymore!!!!....

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nana..This deserve's a 100+......nice find!!.....couldn't stand lookin' at that 98 anymore....HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread