May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was my last day off as I return to work tomorrow (after an extended X-Mas Holiday :wink: ). Thankfully there was a break in the wet & very windy weather. I'm glad I didn't try yesterday, as the only road/lane to the field had a huge tree blown across it (cut & cleared now), must have been yesterday which would have blocked my way back with the bike. :o
I spent 4 hours on my own continuing the rather difficult land I started to grid recently. I was having a bad few hours & my mind was dreaming up a likely good find from this field, the best I was hoping for was a complete Medieval Buckle. You never expect a Gold Coin but it was furthest from my mind & I had no clues that this field was going to do anything this good :o It's taken Dad & I over 2 years to find another Gold Coin, but I'm so glad 2012 is made already, so the pressure is off for the rest of the year :laughing7:

Other finds of the day:
4 Scrappy Roman Coins
2 Lead Tokens
Tudor Clothes Fastener (Rose)
Leather Mount (circa 17th C) – Man in the moon & star to right
17th C Lead Cap (powder flask)

There are less than 50 Recorded examples of this type :headbang:
Celtic Gold Quarter Stater
CUNOBELINE
AD10-20AD
Wild Type Horse Right

Corn Ear
VA-1935.01
CA[MV]
Minted - Camulodunum (Colchester)

Let me tell you, I was so pleased with the coin, it got a Rex Hunt Kiss (but no throwing back) :laughing9: :blob8:

My first ever Celtic Gold Coin (some years ago) was this very same type, however it was a full Stater & this is a Quarter. So now I have the full set 8) - I pictured it next to my first coin to show how much smaller this one is :icon_thumright:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Celtic-Catuvellauni-gold-quarter-stater-Wild-type-/120696388043
See one listed for sale above.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 4,925
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 4,843
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 4,833
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 4,801
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 4,809
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 4,856
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 4,807
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 4,748
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 6,411
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 6,409
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 4,693
Upvote 8

Celtic

Mar 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet & thanks for dredging up an old good memory. Its no probs to give you an ID for that lovely Qrter Stater, you are lucky that it is well centred on both sides, this is what the top collectors want.

In the most recent book its 'VERY RARE' & 26 were recorded on the old CCI.
It was traditionally classified as Kentish (Kent is a County), but now thought to be part of the Celleva coinage.
Gold Quarter Stater
Ruler - EPPILLUS circa 20BC -1AD
Rev: EPPIL . COM F
Obv: Winged Pegasus

Spink 2015 prices it at:
Fine - £135
Very Fine - £375
As yours is a well centred Ex Fine, its hard to guess the price.

Thanks very much. I'm keeping it as I think it quite a pretty design but of course it will eventually be given away or sold in a few decades (I hope :icon_thumright: ). When that time I guess I should arrange for it to go back to England and maybe the nearest city or county there.

I'm happy to find out what the inscription says and where it's thought to originate. Now off to read something about those people.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Celtic

Mar 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm not nominating that coin I bought for a banner but you might think it funny it was lost from Winter 2007 / 2008 to Winter 2014 / 2015. I only found it a month ago in a pile of dirt I was sweeping up after going though all my boxes I had brought back from Switzerland and dumping the dirt out of them on the ground. I had thought it was long lost and was lucky to even notice it as small as it is and it's not as shiny in dim light on the floor in a pile of dirt as in that picture.

Other interesting things I really did find was a Bulova gold watch that I found in the St Mary's River empties into the Atlantic Ocean on the Amelia Island, Florida side. I found that rubbing my hands on the ocean sand looking for sand dollars. It still worked after it dried and I wound it.

And I fold a gold class ring with a red stone of some sort from Ohio University in London, Kentucky on the side walk but that was luck as I typically walk with my looking down.

Those 2 things were found when I was not even 15. They were stolen before too long like everything else I had had of value in those days, i.e. those two gold items, and a giant fossil shark's tooth as big a my 12 year old hand.

The only time I used a metal detector was when me & friends visited Sur Selva and Disentis looking for gold. We didn't find anything but I did bring a Geiger Counter and every single piece of granite I tested was radioactive! Well I did find a glass clear quartz crystal in the dirt of the river bank when were walking up the river along.

In US, unfortunately no ancient coins and such but I can search for fossils, geodes, gold, and gemstones. The fossils and geodes are easy but the really popular or pretty ones are rare. The gold and gemstones; well, it is rare to find something besides a bit of gold dust and tiny placers that aren't too resalable for the gold and the gemstones is in this area are even rarer to find something resalable. Actually I have to drive 200 to 300 miles (300 - 450 km) for the looking for gold and gem stones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread