GAR Badge

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
This GAR badge was given to me a couple of days ago. Although it doesn't have a pin or any way to wear it, I'm calling it a badge for lack of a better term. The badge is made from bronze melted from captured confederate cannons. The center of the badge is the figure of the goddess of liberty. On either side of her is a soldier and sailor clasping hands. Below them are two children receiving benediction and assurance of protection. On each side there are the National Flag and an eagle, representing freedom, and the axe and bundle of rods represent the Union. In each point of the star is the insignia of the various branches of service. The horn is for infantry, the crossed cannons for artillery, the crossed muskets for marines, the crossed sabers for cavalry, and the anchor for the navy. Over the central group are the words "Grand Army of the Republic" and under the figures, "1861 -- Veterans -- 1866.

GAR1B.jpg

The reverse side represents a branch of laurel, the crown and reward of the brave in each point of the star. The National Shield is in the center, surrounded by the 24 recognized Corps Badges, numerically arranged. Around the center is a circle of stars representing the states of the union comprising the Grand Army of the Republic.

GAR6B.jpg

The next photo shows the badge with a penny for size, and the small GAR lapel pin that was my Great Grandfathers. He was in the 181st Ohio Volunteer Infantry.

GAR4B.jpg

Next photo is a close up of the lapel pin. It's shows the same as the center of the badge.

GAR2B.jpg

Last I'm showing the back of the lapel pin. This is the part that screws onto the stud to hold the pin on the lapel. It's bent, so it's hard to get a good photo, but it show a pot cooking over a campfire.

GAR3B.jpg

Upvote 0

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is a stunning badge!

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I dug one a couple of years ago. It's the bottom part of a medal. If you look at the inside edge of the top 2 star points, you'll see a tiny hole. A small rod went between the holes, and it hung from a silk ribbon the top piece of the medal had the pin-back. You'll also notice that there is a number stamped into the edge of the badge. The only thing I can find out is that the letter corresponds with the last name of the G.A.R. President at the time it was made. There seems to be no data base on these numbers. I find it hard to believe that they would have went to the trouble to individually number each one without keeping a record. ?? If you get any info, please post.

Happy Hunting!!
Cm2db

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
Rather than a badge, maybe it is a coin?? Even today, Army officers (and other branches, perhaps?) give out their coins on special occasions. Sometimes, whoever has the highest ranking coin, say from a General vs. from a Colonel, gets their drink bought for them.

At any rate, some coins are not round, but of various shapes. Even a star shaped coin is possible...

Whatever it is, it is really cool!! :icon_thumleft:

Tony (NC)

Dec 3, 2008
Claremont, NC
You have the lower portion of a GAR membership badge. Just curious....is yours numbered? I understand it is next to impossible to find out who they were issued to. I know I tried on this one but got no where. Here is the one I have in my collection.

Congratulations.....That's a COOL piece!

Attachments

• GAR4.jpg
    GAR4.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 457
  • GAR5.jpg
    GAR5.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 478
  • GAR1.jpg
    GAR1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 748
  • GAR1.jpg
    GAR1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 371
  • GAR Medal Edge.jpg
    GAR Medal Edge.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 703
  • GAR4.jpg
    GAR4.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 432
  • GAR5.jpg
    GAR5.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 452

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice GAR Badge. Many times the "Pot cooking over a Fire" is on the top Eagle Portion as well but I notice it is not on the back of Tony's. Sort of a symbol of unity that all the soldiers could relate to still "camping in the field" so to speak during their reunions.

Attachments

• GAR Medal-Eagle.jpg
    GAR Medal-Eagle.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 366

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread