Unbelievable Civil War Camp (Warning Contains Stunning Relics/Great Pictures)

pitdiggers

Feb 16, 2009
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Shadow X5, Tesoro Cibola, Minelab XTerra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey TNET,

It's been a while since my last post but life sometimes just gets in the way of digging... Or maybe I was just waiting for a post that would blow your socks off. Today we decided to hit a new site that we have been looking into and little did we know what we were getting ourselves into. It has been a while since I have done a full day of digging and this was one of those days where you just couldn't stop. The site appears to be a Union camp based upon the research we have done as well as the real supporting evidence.... the relics! The day started off with only the occasional bullet until we stumbled upon the money hole. We began popping bullet after bullet with the occasional uniform button or knapsack hook. The sight of green brass in the hole is always a welcome sight, however the ground action wasn't too kind to many of the buttons. Most of the button backs we found did have matching fronts but as soon as they met the air they crumbled into what seemed like hundreds of pieces. The first great find of the day sounded just like any of the other button backs but instead out popped a star and crescent cape pin (our FIRST). This was just the start to the list of incredible relics we found today. After admiring the relics during a quick break it was back to metal detecting. The next hit was a solid signal on the MXT and was almost too good to be true which means almost always a Mason jar lid or can. After flipping over the plug there laid the white oval back of a cartridge box plate and the impression in the mud of the "U". After flipping it over and doing a quick celebration it was back to digging. Within a 20 yard radius there was soon to be three more plates coming out of the ground; another cartridge box plate, a carbine sling buckle, and a puppy paw "US" buckle. I normally dream of a one plate day nowadays yet today it was an unbelievable 4 plate day. Well instead of writing a book about every second of the day I'll let the pictures tell the rest. Hope you enjoy! What a great start to the year!
Oh wait don't forget the list of today's finds....
2 US cartridge box plates
1 US puppy paw belt buckle
1 carbine sling buckle
2 canteen spouts (1 engraved JNW)
200+ bullets (I lost count at about 206)
1 cape pin
1 brass artillery fuse
Buttons include general service eagles, eagle I's, Connecticut cuff, and New York cuff and coat
Knapsack hooks
3 bayonet scabbard tips
Camp lead
Various brass buckles, fasteners, grommets, and etc.

Happy hunting,

Pitdiggers

Attachments

• bullet1.jpg
    bullet1.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 6,490
  • Button1.jpg
    Button1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 7,664
  • Canteen1.jpg
    Canteen1.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 6,374
  • Hook1.jpg
    Hook1.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 6,580
  • EagleI1.jpg
    EagleI1.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 6,289
  • Bullets.jpg
    Bullets.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 6,253
  • Brass1.jpg
    Brass1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 6,448
  • imprint1.jpg
    imprint1.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 6,289
  • Freshdugbuckle.jpg
    Freshdugbuckle.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 6,208
  • Dirty1.jpg
    Dirty1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 6,084
  • Buckles1.jpg
    Buckles1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 6,188
Upvote 0

jb58

May 22, 2009
missouri
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
super duper finds!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

M

MiniMe

:o :o :o You hit the mother load! I wouldn't have wanted to leave.... :D Awesome place. :thumbsup:

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is unreal for this day and age.

And to think it had been hunted before.

Whenever I see a post like this, I always think about the history saved.

There are some morons who would rather see it rot in the ground than saved by us.

We have one here in Louisville who's ultimate goal is to outlaw hunting on private land.

Nice Save and congratulations on the Banner.

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um wow?!! Don't know what else to say. I'm usually quite exuberant when I uncover a few bullets that someone else missed. I can only dream about a hunt like you had with your sons. And speaking as a father, what a memory to have of a day spent with your sons! WOW WOW WOW. Not sure which I would treasure more really, the memory of the day or the finds themselves.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding job all the war around PD! As I like to say, Virginia still has the goodies. I have 4 good machines but my favorite is still the MXT - she's a real work horse. Thanks for sharing.

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice indeed, thats what keeps dreams alive... Thanks for sharing and saving that history

Cw

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
killer hunt!!!!!!! MR TUFF

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day to be hunting. If that was just one day then I am sure there will be much much more to come.
Congratulations!
HH
TnMtns

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup--Incredible!

All the best,

Lanny

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the way to go Pitdigger, that's how i feel about things, A person lets me hunt there property, and i find stuff OR anything that relates back to the family, It goes back to the family, It's the least you can do for the privilege of looking......IMO HH, And By the Way that's the most awesome finds I've ever seen outta one site. Wish i could have gotten into this GREAT hobby years ago

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow nice pics...Title is correct...They are stunning!

cumberlandgray

Nov 24, 2009
Congratulations!!! Amazing finds!!

pitdiggers said:
Hey TNET,

It's been a while since my last post but life sometimes just gets in the way of digging... Or maybe I was just waiting for a post that would blow your socks off. Today we decided to hit a new site that we have been looking into and little did we know what we were getting ourselves into. It has been a while since I have done a full day of digging and this was one of those days where you just couldn't stop. The site appears to be a Union camp based upon the research we have done as well as the real supporting evidence.... the relics! The day started off with only the occasional bullet until we stumbled upon the money hole. We began popping bullet after bullet with the occasional uniform button or knapsack hook. The sight of green brass in the hole is always a welcome sight, however the ground action wasn't too kind to many of the buttons. Most of the button backs we found did have matching fronts but as soon as they met the air they crumbled into what seemed like hundreds of pieces. The first great find of the day sounded just like any of the other button backs but instead out popped a star and crescent cape pin (our FIRST). This was just the start to the list of incredible relics we found today. After admiring the relics during a quick break it was back to metal detecting. The next hit was a solid signal on the MXT and was almost too good to be true which means almost always a Mason jar lid or can. After flipping over the plug there laid the white oval back of a cartridge box plate and the impression in the mud of the "U". After flipping it over and doing a quick celebration it was back to digging. Within a 20 yard radius there was soon to be three more plates coming out of the ground; another cartridge box plate, a carbine sling buckle, and a puppy paw "US" buckle. I normally dream of a one plate day nowadays yet today it was an unbelievable 4 plate day. Well instead of writing a book about every second of the day I'll let the pictures tell the rest. Hope you enjoy! What a great start to the year!
Oh wait don't forget the list of today's finds....
2 US cartridge box plates
1 US puppy paw belt buckle
1 carbine sling buckle
2 canteen spouts (1 engraved JNW)
200+ bullets (I lost count at about 206)
1 cape pin
1 brass artillery fuse
Buttons include general service eagles, eagle I's, Connecticut cuff, and New York cuff and coat
Knapsack hooks
3 bayonet scabbard tips
Camp lead
Various brass buckles, fasteners, grommets, and etc.

Happy hunting,

Pitdiggers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread