Early Morning Hunt with Worldtalker, My First Silver Half!!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Woke up nice and early yesterday morning to go swing with Worldtalker. The 7am temp was 25F, by 2pm the temp was 55F. He took me to a nice old farm that he has permission to hunt. We started out hunting the main field, but soon realized that the frozen earth was going to get the better of us (I did manage to score a nice little Ox knob first). Once we moved into the woods the digging became much easier. Chris and I were hitting plenty of old shotgun shells and pull tabs, but the good targets were few and far between. We followed the banks of a medium sized stream that had seen some serious erosion. Chris crossed over into a low flat area full of some nice hardwoods. I worked the shore of the stream where some larger gravel had settled. I was digging a target that was under the frozen gravel when I heard Chris yell over that he scored a nice silver quarter. I almost gave up digging my target to go hit the same area, but something about the signal told me to keep digging. I had to undercut the frozen gravel by digging in from the stream. I checked to pile of dirt with my Excal and sure enough, I heard the beautiful high tone I was hoping for. The water washed away the sand and I saw the gleam of silver. I called Chris over and as I took it out of the water. It was a half, my first (silver) half, and it was a 1952 Franklin! I was ecstatic. After settling down, I hunted the stream a bit more before crossing over and looking in the woods. I only found a zincoln and Chris wasn't finding too much more either, so he suggested a new spot. We packed up and headed to an old mill site he has had a lot of success at in the past. I managed to pull a nice '46 quarter out of the side of the path and Chris found his third revolver from that site. All in all it was a great day out. Thanks, Chris!

Attachments

• DSCN1527.JPG
    DSCN1527.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 783
  • DSCN1528.JPG
    DSCN1528.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 788
  • DSCN1525.JPG
    DSCN1525.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 784
Upvote 0

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Jason, I'm looking forward to this spring to hit that old raft anchor point!!!!!Here's one I hope you like of old Ben! Good going mr. silver!!!God Bless Chris

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 776
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 777

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet half. Doesn't get much better than that!

SeatedorBust

Nov 5, 2011
Carthage, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/ SunRay Probe Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Digs!!! Way to get out off the "Beaten Path" and boy did it pay off!! :headbang:

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
SeatedorBust said:
Great Digs!!! Way to get out off the "Beaten Path" and boy did it pay off!! :headbang:
BobinSouthVA said:
awesome half, still looking for my first.

:icon_thumleft:

Thank you very much! Yeah, I can't wait to explore some more out of the way places.

Chris, Thanks again!

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love those Franklin Halfs and the dog tags are always fun! You and Chris keep at it!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your post made me smile. My first and only half dollar was a 1952 Frankilin. They sure look good right out of the ground. I wish you many more.

Ed D.

shane41

Sep 7, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 . Bounty Hunter, Vibra Probe 570 Garrett Pin Pointer AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find I found my first Silver Half 1952 last year , Is great feeling to dig one of them up Hope you find more

BURLIVES

Apr 14, 2009
Northeastern Pa.
Detector(s) used
CZ 6a
Nice Franklin there....Franklins are tough to find anymore. They for the most part were ot of regular circulation by late 65 early 66. Congrats!

digsallday

Oct 18, 2010
Think you should have done the silver dance on that one. I don't do it very often but on big silver you bet I do. You'll remember where you found that coin forever. Congrats on a great find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread