deltamann

Sep 30, 2010
Northern New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F-75 LTD, Blisstool V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took off 3 weeks off from work and I was able to do allot of diggin before, during, and after the holidays.

I was fortunate in finding allot of quality relics during my time off and I was able to find a couple of eagle breast plates , some nice carbine and pistol bullets, other odds and ends, some nice silver including a 1852 half dime and black onyx brooch, and my best Confederate button yet, a 23mm "CN" Confederate Navy Button with all of the gold gilt and a nice straight shank with a back mark of " Courtney & Tennent" Charleston.

I dug Confederate Navy button yesterday in Central Virginia in the back yard of a Civil War era house which is still occupied where I sifted through a ton of junk. Creskol (Rob) got me addicted to hunting around old house sites! Thanks Rob!

I had my F-75 LTD set in the all metal mode and I was sifting through a bunch of iron and junk with my new SEF 10 X 12 coil. This is something that I couldn't do with the stock coil. I was working extremely slow and about 2 feet from the side of the house I got a nice 85-92 reading which I was sure was a nice silver coin or piece of jewelry. I dug down and about 10-12 inches in the hard pack muddy soil, this big two piece button popped out of the hole. It had been raining a few days before and the button was caked with muck and mud. I poured a little water on it and I saw that it was full of gold gilt and I saw the "CN" letters on the bottom of the button. I was excited beyond all belief.

It is listed in Tice's Book Page #237-238/CSN210 "A" as being the most collectible of the Naval buttons that he has listed in the book. I have looked on line and I can't find any that are 23mm with all the gilt still on and with a straight shank.

Thanks for looking!

Upvote 0

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT SCORE!!! Maybe a gold coin is next!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Real nice Barry .. You are on fire! You are the "Button Magnet" for sure! Congratulations!

I cast my vote for BANNER!

U

umrgolf

I didnt know there was a "C.N" variety. All Ive seen read "CSN" Great find, mist be rare Id guess :headbang:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That button is so SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!Them spoons,heck,it's all so SWEET!! God Bless Chris

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That button belongs on the Finds Banner. It has everything going for it: Rarity, Quality, and Eye Appeal.

BRAVO! :thumbsup:

Banner Nomination Sent.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf said:

These are a real type, listed in Tice as CSN210A1, 23mm. If dug with the other items pictured above (and the specimen in question is obviously dug), I see no reason to doubt authenticity. The example in the link you posted is very obviously a low-quality fake, judging from the low relief (as seen in the bottoms of the cannons and profile of the anchor), and the letters themselves are shoddy. The button in this post bears the same attributes as Modern Miner's "CSN" version (also made by Courtney & Tennent) which I have already taken the liberty of comparing it with.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

U

umrgolf

BuckleBoy said:
umrgolf said:

These are a real type, listed in Tice as CSN210A1, 23mm. If dug with the other items pictured above (and the specimen in question is obviously dug), I see no reason to doubt authenticity. The example in the link you posted is very obviously a low-quality fake, judging from the low relief (as seen in the bottoms of the cannons and profile of the anchor), and the letters themselves are shoddy. The button in this post bears the same attributes as Modern Miner's "CSN" version (also made by Courtney & Tennent) which I have already taken the liberty of comparing it with.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

oh ok, thanks for clearing it up.. I couldn't get the pictures to load on that link.

Sorry for the misunderstanding .. Great find! Banner from me too

OP
OP
deltamann

deltamann

Sep 30, 2010
Northern New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F-75 LTD, Blisstool V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the button authenticated by a professional dealer who helped me clean it in his shop. I had 2 other hunters with me who witnessed the find which was located about 10 feet from the silver spoons LOL.
I also had 2 other old time hunters with over 80 years experience between them look at it today and they said that it could bring between $3000-$4000 dollars.
I added a photo of the back of the button and the shank to show that it is very rusted and pitted.

Thanks for the wonderful comments!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow what a button! :thumbsup:

U

umrgolf

deltamann said:
I had the button authenticated by a professional dealer who helped me clean it in his shop. I had 2 other hunters with me who witnessed the find which was located about 10 feet from the silver spoons LOL.
I also had 2 other old time hunters with over 80 years experience between them look at it today and they said that it could bring between $3000-$4000 dollars.
I added a photo of the back of the button and the shank to show that it is very rusted and pitted.

Thanks for the wonderful comments!

I'm very glad I was wrong.. wasn't questioning it was dug, was thinking the CN's were repros. forgive me its my mistake, deltamann its a great find and I've put in a banner nomination as well :icon_thumleft:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
There is absolutely no comparison between Delatman's button and the one in the link:

Attachments

• Barry\'sCS.jpg
    Barry\'sCS.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 844

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First Photo: A Fake
Second Photo: Modern Miner's CSN variety
Third Photo: The CN in the original post

These buttons were beautifully made, ultra high relief examples. This one belongs up top. :thumbsup:

CN Fake.JPG
CSN.JPG
CN.jpg

OP
OP
deltamann

deltamann

Sep 30, 2010
Northern New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F-75 LTD, Blisstool V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries...all is forgiven...Thank you for all of the nice comments....This is another find of a lifetime....
Creskol/Rob was with me when I dug the other find of a lifetime...the George Washington Button which is pictured under my handle and to the left of the screen......LOL

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has to be a banner hunt!

U

umrgolf

deltamann said:
No worries...all is forgiven...Thank you for all of the nice comments....This is another find of a lifetime....
Creskol/Rob was with me when I dug the other find of a lifetime...the George Washington Button which is pictured under my handle and to the left of the screen......LOL

My bad, it sounded a lot worse than I intended.. Im sure I haven't heard the end of it :laughing7:

James from TN

Apr 26, 2010
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is one beautiful button! Full of gilt and in perfect condition. That is one rare button. You have my banner vote.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread