From Heart Break to BooYEAH in 6 Hours Flat!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I started the morning by taking my two year old for a walk around a very old and very historic fort near where I live. We were walking past some ramparts where the grass had eroded away leave just soil when I noticed a glint of gold. I scrambled up the bank and lo and behold a gold coin! I immediately saw the ship on one side and my heart started racing a mile a minute! It was heavy but when I flipped it over the excitement died. Turns out it is a 1933 commemorative coin for a visit to the last American whaling ship, the Charles W. Morgan. Given the age of the fort and the history associated with it I think my excitement was well called for, if short lived.

In the afternoon I was able to get out for a couple solo detecting hours to the field I've been hunting this past fall. So far it has not let me down and yesterday was no different. I concentrated on an area that I've ignored, except for one pass through the first day I was there (with Iron Patch and Iron Horse). Surprisingly lot's of targets. Got the usual couple musket balls including a pistol round, a couple lead disc's, spoon frag with silver "X" and the finds of the day. 1st is a 1723 Woods Hibernia copper in the typical crusty condition but easily identifiable.

The find of the day came as a complete surprise. In the field I thought it was a bent coin so into the pouch for later identification. When I got home I was able to see what I thought was a number "1" inside a tudor rose. I did my internet research and was coming up blank. I hit Iron Patch with a PM and asked if he was familiar with that motif but we were still coming up blank. Finally I found a picture online and slapped myself on the forehead! It wasn't a "1" inside a tudor rose...it was. "4". Iron Patch and I knew exactly what that was...a King's American Regiment officer's button!!! It's a little bent and it's crusty but the history is there! From my first hunt with Iron Patch a KAR Loyalist button has been my #1 want...I never thought I would find one within eyesight of my own house! I'm thinking that with a little care I'll be able to coax some detail out of this button.

Attachments

• 08 January 2012 004.jpg
    08 January 2012 004.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,339
  • 08 January 2012 007.jpg
    08 January 2012 007.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,347
  • 08 January 2012 006.jpg
    08 January 2012 006.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,356
  • 08 January 2012 005.jpg
    08 January 2012 005.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,504
  • 08 January 2012 003.jpg
    08 January 2012 003.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,568
Upvote 0

SeatedorBust

Nov 5, 2011
Carthage, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/ SunRay Probe Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet Button!!! Great find especially so close to your house! I guees you just never know..... :headbang:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure looks like it will be better after a quick lemon soak.

The funny part is the last time I guessed the Fusiliers button and ramrod thimble with next to nothing to go on, then the one button I've wanted to find for the last 10 years I draw a blank on! :tard: I didn't tell you, but I have one here that's a UK button, tudor rose in the middle, and once that entered my mind the obvious answer I guess wasn't going to happen.

Far less of that pattern have been found so even though it ain't a stunner you have that in your favor. But regardless, that's a Rev War officer button from an honored regiment. Hard to do much better than that.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:

The funny part is the last time I guessed the Fusiliers button and ramrod thimble with next to nothing to go on, then the one button I've wanted to find for the last 10 years I draw a blank on! :tard: I didn't tell you, but I have one here that's a UK button, tudor rose in the middle, and once that entered my mind the obvious answer I guess wasn't going to happen.

Far less of that pattern have been found so even though it ain't a stunner you have that in your favor. But regardless, that's a Rev War officer button from an honored regiment. Hard to do much better than that.

Couldn't see the forest for the trees...or the roses! :headbang:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:

Couldn't see the forest for the trees...or the roses! :headbang:

Then I seen stars!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding the Loyaltist button, hope it cleans up decent. I passed on the information to Dr Mossman on the recovery of another Wood's Hibernia copper. The commemorative coin is a beautiful find!

Don

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Congrats on finding the Loyaltist button, hope it cleans up decent. I passed on the information to Dr Mossman on the recovery of another Wood's Hibernia copper. The commemorative coin is a beautiful find!

Don

Thanks Don on all counts! Yeah, I really like the commemorative coin and would have LOVED it if it had been an old gold coin. The context of the find was spot on for a discovery like that...but I'll take it anyway...something unique to add to the collection!

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. I like that button even if it is chewed up. Grats on a nice historic piece!

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nooberz said:
Great finds. I like that button even if it is chewed up. Grats on a nice historic piece!

Thanks...even in it's current state it is still going to be my "to beat" target of 2012. As Iron Patch told me yesterday, condition doesn't change the history!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Nooberz said:

Thanks...even in it's current state it is still going to be my "to beat" target of 2012. As Iron Patch told me yesterday, condition doesn't change the history!

It just doesn't get you on the banner. :laughing7:

x 2. :laughing7: :laughing7:

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrats Romeo, that button is number 1 on my button list since I seen IP's and IH digging one right in front of me!!...well I'm between you an IP so there's a chance one is laying around here too..
your last couple of winters have been just as productive as you spring and fall hunts!
:notworthy:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Patriot said:
Big congrats Romeo, that button is number 1 on my button list since I seen IP's and IH digging one right in front of me!!...well I'm between you an IP so there's a chance one is laying around here too..
your last couple of winters have been just as productive as you spring and fall hunts!
:notworthy:

Thanks Patriot...I've got it in the lemon juice right now and am expecting good results!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
well you just made mine less rare ;D

I think its awesome that those buttons are coming out of the woodwork like that, it paints a picture in time each time another shows up

it's pretty amazing that detecting isn't out of the picture for you considering the time of year, happy new year indeed!

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the King's American Regiment after a cleaning. It's no better but no worse. I guess a little more detail can be gleaned...especially in the hand but 99.9% of the gilt was gone. The button was found on a flat area right beside a creek which floods at least twice a year so it's a wonder that there is anything at all. Despite the condition it is still an officer's button from a very well known Loyalist regiment who fought many key battles in the Revolutionary War. In addition it is the rarer form of the King's American Regiment buttons. Condition aside it's going to be tough to beat this one this year!

Attachments

• KAR 001.jpg
    KAR 001.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 902

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could always beat it with a better one. Where there is one there is often more.... probably about 50% of the time here.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
You could always beat it with a better one. Where there is one there is often more.... probably about 50% of the time here.

Believe me...I've been thinking about that since I found it. I'm going to focus on the other side of the field which I've only swept through once with nothing to show. It's up high so would not be affected by the flooding creek. Any button found here would have to be in better condition.

Weird site...we've found buttons from Rev. War, War of 1812 and Victorian era...

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those type of sites are hard to come by...I had one with French, Rev War, 1812' and Victorian...but I guess easy to settle on lands already cleared... Get out and show us another one :headbang:

romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:

Believe me...I've been thinking about that since I found it. I'm going to focus on the other side of the field which I've only swept through once with nothing to show. It's up high so would not be affected by the flooding creek. Any button found here would have to be in better condition.

Weird site...we've found buttons from Rev. War, War of 1812 and Victorian era...

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That button is a killer find!! Is it pewter, brass or something else?

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Romeo... You dig some great stuff, congrats to you on digging something on your want to find list.

HB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread