1858 $2 1/2 gold coin on 14 kt chain!!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Holy smokes, I can barely breathe right now because I am so excited.

I went up to my father's this weekend in northern Michigan and got home in the early afternoon. After unpacking and chilling out for a bit, it was so beautiful out that I decided to get out for a couple hours before dark. I went to am old horse riding stables that had hay rides in the fall that has been abandoned for 4 or 5 years. I detected there 5 or 6 times last year also. Anyway, I had looked at satelite images of this place and noticed a trail at the back of the property, my wife told me this is where they took the hay riders and had bonfires. So I trudged out there and began searching. I was using my old trusty Garrett TR machine, the jewelry finder. Digging everything, I found a few modern coins , a lot of pull tabs and a few smashed cans.

Here's the good part. I dug a cigarette pack, Merits, another piece of trash, but when I pulled it out of the hole, it ripped and I saw something gold flash. As I pulled it out completely, there was a gold chain inside the cigarette pack. Hoping it was real, I was pumped, I pulled the chain out and there's a pendant on it. It was caked with dirt but I rubbed a bit off and the most beautiful sight, a GOLD COIN. I was still thinking it couldn't all be genuine, so I packed up and headed home.

When I got home, I scanned them as found and then cleaned it up. YES!!! They are both real. The chain says 14kt Italy and the coin although being holed is a $2 1/2 quarter eagle, 1858. I am not sure about if it has a mint mark yet. I am too excited and really wanted to post this while the computer here was free. I share with 4 teenagers and the wife, so I can't always get on. The chain is missing the clasp so maybe it broke and the person stored it in their ciggie pack, and then lost it or maybe forgot and threw it away.

Damn, I feel so good right now, my heart is really pumping still.

Here's some photos.

Golden smiles!
BDoo

Attachments

• As found.jpg
    As found.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 5,899
  • As found1.jpg
    As found1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 5,858
  • Merits.jpg
    Merits.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 5,792
Upvote 1

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Unbelievable find Bobby! It sure paid for you to get out of theose school yard chips and out in the boonies! I am just so happy for you! Excellent ,just excellent!

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ABSOLUTELY AWSOME!

That's some cool stuff right there ladies and gentlemen! Hard to beat that one! ;)

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o That is great...it will soon b on the best finds forum, hopefully, you are doing great.....this has got to be your best find!

HH
-GC

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Congratulations! As was told to me, your now a member of the gold coin club (and gold chain club) for life. Incredible find and one you'll always remember. Way To Go!

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Oh my god Bdoo!!! How could i have possibly missed this post! Congradulations on this amazing find!!! I knew you would get something like this one day with all of the jewelry you find! AMAZING!!! I dont know what else to say, the MD gods are being very kind to you thats for sure! Good luck and HH!

-CC

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hello and Thanks everyone, I will try to get more personal comments back soon, but actually, I am pretty worn out from the long fun weekend, all the driving, and of course the major excitement this afternoon.

I peeled off the gold loop from the coin so I could get it to lay flat on the scanner and get some better close ups.

I think I will eventually take these to a jeweler and get a lobster claw clasp put on the chain and have them weld closed a nicer bigger ring on the coin. Then it will be nice to wear it sometimes without fear of losing it. That would suck wouldn't it...lol.

More smiles!
BDoo

Attachments

• Obverse.jpg
    Obverse.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 5,119
  • Reverse1.jpg
    Reverse1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 5,133
  • Hallmark.jpg
    Hallmark.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 5,103
OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
bookfisher said:
Congratulations! As was told to me, your now a member of the gold coin club (and gold chain club) for life. Incredible find and one you'll always remember. Way To Go!

Thanks Bookfisher.
Actually, this is my second Gold Coin. In the 1980's I found a 1857 $1 coin that was part of a ring. This one is nicer I think even though it has the hole in it.

It's about my tenth gold chain (forth this year) but each one is super exciting. My little machine is a jewelry magnet for sure.

Smiles!
BDoo

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Awesome BDoo!! ;D
I'll never look at a discarded pack of smokes the same again.
You've had some amazing finds this year--
This is the Tops!!
Too bad about the hole- but
I'd take one with several holes!!!- LOL ;D
congrats & HH

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Glad I checked in tonight Bobby....What a find...Wow!
No school...no woodchips....Brother, you must have radar.
Congrats on two great finds in one.....Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread