Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi John

As far as I know fake coins are known from the first coins till today. :icon_thumleft:

I can only say that I see your find as outstanding and very, very rare.

A BANNER FIND, no doubt !!! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

PS: the find would deserve some better pictures, I think.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contemporary counterfeit is generally the term used. Fake is for the modern junk.

You'll get a genuine gold one at some point.

ossi

Nov 3, 2011
Pannonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO INTERNATIONAL (Nel hunter)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, we call this "Billon" as is, or lined, Celtic coin a better picture would be nice., Ossi

Beautiful coin in any case :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Nice find, it looks like a coin of the Corieltauvi , proberbly a North East Coast Type, but the detail is a bit hard to see, if you post a better picture I would be able to tell for sure.

You get quite a lot of these types that were Gold dipped on a copper core, still a geat find.

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:

Contemporary counterfeit
is generally the term used. Fake is for the modern junk.

You'll get a genuine gold one at some point.

True, although there is a fine line & debate about how they were produced & why. They seem to use the same dies (sometimes) that suggest the minter was either short of gold or risking not being caught dropping the gold weight or the dies were stolen. However, it is at the same time as they produced contemporary counterfeits, so how can one tell the difference. It just depends on which expert writes the book. :hello2:

It is an interesting piece of Ancient history :headbang:

Bratvlos

Dec 19, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Déus the Only Wireless Métal Détector - Tecknetics D4000 - Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beautiful well done :icon_thumright:

garryson

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2007
Hungary
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that is nice and interesting. Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would that be more rare then a real one? Pretty awesome if you ask me?? It seems like it would be worth some nice $$.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
birdman said:
Would that be more rare then a real one? Pretty awesome if you ask me?? It seems like it would be worth some nice $$.

I haven't checked the CCI records but its most likely is about 1 in 10 of every 'solid gold' version, so yes rarer. :icon_thumright:

Bratvlos

Dec 19, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Déus the Only Wireless Métal Détector - Tecknetics D4000 - Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes more rare :icon_thumright:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
birdman said:
Hardly anything money wise, more of a interesting find, even the Gold type don't fetch mega bucks, unless one of the rarer type of the tribe.

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
birdman said:
Hardly anything money wise, more of a interesting find, even the Gold type don't fetch mega bucks, unless one of the rarer type of the tribe.

SS

True, rarer but much less value than the real deal. (although more interesting, as discussed)

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
birdman said:

SS

True, rarer but much less value than the real deal. (although more interesting, as discussed)
I don't think these were intended to be passed of as the real thing, more of a cheaper way of spreading the Gold out, to make more coins.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
birdman said:

SS

I don't think these were intended to be passed of as the real thing, more of a cheaper way of spreading the Gold out, to make more coins.

I some what agree, but in a non-monetory society where money was only used as sacrife or political persuasion, why bother. The bigger the sacrifice the better, no-one would wont to cheat the Gods, they may notice.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
birdman said:

SS

I some what agree, but in a non-monetory society where money was only used as sacrife or political persuasion, why bother. The bigger the sacrifice the better, no-one would wont to cheat the Gods, they may notice.
Perhaps in the early Times (Pre Roman) I would agree, but I personally think that the debasement came about after the Roman conquest, when coins became used as a way of perchasing, rather than offerings, it might even have been the Romans that introduced them to debasing, Silver and Gold. After all the Celts copied outher aspects of Roman culture. :coffee2:

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
birdman said:

SS

Perhaps in the early Times (Pre Roman) I would agree, but I personally think that the debasement came about after the Roman conquest, when coins became used as a way of perchasing, rather than offerings, it might even have been the Romans that introduced them to debasing, Silver and Gold. After all the Celts copied outher aspects of Roman culture. :coffee2:

SS

Agreed. Interesting debate. But might be more the other way around. The Roman's used the vast & far more superior Metal Working & jewelry making experience that British main land Celtic Tribes already processed to advance their capabilities. These 'fakes' as you point out would be far more useful in an tax paying/administrative environment like the trading between European countries etc.

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer
I would love to see a better cleaned picture!

Great find, congratulations big time!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread