The CaneField Bandits Knocked it Out of the Park!!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

It has been an amazing 24 hours. Sorry to all for the delayed post, but when you see the quantity and quality of relics dug, you will understand why. Shanegalang and I went out on a hunt yesterday. Got up bright and early and hit the cane fields.

1.jpg

We decided to make a full grid of an area where we had been and dug a few CW bullets and a colonial shoe buckle earlier in the week. We started into the field all fresh and fueled up. As we made it down the first row, we dug a few bullets, mostly round .54 cal's.

2.jpg

Then all of a sudden, from the front of the row, Shane yells "I've got a coin!" When I got there, we realized that he'd just dug his first shield nickel:

3.jpg

I caught myself swinging too fast after that rush, and made my pace slow down, and soon I got a signal in the bottom of the row that blew my ears off. Flipping over the plug of hardpack silt, I saw a gilded flat button back. Turned it over and had a heart attack as an 1812 Era Artillery Button stared me in the face!!

4.jpg

We made it up another row, digging brass bits, camp lead, and a few bullets, and then I saw right on top of a row the back of a little two-piece button. For some reason, I didn't even think for a second what it might be. My first urge was to take a photo:

5.jpg

Turned it over and it was an eagle Artillery cuff button in great condition:

6.jpg

Made our way around the next row and Shane dug a nice early tombac button with a great design on its face. We dug a few flat buttons, a thimble, and Shane got a nice trigger guard piece. Then on to the next row, and this row was a honey of a row for me. I must have dug six bullets, two flat buttons, a minieball, and the bootstrap piece of a spur.

Rounded the next row and scooped up another piece of the spur and dug the other half of Shane's trigger guard, which I gave to him. Here's a photo of one of the bullets I dug:

7.jpg

I dug a nice V nickel (1899), and picked up a thimble and a beautiful, early pocketwatch winder with an anchor on it. :headbang: Shane got a couple of heel plates, a tax token, and another couple bullets and camp lead. We both eyeballed early clay pipes in the stubble. 8) When I got home, I was amazed at the number of targets I had dug, and even more amazed at the quantity of keepers I had:

8.jpg

9.jpg

Then the cleaning marathon was on. From 7pm to close to midnight, I cleaned finds, hoping to make a post last night. Shane had dinner and a beer to ease the pain the field had inflicted on us, and started cleaning finds as well. Late last night I finished, and took photos and went to bed.

Here are the results. First off, some GawGag dug by Shane:

10.JPG

Next, his Luxury Tax Token from the 30s (Alabama). Probably a farmer drop:

11.JPG

12.JPG

More Photos Below!

Upvote 0

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You found an assortment of relics to keep you interested. I always enjoy the pottery shards. Even though 1812 is too new for a petite habitat, eh? :laughing7: ;D

Kirk

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding haul guys! Way to go on the 1812 and Eagle "A" buttons. Yahooooooooooo!!!! :occasion14:
Congrats,
Dug

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
I knew when you called me at 10 am yesterday from the field, you weren't calling me to give me a Louisiana weather report or discuss the NFL Playoffs. I knew you had found something VERY GOOD!! You did-that 1812 button and Eagle"A"are outstanding finds. It was inevitable given what you had told me about the layout and area history that you and Shane would hit it. Believe me, the best is yet to come my friend. Get back out there ASAP. HH, Quindy.

Thank you for the good conversation, the wealth of knowledge, and the inspiration Quindy. Now it's full steam ahead to the re-hunt. :)

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Got ourselves a name, us! Cane Field Bandits!! The single most important thing about this hunt is that you got that Tesoro out! Look at the increase in finds........... ;D Yes, it was another great day of fun and another learning experience for me. I'm waiting for the bill when I check the mail each day.
In all seriousness it's a good thing to be able to hunt with a walking metal detecting encyclopedia/ relic identifier/ restorer. As long as I keep doing the coon ass talking to the locals we will keep building on the permissions and areas. I'm about ready to quit my job :wink: He res a picture of my first clay pipe find. I forgot to include it. Until next post full of finds, Shanegalang

Attachments

• 100_4881.JPG
    100_4881.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,330
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
My PM arent working,but I knew that ground was gonna treat you well,and I think its just the tip of the ice burg bud!Those finds are stupendous and I am envious!! :thumbsup:

kuger,

Great to hear from you. Your e-mail is working, and thank you. :thumbsup: It's really great to be in a new area here and doing well at the hobby.

Cheers,

Buckles

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
shanegalang said:
Got ourselves a name, us! Cane Field Bandits!! The single most important thing about this hunt is that you got that Tesoro out! Look at the increase in finds........... ;D Yes, it was another great day of fun and another learning experience for me. I'm waiting for the bill when I check the mail each day.
In all seriousness it's a good thing to be able to hunt with a walking metal detecting encyclopedia/ relic identifier/ restorer. As long as I keep doing the coon ass talking to the locals we will keep building on the permissions and areas. I'm about ready to quit my job :wink: He res a picture of my first clay pipe find. I forgot to include it. Until next post full of finds, Shanegalang
I wondered what happened to that pipe when it wasn't in BB's initial post. That'a a nice OLD one Shane. I predict a copper or silver coin for one of you the next time you hunt that field. HH, Quindy.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on an excellent hunt :thumbsup: I love those early one piece military buttons. They have so much more character than the later two piece buttons.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shanegalang said:

Yes, the Tesoro runs so stable in iron it's like a dream. Fisher is choice for finding sites, Tesoro for actually hunting them--except CW low iron sites. Then it's 1266 all the way.

You are getting the bill, but it is being paid in finds. ;D I told you the gloves were coming off when I posted from KY while hunting with Hill Billy. Now that you've got a 1700s silver and some CW under your belt, I figure you can handle it if I hunt for real now rather than waving my coil eight inches above the ground waiting for you to dig something good. :laughing7:

Glad I got a Cajun with me. I don't know what some of doz ole men sayin', me! I say "Mo chagrin mes ami, pale dousman!" Den I realize dat I still don't know what dem dar guys are sayin', me. Den dem guys look at me and they say "C'est sa Couillon!"

We gonna rehunt dat, us! :D

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMGoodness what a haul! :thumbsup: You're right, it was a total HOMERUN! I'm looking forward to seeing more out of that field. Congrats, Breezie

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
first of all, great finds and post, enjoyed reading it.

Secondly, I can't imagine how difficult it is to hunt that field. Do you go with the lines, or against them to cover a gully, then hill, then gully, etc?

Lastly, what is this? I have a half of one I found the other week.

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,423

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer
Great finds, keep grossing and you will get loads more!! :hello2:

CongrAts

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys had a fantastic hunt Will! The assorted finds are definitely the prizes of steadfast determination and a plethora of goodies to round out any hunt. The Eagle "A" cuff button

looks great as does the fancy watch key but I believe the inimitable find of the day was that War of 1812 Artillery Button! Congratulations and I imagine it won't be long before you and

Shane will be posting more nice finds from this field. :occasion14:

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Pganjon, I use a Tesoro Cortes. Buckleboy was using a Tesoro Silver U max on this hunt. He also uses a Fisher 1266-X. I quoted him as saying, "Yes, the Tesoro runs so stable in iron it's like a dream. Fisher is choice for finding sites, Tesoro for actually hunting them--except CW low iron sites. Then it's 1266 all the way". Shane

Thunderchild

Sep 24, 2011
N. Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD/ AT Pro / Whites TDI SL / Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! Congrats. I can almost hear Zydeco music playin in the background. Glenn

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, i love hunts like that, such a large variety of pieces of that little puzzle we call the past. :icon_thumright:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great presentation. I love the early artillery button and assortment of bullets.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
killer site, amazing finds! congrats to BOTH of you!

billpa

Sep 12, 2010
Out Diggin Silver
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO,DFX DX-1, CLASSIC 111, Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a lot of diggen,you had a great day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread