The CaneField Bandits Knocked it Out of the Park!!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

It has been an amazing 24 hours. Sorry to all for the delayed post, but when you see the quantity and quality of relics dug, you will understand why. Shanegalang and I went out on a hunt yesterday. Got up bright and early and hit the cane fields.

1.jpg

We decided to make a full grid of an area where we had been and dug a few CW bullets and a colonial shoe buckle earlier in the week. We started into the field all fresh and fueled up. As we made it down the first row, we dug a few bullets, mostly round .54 cal's.

2.jpg

Then all of a sudden, from the front of the row, Shane yells "I've got a coin!" When I got there, we realized that he'd just dug his first shield nickel:

3.jpg

I caught myself swinging too fast after that rush, and made my pace slow down, and soon I got a signal in the bottom of the row that blew my ears off. Flipping over the plug of hardpack silt, I saw a gilded flat button back. Turned it over and had a heart attack as an 1812 Era Artillery Button stared me in the face!!

4.jpg

We made it up another row, digging brass bits, camp lead, and a few bullets, and then I saw right on top of a row the back of a little two-piece button. For some reason, I didn't even think for a second what it might be. My first urge was to take a photo:

5.jpg

Turned it over and it was an eagle Artillery cuff button in great condition:

6.jpg

Made our way around the next row and Shane dug a nice early tombac button with a great design on its face. We dug a few flat buttons, a thimble, and Shane got a nice trigger guard piece. Then on to the next row, and this row was a honey of a row for me. I must have dug six bullets, two flat buttons, a minieball, and the bootstrap piece of a spur.

Rounded the next row and scooped up another piece of the spur and dug the other half of Shane's trigger guard, which I gave to him. Here's a photo of one of the bullets I dug:

7.jpg

I dug a nice V nickel (1899), and picked up a thimble and a beautiful, early pocketwatch winder with an anchor on it. :headbang: Shane got a couple of heel plates, a tax token, and another couple bullets and camp lead. We both eyeballed early clay pipes in the stubble. 8) When I got home, I was amazed at the number of targets I had dug, and even more amazed at the quantity of keepers I had:

8.jpg

9.jpg

Then the cleaning marathon was on. From 7pm to close to midnight, I cleaned finds, hoping to make a post last night. Shane had dinner and a beer to ease the pain the field had inflicted on us, and started cleaning finds as well. Late last night I finished, and took photos and went to bed.

Here are the results. First off, some GawGag dug by Shane:

10.JPG

Next, his Luxury Tax Token from the 30s (Alabama). Probably a farmer drop:

11.JPG

12.JPG

More Photos Below!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next, a close-up of Shane's shield nickel. After close inspection, it appears to be an 1866 "with rays." Regardless of the condition, it is identifiable by type AND by date, and it is a terrific find:

13.JPG

A nice handfull of bullets I dug, including an Enfield, a dropped minie, and part of a lead pencil:

14.jpg

The top of a swagger stick (this photo is for you, RelicDude. :D):

15.jpg

My GawGag, including camp lead, pack rivets, and other mildly desirable items:

16.jpg

Beautiful pottery pieces eyeballed by Shane:

17.JPG

The front and back of the watch winder I dug with the Anchor on it. I have always wanted a watch key (and any normal "two-loop" one would've fit the bill), but I am super thrilled to dig a nice, pictorial early one!

18.jpg

19.jpg

Three of Shane's better buttons. On the upper left, a three-hole underwear button, to the right a gilded flat, and below is actually a Tombac button with a GREAT design on it!

20.JPG

A photo of all of my non-bullet dug finds, after cleaning:

21.jpg

And more of Shane's finds:

22.JPG

And a little keeper that I am very pleased with. It is a thimble that is stamped with the French inscription "Un Seul Me Suffit" which means "Only One Is Enough." Obviously a quality mark, but such a great find, considering the state it was dug in. :thumbsup:

23.jpg

Well, I am still sore and tired, and don't know what else to say, so here is a photo of a cool tree.

24.jpg

Best Wishes,

The CaneField Bandits

U

umrgolf

This is what I suspected would happen :o I imagine there will be plenty more to come :coffee2:

btw, the watch key is an amazing find

john glassman

Apr 16, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice goodies i love that 1812 button!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My PM arent working,but I knew that ground was gonna treat you well,and I think its just the tip of the ice burg bud!Those finds are stupendous and I am envious!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf said:
This is what I suspected would happen :o I imagine there will be plenty more to come :coffee2:

Thanks, friend! Federal period? Or Earlier?

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I knew when you called me at 10 am yesterday from the field, you weren't calling me to give me a Louisiana weather report or discuss the NFL Playoffs. I knew you had found something VERY GOOD!! You did-that 1812 button and Eagle"A"are outstanding finds. It was inevitable given what you had told me about the layout and area history that you and Shane would hit it. Believe me, the best is yet to come my friend. Get back out there ASAP. HH, Quindy.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
That artillery button cleaned up nicely. Great variety of quality finds.
-Evan

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you have some straight lines to follow, gridding made easy :laughing9:

Great bunch of stuff, I too like the watch winder :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
My PM arent working,but I knew that ground was gonna treat you well,and I think its just the tip of the ice burg bud!Those finds are stupendous and I am envious!! :thumbsup:

Thanks kuger! I think I have finally figured out how digging down here works. ;D Got a hell of a good hunting partner, and it's time to reap the rewards.

U

umrgolf

BuckleBoy said:
umrgolf said:

Thanks, friend! Federal period? Or Earlier?

I really havent a clue since Ive never seen one but Id say youre close.. my guess would be pre-CW

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt! I can just imagine your excitement digging that 1812 button!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy Smokes BB.. You all tore it up! What a sack full of quality relics! Thanks for sharing them with those of us who don't seem to get out much anymore. It certainly is an inspiration.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Awesome hunt! I can just imagine your excitement digging that 1812 button!

Absolutely. Not too many of those around in Kentucky where I use to hunt. All that digging up there over a span of four years by severral of us, and only one or two pre-Civil War military buttons ever found.

Thanks for the reply, my friend.

-Buckles

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man what i'd give to have a day like that!! Way to go :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter 5, Ace 250
They are awesome finds :icon_thumleft: You really get out to some cool places. Can I ask what detector you are using? I know thats only part of it, Research is everything.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds in that huge field.....We know where you will be all summer long in 2012!

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
I like the old watch key-----not sure what is a swagger stick?But you almost made it to the 1700s !Good luck on more 1812 buttons ,some can be worth good money :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread