Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steelheadwill's eye for detail helps id "Queen Victoria Jubilee Shilling Fob"

Hi all, Got up 5am on Sunday morning and went for an 80 mile drive over the border to river country.A mate i use to work with ,had resently brought a small farm and has retired. Lucky dude. I still have 20 years of work to go, unless i get rich. That won,t happen. LOL Took a while to get there because the location is off the main highway , had a few stoppages. Live stock crossings, yes the old farmer has all day but i don,t. Seemed like for ever to get a 100 head of cattle off the road. Decided we needed a break so stopped at a small town bakery for some food. Fresh crusty rolls with dashing of butter and strong black coffee. None of that modern bubble milk muck.

Finally got too the farm about 7.30am . stopped for a chat for a while to get directions to an old sports ground and club house. Before the mid- 1950's the site was the local hub of activity, numerous sports were played in the location. Aussie rules football, netball, tennis and others. When cars became more affordable people could travel this was end to these small towns in some ways. As the number of people left the local sports grounds were no longer used. Over time the local farmers salvaged what they could use and the site fell into ruin. Then the native trees took over the oval and tennis court.Not much to see today just a half treed feild.

The area was settled in the late 1860's and relied on river boats and then the railway . All gone now. The day started of slowly .targets and targets. Yep the old evil of the modern pull tab. Crown seal caps off the long neck bottles. I was surprised at the the age of some pottery shards and glass at one end of the site. Shards like willow doulton. Figured i work threw this end of the site. Nothing special just common early 20th century coppers. Then a small silver 3d ok .Queen side up and turned it over . writting. Sweet heart coin with "Susie Aug 1896". Thats only the 3rd one of these i ever found. Next find was a late 19th century fob watch chain .Couldn,t find the end tho.

We stopped for for an hour and sat in the shade. Stuffed down a sandwich and cold drink. I knew the full heat of the day would be apon us in a couple hours so. Jumped back into the hunt. I decided to hunt the area around there the club house was. Hour of rubbish and i was getting to back of the site. I stuck my coil round the back of the an old tree .Gee did it scream .In the grass near by lay this old trophy. Ok nothing special. Till i picked it up.Thought gee this has some weight in it. Didn,t think twice about it. More worried about getting home safely.Cleaned up my 2 other finds and was quite happy with what i had found for the first trip. Today after i got home from work it was too hot to do anything so i thought i would have a look at the old trophy. I knew that it was from the 1950's and was more than lightly be silver plated. Well did i get a shock of my life. First above the front side figure theres a 2 mm grove where the trophy had been dropped at some stage. Cleaned a bit and i could only see more silver. With a bit of effort got half cleaned. Sure enough under the wreath on the bottom is the "Stokes". Stokes and sons are silver smiths and medal makers since 1860.I thought i would put on the scales and see how much the trophy weighed. 97 grams thats well over 3 ozs.

UP DATE After reading steelheadwill's reply to my post i did some checking and posted on another site and with minutes got a reply. The reply said" What you have there is a Queen Victoria Jubilee Silver Shilling Fob" You missing the shilling but that easy replaced The chain on the other hand would be considered scarce. Nice.

There are silver hallmarks on clasp and on the larger silver rings but mosy are barely visable . Well worn.Big thanks Will for your input , i would have never thought about it.

tinpan

Attachments

• 100_1426.jpg
    100_1426.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 1,241
  • 100_1412.jpg
    100_1412.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 1,238
  • 100_1423.jpg
    100_1423.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 1,236
  • 100_1424.jpg
    100_1424.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,304
  • 100_1428.jpg
    100_1428.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 1,341
  • 100_1417.jpg
    100_1417.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,328
  • 100_1418.jpg
    100_1418.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,392
  • 100_1421.jpg
    100_1421.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,584
Upvote 0

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: Forgotten sports ground of a sleeply river town [97 gram silver]

certainly better than the plastics I got for playing mediocre footy ;D , tinpan I feel that way about work too - but I often need to remind myself ....really we are already rich - beaut small population country, a bakery in every town and opportunity :dontknow:
sic hunting mate :whip2:

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Smoogle said:
certainly better than the plastics I got for playing mediocre footy ;D , tinpan I feel that way about work too - but I often need to remind myself ....really we are already rich - beaut small population country, a bakery in every town and opportunity :dontknow:
sic hunting mate :whip2:

Hi Smoogle, i was on your side of river about 10 kms down stream from Cohuna .Borders mean nothing to me. :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

tinpan

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice finds

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi tinpan, always like reading your posts, thanks for sharing and congrats on the big silver find. :thumbsup:

au4me1

Apr 28, 2010

TinPan,
I like the chain most of all! Nice going mate.

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations on the really cool finds Tinpan. I bet that
3 oz. silver trophy really screamed in your ears!! Thanks for
sharing your hunt and the pictures. Gold Nuggets :hello:

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thanks for the replies, never used ear phones i like the external speaker .saves on the head aches of loud junky targets.

tinpan

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:headbang:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Great story and great finds tinpan! :icon_thumright:
That silver trophy is a nice find . . . and it was just lying in the grass too eh! :laughing7:

Amazing finds mate! :notworthy:
Dave

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

that engraved coin is sweet! odd find on the trophy.... if it were me, I'd sell it for scrap silver :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Love that Trophy :o
I'm not sure, is Jewelerguy joking :icon_scratch:
The old chain and pendant are awesome, got one a while back with similar heavy oldstyle hardware,
they don't make them like they used to :wink:
Congrats on some sweet finds! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

steelheadwill said:
Love that Trophy :o
I'm not sure, is Jewelerguy joking :icon_scratch:
The old chain and pendant are awesome, got one a while back with similar heavy oldstyle hardware,
they don't make them like they used to :wink:
Congrats on some sweet finds! :thumbsup:

Thanks Will, you got thinking and i have undated my post. "Nearly forgot" Thanks for all the replies

tinpan

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Steelheadwill's eye for detail helps id "Queen Victoria Jubilee Shilling Fob"

Nice :occasion14:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Steelheadwill's eye for detail helps id "Queen Victoria Jubilee Shilling Fob"

Good research!
That is thefirst "love token' made from a Brit/Australian ??? coin i've seen..
The silver jubilee was in 1862 celebrating her 25 years on the throne It is quite likely that it would have been a 'low key' affair as her husband (and first Cousin) Prince Albert had died just one year previously. No official coins were struck to commemorate this occasion.
This is a topic where you definitely can't believe everything you read,
there are references where the dates
for her golden and diamond jubilees are stated as the silver...
I just read her story in Wiki, quite interesting,
Below is an 1860 painting of Her, Great Finds Tinpan !!
HH to you & thanks for the Good Words!

Attachments

• Queen_Victoria-by_George_Hayter.jpg
    Queen_Victoria-by_George_Hayter.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 387
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

steelheadwill said:
Good research!
The silver jubilee was in 1862 celebrating her 25 years on the throne It is quite likely that it would have been a 'low key' affair as her husband (and first Cousin) Prince Albert had died just one year previously. No official coins were struck to commemorate this occasion.

Sorry about too confuse you The chain fob is made of silver and was for Queen Victoria's 50th jubilee so thats the gold jubilee [1887] English coins was the legal tender in australia from 1788 till 1909 even though Federation was in 1901.

tinpan thanks for a great input will my mistake again lol

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009

I like the trophy! Someone just tossed it I suppose, so great find. Maybe they were sore they didn't get 1st place? I can't make out all the writing. Looks like double vision when I look at the pic. Would you be able to put it out here? And thanks for showing...you always seems to have some great things when you post.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

tinpan said:
steelheadwill said:
Good research!

Sorry about too confuse you The chain fob is made of silver and was for Queen Victoria's 50th jubilee so thats the gold jubilee [1887] English coins was the legal tender in australia from 1788 till 1909 even though Federation was in 1901.

tinpan thanks for a great input will my mistake again lol
LOL! that's funny, you did say 'Jubilee silver' rather than silver Jubilee ,
My bad :D
I enjoyed reading about Queen Victoria, a very interesting Woman!
Love them finds, and your Nuggs, the best I've managed in NH is
a .049 G flake, micro thin, so it actually looks pretty big. HH to you!

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DMN said:
I like the trophy! Someone just tossed it I suppose, so great find. Maybe they were sore they didn't get 1st place? I can't make out all the writing. Looks like double vision when I look at the pic. Would you be able to put it out here? And thanks for showing...you always seems to have some great things when you post.

hi DMN Hope this explains the way the history works. Today 85% of Australia population live on the coast and hinter land. I live on the inland side of the mountains which means i am part of the 15% that lives on the fringe of the great outback. 3 hours from me is just about nothing but large farms and few small towns. Thats was not always the case with gold rush and many years of hard rock mining and settlers farms there was quite a large population on the inland side. Some towns had population of 20,000 today 3000 or less.After WW2 there was a decline in mining and better pay to had in the cities. Due to cheaper imports of some farm produce and other goods meant .The rural population declined as there was no demand for local goods and services.Small farms got brought out to make larger farms and a lot their needs are brought in by more productive transport system.So alot of the sites i hunt are once was . Being not so wasteful society like today much of the building and what ever could reused was sold or taken. People are creatures of habit and burden of load is not always the best thing. So much stuff was just left behind. Costly and time comsuming better just to leave what they didn,t want. My family and my wifes are locals so we know or know other local who have a great memory of local history.Unlike other countries there so much land that often many a site was only built on once. Used and then cleared and empty again. Look at like this Australia 80% the size of the main land of the USA your population 300 million. Ours 22 million. The other difference is we had a drifting population that followed the boom areas in the past. The county i live in has a population of 100,000 but their scattered over 1200 square miles then there not much east west or north of me. Most mders in my location are gold hunters only and give little to relics. With 50 % of major australian historical events with 100 miles of me. i Got the cake to keep and 2 to eat. Yet i am bound by only 200 years of settlement and most poeple were poor.
My finds are more different and thats what makes them interesting.I don,t get wheel barrow loads just put in a lot time and get a few each time.

tinpan

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gee its 2.17 am Sunday morning :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Just one other factor i have not mentioned before. My reseach was once free but over the last 10 years Historicial societies , Cemetery Trust and Government public records now charge. Every document i need costs me $12.50 on average. Only the local library reseach section is free. They do have a vast collection. Just cannot copy or borrow the books in this section so it takes many hours of remembering the facts. I never tell anyone what my reasearch is for.

tinpan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread