Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Eagle "I" Coat Size Infantry Officer's Button & More From CS Camp Last 2 Hunts

I made a solo trip to a CSA Cavalry Camp last Thursday and hunted two hours before the rain moved in. This morning, I made another solo hunt at the same camp and drove through light waves of rain showers on the way there in my truck. There were more waves of rain showers during my 4 hour hunt this morning before the rain became heavier and more frequent. My third signal this morning was the Eagle "I' high convex button with intact shank and no back mark. I consulted with BB and we decided that a little water wouldn't hurt. There seems to be a little gilding left. For those wondering how a U.S. button was dug in a CS Camp, Gen. Morgan's early CSA camps have captured Yankee weapons, bullets, and equipment as Dman, Tenn. Josh, and I have posted many times before.
A total of 6 hours hunting produced my meager recoveries in the 2nd pic and I made a pic of a 3 ringer that I fished out of the dirt pile. Tenn. Josh had to work and Dman had to attend a funeral but I bet they get loose next time-LOL. HH, Quindy.

Attachments

• Eagle I Button    CS Camp 1-16-12.jpg
    Eagle I Button CS Camp 1-16-12.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 915
  • CS Camp  Jan. 12 & 16, 2012.jpg
    CS Camp Jan. 12 & 16, 2012.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 927
  • .58 cal. 3 Ring Bullet 1-16-2012.jpg
    .58 cal. 3 Ring Bullet 1-16-2012.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 915
Upvote 0

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Eagle "I" Coat Size Infantry Officer's Button & More From CS Camp Last 2 Hunts

WTG Quindy. Congrats on your finds. I bet you don't go alone next time, lol.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Eagle "I" Coat Size Infantry Officer's Button & More From CS Camp Last 2 Hunts

Cool cw stuff. Always nice to find some old three ringers and an a lettered eagle button to top it off

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

As always you seem to always find something cool from those pounded sites...A sign of a true seasoned relic hunter. Nice job Q

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:thumbsup:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Seem's like ole' Morgan had some Hot pursuer's :icon_thumright: Nice dig's Quindy !!!

campbluegrass

Aug 21, 2011
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2, Garret Pro PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Great hunt as always Quindy. That's a great looking button. Congrats!

*Greg*

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You are working those old camps mighty hard and still pulling relics. I'm looking forward to you guys getting into an unhunted picket post or period house site and really light it up!

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Apr 14, 2009
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool finds :icon_thumleft:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Woodland Detectors said:
As always you seem to always find something cool from those pounded sites...A sign of a true seasoned relic hunter. Nice job Q

You got that right Mike. Quindy reminds me of the movie my son and I just went to see. As a matter of fact, I think it will be my new nickname for Quindy. "War Horse" - Great movie, and Quindy is a great CW relic hunter, so it's a perfect fit.
If ya all don't mind using this nickname for Quindy I'm sure he will be very grateful. :thumbsup:

Excellent recoveries Q. Congrats on the great looking Eagle "I" button. :hello2: You never let us down, rain or shine.
-Dug-

Dixiedigger

Dec 2, 2009
Southern Middle TN
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher f75

Great hunt Quindy, I hope me and the Hound get to go soon. If I know in advance I will call you.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good stuff!

After looking at the finished results, I think you should try just toothpicking with no water next time, Quindy. I think you'll like the results.

Of course, after toothpicking, you can still use water if you don't like it. If there is any gilding left, that is a problem for the toothpick method though.

Glad you could get out, and it was good to hear from you today.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

P.S.--cleaned close-up of my 1812 Artillery is posted now, finally.

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great saves there Quindy! Nice button.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

treasurehound said:
WTG Quindy. Congrats on your finds. I bet you don't go alone next time, lol.
That's a safe bet Randy as Dman called this afternoon to get the hunt report and Tenn. Josh just called-LOL. I hope you and Guy can hunt next weekend Bud. HH, Quindy.
bearbqd said:
Cool cw stuff. Always nice to find some old three ringers and an a lettered eagle button to top it off
Thanks Bear. These 1862 CS camps are not loaded with buttons of any kind. Thanks for looking, Quindy.
Woodland Detectors said:
Thanks Mike. That's high praise coming from someone nationally regarded as an expert with a Minelab detector. I promise to use the T2 SE that I bought from you soon in that camp again as a comparison to the 75. HH, Q.
kuger said:
Thanks Cody and I appreciated your expertise on BB's post last night too. I can always depend on you and Creskol (Rob). If one of you two don't recognize my finds, I'm in trouble-LOL. HH, Quindy.
civilman1 said:
Seem's like ole' Morgan had some Hot pursuer's :icon_thumright: Nice dig's Quindy !!!
Joe, they were the pusuers as the Confederates were desperate for any supplies and were regularly raiding supply trains and the L & N RR supply trains. It's possible that some of the older CS Soldiers fought in the Mexican War and still had their uniforms or buttons too. HH, Quindy.
campbluegrass said:
Great hunt as always Quindy. That's a great looking button. Congrats!

*Greg*
Thanks Gregg. As hard as that site has been hunted , I was very surpruised. No carved bullet, but a decent find. HH, Q.
Steve in PA said:
You are working those old camps mighty hard and still pulling relics. I'm looking forward to you guys getting into an unhunted picket post or period house site and really light it up!
Steve, that's likely to happen as we are hunting some with Tennessee Digger and he's a top notch researcher and hunter. Thanks for looking and good hunting Steve, Quindy.
sscindercoop said:
Cool finds :icon_thumleft:
No silver as those good digs you and your son had this weekend SSC, but I'll take them. HH, Quindy.
ModernMiner said:
Woodland Detectors said:

You got that right Mike. Quindy reminds me of the movie my son and I just went to see. As a matter of fact, I think it will be my new nickname for Quindy. "War Horse" - Great movie, and Quindy is a great CW relic hunter, so it's a perfect fit.
If ya all don't mind using this nickname for Quindy I'm sure he will be very grateful. :thumbsup:

Excellent recoveries Q. Congrats on the great looking Eagle "I" button. :hello2: You never let us down, rain or shine.
-Dug-
Thanks MM. Weren't you in that movie-at the rear of the horse-LOL. Great find with thre Miss. rifle part this weekend. You need to look that site over VERY carefully and read up on that weapon. HH, Q.
Dixiedigger said:
Great hunt Quindy, I hope me and the Hound get to go soon. If I know in advance I will call you.
That will be great Andy if that spot dries a little. We'll dig relics while Dman and the Relic Hound talk about coins-LOL. By the way, Nporth South Trader magazine says they will run the article on our hunt with the Hound this year. HH, Quindy.
BuckleBoy said:
Good stuff!

After looking at the finished results, I think you should try just toothpicking with no water next time, Quindy. I think you'll like the results.

Of course, after toothpicking, you can still use water if you don't like it. If there is any gilding left, that is a problem for the toothpick method though.

Glad you could get out, and it was good to hear from you today.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

P.S.--cleaned close-up of my 1812 Artillery is posted now, finally.
BB, when I didn't get a cell call while I was hunting today, I knew you and Shane had to cancel your hunt. I appreciate your expertise on the button and can't wait to see what comes from the CanBandits hunt this weekend. I'm going to check out that button now because I don't recall an 1812 with ANY gilt. HH, Q.
Getty said:
Great saves there Quindy! Nice button.
Thanks Roger and I hope you can get a weather window to dig some more good relics there. HH, Quindy.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II

Very nice finds Quindy, always impressed by your digs.

:icon_thumleft:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

VOL1266-X said:
A total of 6 hours hunting produced my meager recoveries in the 2nd pic
Quindy.
Ummmm...you obviously don't know what the word 'meager' means. :D .........
This is meager...my finds from rambling around in the woods today.
100_3521.JPG

You did good! Love the button!!! :icon_thumright:

Nana :wink:

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice button and relics, we have dug alot of federal eagle buttons in a CS camps around here. It drives us crazy to see a button in the dirt pile, only to flip it over and it be a US eagle button in the middle of a CS camp. In some camps there were no buttons at all, they must have had wood or glass buttons, I have found some of both over the years in plowed fields after a good rain. HH !!!!!! Let me explain the wooden button I found in the plowed field four hole type, it was in a clump of folded up thin brass that had been plowed up out of a hut site, sorry I wasn't saying wood would last in the ground for 150 years.

Ken in Georgia

Jan 2, 2012
Snellville, Georgia
Detector(s) used
G2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Cool Find, it goes to proof that a lot of the Confederates used the union buttons to stay away from the dreaded wooden buttons.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cool finds, glad to hear a Little rain don't stop a good relic hunter :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread