Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 72 of 72
  1. #61
    us
    Jul 2008
    SW Michigan
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
    879
    22 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: 1600s Portugese Hammered Silver 400 Reis

    Quote Originally Posted by steelheadwill
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallhangers
    Congrats Herbie on another well-deserved find. I have been vacant from the site for quite a while due to work but hope to be at it again in a few months. Spending time in research that should pay off this Spring. Not sure if we are heading that way this Summer again but sure would like to. That coin should be up on the Banner!
    Your welcome to explore this new site if you make it up again!
    Thanks again for your generosity! Is this new site anywhere near where you and I dug before? Too bad you can't get some dredging over at that shipyard That was a great site, I couldn't help picturing what it was like back then. Sounds like you're on another hotspot and can't wait to see what else you pull out of there.

  2. # ADS
    Ads

    TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

  3. #62
    Charter Member

    Mar 2003
    So. Cal.
    1,283
    53 times

    Re: 1600s Portugese Hammered Silver 400 Reis

    These guys will help u ID this coin.

    http://www.coincommunity.com/

  4. #63
    us
    Jan 2010
    New Hampshire
    Whatever Beeps
    6,347
    302 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (6)

    Re: 1600s Portugese Hammered Silver 400 Reis

    Quote Originally Posted by Wallhangers
    Quote Originally Posted by steelheadwill
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallhangers
    Congrats Herbie on another well-deserved find. I have been vacant from the site for quite a while due to work but hope to be at it again in a few months. Spending time in research that should pay off this Spring. Not sure if we are heading that way this Summer again but sure would like to. That coin should be up on the Banner!
    Your welcome to explore this new site if you make it up again!
    Thanks again for your generosity! Is this new site anywhere near where you and I dug before? Too bad you can't get some dredging over at that shipyard That was a great site, I couldn't help picturing what it was like back then. Sounds like you're on another hotspot and can't wait to see what else you pull out of there.
    Picturing 'What it was like' is very helpful,
    We searched within 2 miles of this site as the crow flies, but that area probably has 20 miles of inlets, coves, creeks and shoreline, lots of area to explore...
    The 'Johann' on the coin refers to King John IV, 1640-1656.
    By the year 1664 the Cruzado had the date placed one number between each arm of the cross.
    I think this is my favorite coin find yet
    HH Everyone!
    Desire is oft more pleasant than acquisition
    www.pinetreeshillings.com

  5. #64

    Re: 1600s Portugese Hammered Silver 400 Reis

    Quote Originally Posted by steelheadwill
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallhangers
    Quote Originally Posted by steelheadwill
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallhangers
    Congrats Herbie on another well-deserved find. I have been vacant from the site for quite a while due to work but hope to be at it again in a few months. Spending time in research that should pay off this Spring. Not sure if we are heading that way this Summer again but sure would like to. That coin should be up on the Banner!
    Your welcome to explore this new site if you make it up again!
    Thanks again for your generosity! Is this new site anywhere near where you and I dug before? Too bad you can't get some dredging over at that shipyard That was a great site, I couldn't help picturing what it was like back then. Sounds like you're on another hotspot and can't wait to see what else you pull out of there.
    Picturing 'What it was like' is very helpful,
    We searched within 2 miles of this site as the crow flies, but that area probably has 20 miles of inlets, coves, creeks and shoreline, lots of area to explore...
    The 'Johann' on the coin refers to King John IV, 1640-1656.
    By the year 1664 the Cruzado had the date placed one number between each arm of the cross.
    I think this is my favorite coin find yet
    HH Everyone!


    It impresses me because I've found 9 or so cobs and all very small. Even a 2 reales would be a surprise here, but one that size would be insane for what I'm used to. If it was from sand they dredged then it's obviously from a wreck. You should research the area to see if there's any records of shipwrecks about that time. How cool would it be to match up the coin to the wreck.

  6. #65
    us
    Jan 2010
    New Hampshire
    Whatever Beeps
    6,347
    302 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (6)

    Re: 16th C French Hammered Silver ?

    Quote Originally Posted by CMDiamonddawg
    Hi Herbie , Fascinating .. I like to call em' , Early Explorer finds ! like that hammered Bill D. in Va just found. There have been at least two or more early 18 th century , milled Portugese gold coin finds on the Cape May beach this past Fall . . Dredging has spit them out onto the beach , a few were still in the pipe . The Earliest explorer coin that would be relative to this area of Jersey would be Dutch , Henry Hudson 's Half Moon , in 1610 . Been on recent hunts of old whaling areas ... No luck . I like to find anything that possibly has a connection to the first explorations and I hope your coin has that early settlement history connection and rare as well 8) dawg
    Hi dawg
    The first recorded settlement around here was founded in 1623,
    about 60 settlers were sent from England, by a private company to start a plantation,
    farming, fishing and trade were the goals.
    Though the site of the plantation is known, there is no sign, monument, or anything else to commemorate it.
    A nearby spring still trickles out of a ledge down to the sea, likely a major reason the site was chosen.
    It is located on private property, and record shows this area has been held by the same Family since 1660.
    It has been said that codfish were so abundant, catching them was as easy as lowering a basket in the water, servants were to be fed lobster no more than once a week, and were often used as fertilizer.
    Some of the old farmland I hunt has soil so dark and rich, I wish I had it in my yard.
    I am sure it was not an easy start, but with the abundance of resources, the group apparently did well enough to spread and prosper.
    As far as the trade part, I've dug British, Spanish, and now Portugese coins dating from the 17th Century, so the settlers were successful there also.
    Love the history
    Best digs to you !!

    Desire is oft more pleasant than acquisition
    www.pinetreeshillings.com

  7. #66
    us
    Jan 2010
    New Hampshire
    Whatever Beeps
    6,347
    302 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (6)

    Re: 1600s Portugese Hammered Silver 400 Reis

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch
    Quote Originally Posted by steelheadwill
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallhangers
    Quote Originally Posted by steelheadwill
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallhangers
    Congrats Herbie on another well-deserved find. I have been vacant from the site for quite a while due to work but hope to be at it again in a few months. Spending time in research that should pay off this Spring. Not sure if we are heading that way this Summer again but sure would like to. That coin should be up on the Banner!
    Your welcome to explore this new site if you make it up again!
    Thanks again for your generosity! Is this new site anywhere near where you and I dug before? Too bad you can't get some dredging over at that shipyard That was a great site, I couldn't help picturing what it was like back then. Sounds like you're on another hotspot and can't wait to see what else you pull out of there.
    Picturing 'What it was like' is very helpful,
    We searched within 2 miles of this site as the crow flies, but that area probably has 20 miles of inlets, coves, creeks and shoreline, lots of area to explore...
    The 'Johann' on the coin refers to King John IV, 1640-1656.
    By the year 1664 the Cruzado had the date placed one number between each arm of the cross.
    I think this is my favorite coin find yet
    HH Everyone!


    It impresses me because I've found 9 or so cobs and all very small. Even a 2 reales would be a surprise here, but one that size would be insane for what I'm used to. If it was from sand they dredged then it's obviously from a wreck. You should research the area to see if there's any records of shipwrecks about that time. How cool would it be to match up the coin to the wreck.
    IP, I can't say for sure if it's from the dredgings, there's nearby sandpiles from the channel dredge, this was found in between two rocks just under the surface alongside the ruins of a stone landing.
    rumors of a wreck a bit up the channel have been told, I've seen a 17th C buckle and a nice onion bottle a local diver recovered from the area.
    will get back in touch and see if he'll give me any info on this 'wreck'.
    happy hunting!
    Desire is oft more pleasant than acquisition
    www.pinetreeshillings.com

  8. #67

    Re: 1600s Portugese Hammered Silver 400 Reis

    Quote Originally Posted by steelheadwill
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch
    Quote Originally Posted by steelheadwill
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallhangers
    Quote Originally Posted by steelheadwill
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallhangers
    Congrats Herbie on another well-deserved find. I have been vacant from the site for quite a while due to work but hope to be at it again in a few months. Spending time in research that should pay off this Spring. Not sure if we are heading that way this Summer again but sure would like to. That coin should be up on the Banner!
    Your welcome to explore this new site if you make it up again!
    Thanks again for your generosity! Is this new site anywhere near where you and I dug before? Too bad you can't get some dredging over at that shipyard That was a great site, I couldn't help picturing what it was like back then. Sounds like you're on another hotspot and can't wait to see what else you pull out of there.
    Picturing 'What it was like' is very helpful,
    We searched within 2 miles of this site as the crow flies, but that area probably has 20 miles of inlets, coves, creeks and shoreline, lots of area to explore...
    The 'Johann' on the coin refers to King John IV, 1640-1656.
    By the year 1664 the Cruzado had the date placed one number between each arm of the cross.
    I think this is my favorite coin find yet
    HH Everyone!


    It impresses me because I've found 9 or so cobs and all very small. Even a 2 reales would be a surprise here, but one that size would be insane for what I'm used to. If it was from sand they dredged then it's obviously from a wreck. You should research the area to see if there's any records of shipwrecks about that time. How cool would it be to match up the coin to the wreck.
    IP, I can't say for sure if it's from the dredgings, there's nearby sandpiles from the channel dredge, this was found in between two rocks just under the surface alongside the ruins of a stone landing.
    rumors of a wreck a bit up the channel have been told, I've seen a 17th C buckle and a nice onion bottle a local diver recovered from the area.
    will get back in touch and see if he'll give me any info on this 'wreck'.
    happy hunting!

    I think I'd be hitting that place hard!

  9. #68

    Re: 1600s Portugese Hammered Silver 'Cruzado'

    Thanks for the inspiration Herbie...I'm hitting the low tide tomorrow for the first time this year...no silver for me yet but there's certainly a chance.
    If the elevator tries to bring you down, go crazy, punch a higher floor!

  10. #69
    us
    Jan 2010
    New Hampshire
    Whatever Beeps
    6,347
    302 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (6)

    Re: 1600s Portugese Hammered Silver 'Cruzado'

    Last year i gave this site a going over.
    I got my first spanish silvers here (two toasted milled half reals)
    To me the site had obvious potential, but after pulling lots of
    19th century finds, and when even those began petering out,
    I left it alone for a while.
    My skills have improved with time, I've learned to go sloooow,
    hunt in TTF and dig every iffy signal, and deep nulls.
    I'll be back there again, this find stoked the fires
    Thanks again for all the feedback, I'll keep diggin
    Desire is oft more pleasant than acquisition
    www.pinetreeshillings.com

  11. #70
    us
    Jan 2010
    New Hampshire
    Whatever Beeps
    6,347
    302 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (6)

    Re: 1600s Portugese Hammered Silver 'Cruzado'

    Quote Originally Posted by romeo-1
    Thanks for the inspiration Herbie...I'm hitting the low tide tomorrow for the first time this year...no silver for me yet but there's certainly a chance.
    Hi Romeo,
    I remember the last two winters, I'd dig the mud if it was over 20 degrees,
    seems like that feels colder than it used to
    I heard there's some 30+ days comin!
    there's still plenty of undug silver out there, just gotta keep swingin,
    Best digs to you!
    Desire is oft more pleasant than acquisition
    www.pinetreeshillings.com

  12. #71
    us
    Cellar Dweller

    Dec 2010
    Rhode Island
    T2 SPECIAL EDITION
    2,220
    511 times
    History Hunter
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: 1600s Portugese Hammered Silver 'Cruzado'

    Sweet find


    Good to see you out there in it man




    Blaze
    History hunting,once you get hooked to this lifestyle,that lure of treasure......Its an adrenaline rush just talking about it..

  13. #72
    us
    Jan 2010
    New Hampshire
    Whatever Beeps
    6,347
    302 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (6)

    Re: 1600s Portugese Hammered Silver 'Cruzado'

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyblaze
    Sweet find


    Good to see you out there in it man




    Blaze
    Thanks Johnny,
    I'm in it and IT is COLD!!!!! HH
    Desire is oft more pleasant than acquisition
    www.pinetreeshillings.com

 

 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

1600s coins

,
1600s coins gold coins
,
16th century portuguese cruzado
,
coin 1600s
,

coin from early 1600s france

,

gold coins 1600s

,
hammered coins of portugal
,
portugese gold coins of the 1700's
,
portuguese settlements in virgina 1600s
,

west cape may 1600s

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3