New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
1600s Portugese Hammered Silver 'Cruzado'

Hi all,
Dug a few ships spikes, old buttons, hardware, functional reel, and a coin.
can't find a positive ID,
this one is about 38mm and 18 grams,
Crown over shield, splayed end cross.

Thanks to Iron Patch, SilverSearcher, and everyone else who contributed :notworthy:
we now know it's an undated 400 Reis Cruzado from the
reign King John IV of Portugal 1640-1656.
Thanks for looking and happy hunting All! ;D

Attachments

• NH FINDS 01-17 002 copy.jpg
    NH FINDS 01-17 002 copy.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,571
  • NH FINDS 01-17 003 copy.jpg
    NH FINDS 01-17 003 copy.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,658
  • NH FINDS 01-17 010 copy.jpg
    NH FINDS 01-17 010 copy.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,764
  • NH FINDS 01-17 016 copy.jpg
    NH FINDS 01-17 016 copy.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,795
Upvote 0

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1600s Portugese Hammered Silver 400 Reis

steelheadwill said:
Wallhangers said:
Congrats Herbie on another well-deserved find. I have been vacant from the site for quite a while due to work but hope to be at it again in a few months. Spending time in research that should pay off this Spring. Not sure if we are heading that way this Summer again but sure would like to. That coin should be up on the Banner!
Your welcome to explore this new site if you make it up again!
Thanks again for your generosity! Is this new site anywhere near where you and I dug before? Too bad you can't get some dredging over at that shipyard :icon_thumleft: That was a great site, I couldn't help picturing what it was like back then. Sounds like you're on another hotspot and can't wait to see what else you pull out of there.

OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Wallhangers said:
steelheadwill said:
Wallhangers said:
Congrats Herbie on another well-deserved find. I have been vacant from the site for quite a while due to work but hope to be at it again in a few months. Spending time in research that should pay off this Spring. Not sure if we are heading that way this Summer again but sure would like to. That coin should be up on the Banner!
Thanks again for your generosity! Is this new site anywhere near where you and I dug before? Too bad you can't get some dredging over at that shipyard :icon_thumleft: That was a great site, I couldn't help picturing what it was like back then. Sounds like you're on another hotspot and can't wait to see what else you pull out of there.
Picturing 'What it was like' is very helpful,
We searched within 2 miles of this site as the crow flies, but that area probably has 20 miles of inlets, coves, creeks and shoreline, lots of area to explore...
The 'Johann' on the coin refers to King John IV, 1640-1656.
By the year 1664 the Cruzado had the date placed one number between each arm of the cross.
I think this is my favorite coin find yet :wink:
HH Everyone! :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

steelheadwill said:
Wallhangers said:
steelheadwill said:
Wallhangers said:
We searched within 2 miles of this site as the crow flies, but that area probably has 20 miles of inlets, coves, creeks and shoreline, lots of area to explore...
By the year 1664 the Cruzado had the date placed one number between each arm of the cross.

It impresses me because I've found 9 or so cobs and all very small. Even a 2 reales would be a surprise here, but one that size would be insane for what I'm used to. If it was from sand they dredged then it's obviously from a wreck. You should research the area to see if there's any records of shipwrecks about that time. How cool would it be to match up the coin to the wreck.

OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: 16th C French Hammered Silver ?

CMDiamonddawg said:
Hi Herbie , Fascinating .. I like to call em' , Early Explorer finds ! :o like that hammered Bill D. in Va just found. There have been at least two or more early 18 th century , milled Portugese gold coin finds on the Cape May beach this past Fall . . Dredging has spit them out onto the beach , a few were still in the pipe . The Earliest explorer coin that would be relative to this area of Jersey would be Dutch , Henry Hudson 's Half Moon , in 1610 . Been on recent hunts of old whaling areas ... No luck . I like to find anything that possibly has a connection to the first explorations and I hope your coin has that early settlement history connection and rare as well 8) dawg
Hi dawg :hello:
The first recorded settlement around here was founded in 1623,
about 60 settlers were sent from England, by a private company to start a plantation,
farming, fishing and trade were the goals.
Though the site of the plantation is known, there is no sign, monument, or anything else to commemorate it.
A nearby spring still trickles out of a ledge down to the sea, likely a major reason the site was chosen.
It is located on private property, and record shows this area has been held by the same Family since 1660.
It has been said that codfish were so abundant, catching them was as easy as lowering a basket in the water, servants were to be fed lobster no more than once a week, and were often used as fertilizer.
Some of the old farmland I hunt has soil so dark and rich, I wish I had it in my yard.
I am sure it was not an easy start, but with the abundance of resources, the group apparently did well enough to spread and prosper.
As far as the trade part, I've dug British, Spanish, and now Portugese coins dating from the 17th Century, so the settlers were successful there also.
Love the history :D
Best digs to you !!

OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Iron Patch said:
steelheadwill said:
Wallhangers said:
steelheadwill said:
Wallhangers said:

It impresses me because I've found 9 or so cobs and all very small. Even a 2 reales would be a surprise here, but one that size would be insane for what I'm used to. If it was from sand they dredged then it's obviously from a wreck. You should research the area to see if there's any records of shipwrecks about that time. How cool would it be to match up the coin to the wreck.
IP, I can't say for sure if it's from the dredgings, there's nearby sandpiles from the channel dredge, this was found in between two rocks just under the surface alongside the ruins of a stone landing.
rumors of a wreck a bit up the channel have been told, I've seen a 17th C buckle and a nice onion bottle a local diver recovered from the area.
will get back in touch and see if he'll give me any info on this 'wreck'.
happy hunting!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

steelheadwill said:
Iron Patch said:
steelheadwill said:
Wallhangers said:
steelheadwill said:
Wallhangers said:

IP, I can't say for sure if it's from the dredgings, there's nearby sandpiles from the channel dredge, this was found in between two rocks just under the surface alongside the ruins of a stone landing.
rumors of a wreck a bit up the channel have been told, I've seen a 17th C buckle and a nice onion bottle a local diver recovered from the area.
will get back in touch and see if he'll give me any info on this 'wreck'.
happy hunting!

I think I'd be hitting that place hard!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1600s Portugese Hammered Silver 'Cruzado'

Thanks for the inspiration Herbie...I'm hitting the low tide tomorrow for the first time this year...no silver for me yet but there's certainly a chance.

OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Last year i gave this site a going over.
I got my first spanish silvers here (two toasted milled half reals)
To me the site had obvious potential, but after pulling lots of
19th century finds, and when even those began petering out,
I left it alone for a while.
My skills have improved with time, I've learned to go sloooow,
hunt in TTF and dig every iffy signal, and deep nulls.
I'll be back there again, this find stoked the fires :wink:
Thanks again for all the feedback, I'll keep diggin ;D

OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

romeo-1 said:
Thanks for the inspiration Herbie...I'm hitting the low tide tomorrow for the first time this year...no silver for me yet but there's certainly a chance.
Hi Romeo,
I remember the last two winters, I'd dig the mud if it was over 20 degrees,
seems like that feels colder than it used to :o
I heard there's some 30+ days comin!
there's still plenty of undug silver out there, just gotta keep swingin,
Best digs to you! :thumbsup:

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used