Sweet CW relics from "hunted out" encampment 1st buckle!

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet CW relics from "hunted out" encampment 1st buckle!

Well this year is certainly starting off very nicely for me and my etrac. I"ve been out every chance I can get while the weather holds out and the past couple of days I've been using my 10X12 sef coil to try and find some goodies at a "hunted out" Union encampment site. Some of the finds pictured are from another site and were found with my 6x8 coil. The 10x12 has been reaching down to an awesome 10 to 12 inches on some nice bullets and today.....my first big brass Civil War belt buckle :blob7:. It still has a lot of silver plating on it but the tongue is toast. I nearly peed my pants when I saw that big square chunk of metal with the rusted iron tongue down the middle (obviously this was why it hadn't been found). I know that buckle has been swung over by various detectors probably hundreds of times. Personally I've been over that spot at least a half dozen times with my procoil, but then it was way deep. I almost gave up on it as a false signal after I dug to about 12 inches but it was right below that. Fortunately I had my camera along for pictures of it and a big three ringer I found in situ. Both the bullet and buckle, 3 pistol bullets I found the day before (and a fired bullet which may have been a williams cleaner, not sure), were all at least 10 inches and deeper. And I thought I'd even found a good coin when I dug one up at 10 inches but it turned out to be a danged '44 wheatie :angry5: (don't know how that got down there!!). Also pictured is a sweet little (but flimsy) picture frame that one of the soldiers probably had a picture of his sweetie in, a few other odds and ends, and a very old Boy Scout button that I'm trying to find more info on. Never seen one like it with an indian chief, anyone here seen it before?
Love my etrac!!

Attachments

• 1-2012finds3.jpg
    1-2012finds3.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 820
  • 1-2012finds9.jpg
    1-2012finds9.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,118
  • 1-2012finds8.jpg
    1-2012finds8.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,127
  • 1-2012finds10.jpg
    1-2012finds10.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,085
  • 1-2012finds11.jpg
    1-2012finds11.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,084
  • 1-2012finds1.jpg
    1-2012finds1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 900
  • 1-2012finds.jpg
    1-2012finds.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 812
  • 1-2012finds6.jpg
    1-2012finds6.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 820
Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Sweet CW relics from "hunted out" encampment 1st buckle!

Way to go on your first CW buckle. :hello2: That picture frame in an awesome find too. :thumbsup:
Congrats,
MM

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice finds! Like the tear drops and what looks like a savage bullet. HH

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Congrats on some great finds. I love my SEF coil as well. Your boy scout button appears to be an overall button or jeans type button. I have been a scout leader for 30 years and collecting scouting stuff as well and I am pretty sure it is not with the Boy Scouts. But I have been known to be wrong, lol.

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice lead and finds!

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice digs. Even the most hunted of places is never hunted out. I'm not 100% but I would bet that buckle would have been Confederate. There are a bunch of books that show this as well. Again nice buckle.
ynp

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Why do you think CW Belt Buckle? If found in the UK it would be in the horse harness buckle catergory. Doesn't mean it isn't CW period horse buckle, but I don't think its uniform related.

OP
OP
silversweeper

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Okay...you got me. I'm not 110% sure that this is a uniform BELT buckle. However, I used to own and ride horses and this buckle was made for a belt/strap that is quite a bit narrower than any I've ever seen used on a saddle/horse harness. The opening is only 1 1/2 inches wide and most buckles I've seen on tack are made for straps at least 2 inches wide. I could definitely be mistaken though. I am actually only sure about a few things on this buckle......it's definitely Civil War as it came from the encampment site I and others have hunted for a while now. Very little else is found there other than CW relics, and nothing else at the depth this came from. And it's a silver plated brass buckle of a size I've often seen used on "people belts". I doubt that it was Army issue but I don't know. And I doubt that it was Confederate, that would make it one of two Confederate pieces (that I know of) found on this site out of several thousand and the other was a sword hanger found in a far corner of the encampment. Any way it's one of my best CW finds and the closest I've come to a coveted US, or CS, belt buckle.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I agree, with your perception.....still a great find and a good day.

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silversweeper- Your probably right about it not being CS. But I very much believe this to be a non issued uniform item probably worn by some poor farm boy. Although it may be civilian of origin it is no doubt war related and super cool.

OP
OP
silversweeper

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My gut feeling is that this was worn by a soldier while in uniform (....ahem...or maybe a horse in uniform...who knows). With where it was found there's not much other explanation for it. As to why he wasn't wearing an official US buckle....could have been a lot of different scenarios to explain that, including lack of funds. I'm telling myself that he discarded this one when he recieved his official uniform buckle....but who knows, I'm an artist with an active imagination...lol. I'm pretty certain it was a Union soldier (or horse :laughing7:) though who wore it. This was a large Union encampment in a heavily stationed town, little chance it was Confederate worn. I'm still daydreaming about finding a CS encampment....those are hard to find around here, whereas this site is only a few minutes from my house.

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds. Keep on working that place.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

silversweeper said:
Okay...you got me. I'm not 110% sure that this is a uniform BELT buckle. However, I used to own and ride horses and this buckle was made for a belt/strap that is quite a bit narrower than any I've ever seen used on a saddle/horse harness. The opening is only 1 1/2 inches wide and most buckles I've seen on tack are made for straps at least 2 inches wide. I could definitely be mistaken though. I am actually only sure about a few things on this buckle......it's definitely Civil War as it came from the encampment site I and others have hunted for a while now. Very little else is found there other than CW relics, and nothing else at the depth this came from. And it's a silver plated brass buckle of a size I've often seen used on "people belts". I doubt that it was Army issue but I don't know. And I doubt that it was Confederate, that would make it one of two Confederate pieces (that I know of) found on this site out of several thousand and the other was a sword hanger found in a far corner of the encampment. Any way it's one of my best CW finds and the closest I've come to a coveted US, or CS, belt buckle.
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showcat.php?cat=all&page=3&si=harness buckle&perpage=40&sort=2
Its within the perfect size range of a harness buckle, 37mm & a bit smaller is the smallest & the largest for the heavy horse is huge. So size is not a good indication.
The off-set bar that holds the pin would have clinched it for a horse but yours seems to have an opposite off-set, which is unusual but still makes sense for a horse. The iron/steel pin & brass frame is the most common combination for a horse harness buckle (& I have had loads of silver plated versions) & although the date range is correct for CW, it could be either side of this date & unless in a sealed context (Dateable Archaeological layer) there would be no way to be sure.

I'm waiting for one of the CW buckle experts to chime in, but they have yet to comment :icon_scratch: I maybe way off, so awaiting their input...

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

im thinking more or less bridle related. ive found quite a few of that exact style buckles in many different fields. all different sizes, i just throw them in a box and bulk a few out on ebay once in a while.
but as you can see, my guess is thier pretty common.
Pro-

Attachments

• 100_1906.JPG
    100_1906.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 331
  • 100_1906.JPG
    100_1906.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 323

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread