Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Met up with Shanegalang this morning to go on a date with a great cane field. ;D On the way, we made a quick detour, dropped Bernard Bonnier off and got hunting. We did pretty well today. No military buttons this time, but we did make some nice finds. Took a break midday and ate a bowl of gumbo at a good restaurant. Knew it would be good when the waitress asked if we wanted some File for it. :wink:

Got back at it and got a phone call from the man who leases another 8,000 acres with a Green Light. :hello2:

Here's a little video to get you in the mood. 8)

So...back to the hunt... Here are a couple of the shots from the field. First off, a dropped three-ringer:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Next, a V nickel I dug (1892):

3.jpg

This is the fourth nickel from that area. In fact, except for Shane's Half Real, every coin has been a nickel (Silver Jefferson, two V nickels, and a Shield). Seems like folks only carried nickels in their pockets. :D

It has been yet another long evening cleaning finds. Once again, the number of targets in my pouch were pretty incredible to me at the end of the day:

4.jpg

First off, here's the GawGag. Camp lead and pack studs, mainly.

5.jpg

Two more recent items we found while briefly exploring a new spot on the new land. A Louisiana Tax
Token from the 30s and a Catholic Medallion.

6.jpg

Great pottery and a clay marble eyeballed in the field:

7.jpg

CW bullets, heel plates, etc. The small piece of carved lead is an interesting shape. Please me know if you have any ideas about that one. The .54 cal round ball in the center has a terrific sprue on it. Big mold, Big splash. :thumbsup: The lead piece at the left gave me a heart attack. I saw a white disc, and thought Two Reales or Silver Quarter. No design at all. Early cast brass nail. (Shipbuilding?) Good stuff.

8.jpg

And the buttons, coin, etc. After 20 years with no watch winder, I was lucky enough to get my second watch key in two hunts. The little cuff button at the top is a real beauty, and the photo doesn't do it justice. The red colored disc with the design in the center bottom of the photo is interesting. No clue on the ID. It appears to have a small paste jewel in the center, and the rim of it is heavily gold gilded. Single wire attachment on the back...but it could be a busted and stretched out shank, so maybe a button too. :)

9.jpg

And a few more whatzits. Note the diamond in the center. :P

10.jpg

Best Wishes and Happy Beep Beep,

Buckles

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keep hunting those Colonial fields in LA. ;D The pottery is a great sign for early finds in the area. Soon you will be digging old Gaw Gag and then you will be in the zone. :laughing7:

Kirk

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post and great finds. That red button is interesting, I hope you get an ID on it.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice finds,
that paticular heel plate is pretty hard to find. with all those big tracts of land, your going to need alot of gumbo to keep your energy up.

Bill

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So much land, so little time BB!! More nice finds including a nickel a trip seems like. The carved (shaped) piece of lead looks like a phoenix, thunderbird , or an eagle before it was discarded or broken. Just a guess. Get back out there!! HH, Quindy.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ovalish thing in the middle of the last picture reminds me of an old rifle inlay

HH
-GC

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB,
You guys have been knocking it dead out there. :hello2: Some fantastic relics. I have a heel plate like the star one you have there.
Congrats on those relics that seem to have a personal touch added to them. :thumbsup:
I love your new avatar. Hilarious! :laughing9:
I gotta ask.........what is "File" for your gumbo mean? I hope she didn't mean "flies". :tongue3: :o
Great post,
Doug

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul of field finds , your shards are a match to the ones up here :icon_scratch: those styles were popular :thumbsup: watch key is a nice one 8)

deltamann

Sep 30, 2010
Northern New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F-75 LTD, Blisstool V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had a heck of a hunt BB.

Is that long piece of lead possibly a confederate "Whitworth" bullet? I can't tell from the angle of view of your pic.

Dman

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
First off someone asked what "file" is. It is file' (fee lay), actually ground sassafras root. A good bowl of gumbo is just not the same with out it, it has a slight taste but basically thickens the gumbo up a bit. Here's a couple of pictures of some of my finds. I love the big square cut brass nail and oil lantern top. it still had the little gear in it. The thimble was in pretty good shape. The piece of china has a good mark on it, maybe someone can identify the age. Cheers, Shane

Attachments

• 100_4887.JPG
    100_4887.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,047
  • 100_4886.JPG
    100_4886.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,046
  • 100_4885.JPG
    100_4885.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 958
  • 100_4884.JPG
    100_4884.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 961
  • 100_4883.JPG
    100_4883.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 955
  • 100_4889.JPG
    100_4889.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,083

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome finds there.. but I gotta admit, was drooling over your pottery shards..they make the coolest art designed tables or around a mirror..neat colors and of course love all your real good finds..man you must have one huge pouch.. nice nice finds there.

U

umrgolf

More good stuff guys :icon_thumleft: glad you tracked down another winder Buck :headbang:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
BB,
You guys have been knocking it dead out there. :hello2: Some fantastic relics. I have a heel plate like the star one you have there.
Congrats on those relics that seem to have a personal touch added to them. :thumbsup:
I love your new avatar. Hilarious! :laughing9:
I gotta ask.........what is "File" for your gumbo mean? I hope she didn't mean "flies". :tongue3: :o
Great post,
Doug

Doug,

When I ran across that old photo of the three guys posing with sugar cane stalks, I thought it was hilarious. Said to myself, "Self, dat's gonna be my new avatar." :D

File is powdered sassafras used for thickening in Southern Louisiana. Co-opted from the Native Americans by the Acadians. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Buckles

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deltamann said:
Looks like you had a heck of a hunt BB.

Is that long piece of lead possibly a confederate "Whitworth" bullet? I can't tell from the angle of view of your pic.

Dman

The long piece of lead has a hole all the way through, and it is likely an old fishing sinker. Folks really liked to fish along the river here.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

ossi

Nov 3, 2011
Pannonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO INTERNATIONAL (Nel hunter)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
big congratulations to hunts

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
Keep hunting those Colonial fields in LA. ;D The pottery is a great sign for early finds in the area. Soon you will be digging old Gaw Gag and then you will be in the zone. :laughing7:

Kirk

We are already in the zone. It's great to be in fields where you don't know if the next target will be 1700s, 1800s, Civil War, or farmer-dropped. 8)

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Buck, I wonder if anyone noticed the metal detector in the guys hand in the avatar?? Priceless........good work you did :headbang:
And that's me with the detector, you on the other side standing and Bernard Bonier siting down ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread