duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Next one you find, don't clean it other than to brush the dirt off. Leaving it in a dug condition with increase the value. Just like on the "Roadshow", taking off the patina decreases the value.

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I agree. I have 'cleaned' several coins over the years....they look cleaner, but the value destroyed. Soap and water, perhaps olive oil......I would do no more from now on.....

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Resized your pics for my viewing pleasure.
Nice find and great job cleaning. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Federal Breastplate 002.jpg
    Federal Breastplate 002.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 2,048
  • Federal Breastplate 003.jpg
    Federal Breastplate 003.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 2,080

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry you cleaned that plate, electrolysis on brass and lead? Most people do not like over cleaned and shiny relics. I must admit I "shined up" my first eagle button and could not believe how great it looked afterwards. LOL

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
duggap said:
Next one you find, don't clean it other than to brush the dirt off. Leaving it in a dug condition with increase the value. Just like on the "Roadshow", taking off the patina decreases the value.

Great Plate but leave the patina on it!!

momule55

Nov 9, 2006
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra's The Great One's!!!
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This Is Almost As Good.....

As the guy on a forum that "Tumbled" his white colored 3 ring minne balls to remove the "White Stuff"!!!!!!! Sad, you just took about $50 off the value of the plate, altho, if you keep it for yourself and think it's great, who cares. I would love to find one in that shape and just rinse it off and leave it alone...................

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks awesome. But I myself prefer the aged patina look. That's what gives it it's character and story! Amazing find though...I could only dream of finding one. Maybe someday!

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
Very nice addition to a display. Never mind all of the "Don't clean it" comments. Yes, it's true that you might decrease some of it's value on the market, but I don't believe you are going to sell it anyway. Once the first person explained why not to clean it, that should have been the end of it. Keep up the great finds. Johnny 8)

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnny Ringo Silver said:
Very nice addition to a display. Never mind all of the "Don't clean it" comments. Yes, it's true that you might decrease some of it's value on the market, but I don't believe you are going to sell it anyway. Once the first person explained why not to clean it, that should have been the end of it. Keep up the great finds. Johnny 8)

You can't expect that from a message board! lol I think a lot of people kind of dream of finds like that and they just wanna express what they would do. No harm done!

OP
OP
alderan33

alderan33

Oct 15, 2010
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I
Garrett Pro Pointer
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
duggap said:
Thanks but I don't care about the monetary value. I will be donating everything I find to the museums in the areas the items were dug. ;D

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alderan33 said:
duggap said:
Thanks but I don't care about the monetary value. I will be donating everything I find to the museums in the areas the items were dug. ;D

Very nice find. Great idea to donate it.
DANGLANGLEY

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
The cool thing about the donating and the fact that you have pics showing what you did will help keep the perspective of the people viewing the relic. We all shudder (at ttimes) about the cleaning process but a lot of us have done it at one time or another. You get to show people the before and after so they get to see in situ and museum ready relics. Good for you and keep sharing those finds!

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful plate patina or not. Congrats on a great find. :thumbsup:

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. I agree on not cleaning, but why donate it? Like the other thread on here of why not to lend or donate to museums, this may just end up in some greedy employs pocket and never seen by the public. Bad idea in my book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread