Rare 1847 Headless Large Cent - Politial movement?

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out this morning but it was too cold and windy for my liking so I called it an early day. Found a bunch of casings and this rare headless large cent :laughing9:.....someone probably cut out the head to wear as a lapel to protest the civil war...copperhead movement????.....or not because I read in another post that the lapel pins would be from indian head pennys. What are your thoughts? http://www.cointalk.com/t21668/

2.jpg
1.jpg
copperheadpin.jpg

Upvote 0

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Rare 1847 Headless Large Cent

At least they left you the date. It is a lucky horse shoe!

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That just makes no cents. :tongue3:

Neat find anyway. :icon_thumright:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

What a great save! I have to lean towards the infamous "Copperheads" The Copperheads would have cut the heads from the LC's and fashioned them into stickpins, which they proudly wore to protest the CW movement. They favored the Union, but were againsted Lincolns beliefs. Clement Vallandigham, leader of the Copperheads, coined the slogan: "To maintain the Constitution as it is, and to restore the Union as it was."
Probably the largest Copperhead group was the Knights of the Golden Circle; formed in Ohio in the 1850s, it became politicized in 1861. It reorganized as the Order of American Knights in 1863, and again, early in 1864, as the Order of the Sons of Liberty, with Vallandigham as its commander...I think your coin is a great find that could very well have been a part of this movement. If so, I feel it could be as collectible as a fashioned stick pin...Maybe even more desirable. Congrats!

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats too bad....it would have been a nice coin!!!

:-\

Joe

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Woodland Detectors said:
What a great save! I have to lean towards the infamous "Copperheads" The Copperheads would have cut the heads from the LC's and fashioned them into stickpins, which they proudly wore to protest the CW movement. They favored the Union, but were againsted Lincolns beliefs. Clement Vallandigham, leader of the Copperheads, coined the slogan: "To maintain the Constitution as it is, and to restore the Union as it was."
Probably the largest Copperhead group was the Knights of the Golden Circle; formed in Ohio in the 1850s, it became politicized in 1861. It reorganized as the Order of American Knights in 1863, and again, early in 1864, as the Order of the Sons of Liberty, with Vallandigham as its commander...I think your coin is a great find that could very well have been a part of this movement. If so, I feel it could be as collectible as a fashioned stick pin...Maybe even more desirable. Congrats!

Thanks for the info Mike! The property owner told me that the land was one owned by a northern merchant which could be why this was found in Virginia??

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing, that is a neat find.......cool :headbang:

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
While that is a definite possibility, it may have also been cut out that way to use as a cotter or some sort of washer. After the rise of small cents, a lot of farmers and others used LC's like washers and it could have been fashioned like that to serve some mechanical purpose...

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find. Only if it could tell a story. At least they left the date on it for you. ;D

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad you didn't find the face of Liberty to go with the other half of the coin. Maybe you will, someday.
Interesting posts as to why it may have happened. If I pay enough attention to this site, I might get a better
grade in the next U.S. history test I take. :laughing7:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would rather find the coin like it is.It has a story to tell.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
p2c said:
While that is a definite possibility, it may have also been cut out that way to use as a cotter or some sort of washer. After the rise of small cents, a lot of farmers and others used LC's like washers and it could have been fashioned like that to serve some mechanical purpose...

I agree.

I have found cut out coin 'heads' & they are very neatly cut. If you were to use the head cut from that one it would look rough as hell. They were done with far better tools & skill, if they were to be displayed in anyway. (exactly as your picture implies)

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice story telling find!!!! MR TUFF

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
p2c said:

I agree.

I have found cut out coin 'heads' & they are very neatly cut. If you were to use the head cut from that one it would look rough as hell. They were done with far better tools & skill, if they were to be displayed in anyway. (exactly as your picture implies)

Why couldn't you do a rough cut to get it away from the rest of the coin, then clean it up?? When I dug the coin, I too immediately thought it was used as cotter pin or farm fix but after looking at it...it looks like the bust was intentionally is cut out. Regardless, thanks to Mike from Woodland Detectors, at least I learned who the "Copperheads" were :laughing9:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
joeyfresh said:
CRUSADER said:
p2c said:

I agree.

Why couldn't you do a rough cut to get it away from the rest of the coin, then clean it up?? When I dug the coin, I too immediately thought it was used as cotter pin or farm fix but after looking at it...it looks like the bust was intentionally is cut out. Regardless, thanks to Mike from Woodland Detectors, at least I learned who the "Copperheads" were :laughing9:

That is an interesting cutout for sure, I tried to see if where it was cut would have gone into the bust at all and hard to say but I think it did, which to me would eliminate the cutting out to make a copperhead pin, but perhaps the person just did an oops. I would think if he was going to make a cutout for the bust he would have simply clipped away till he got close to the bust then file down to the right outline. So maybe it was intended to be used as a cotter pin type of thing. Either way a cool find for a cut copper. I have one where the entire center was cut out, not even sure if it was a Large Cent or a colonial....

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread