Arrowhead and Rock with Carving spotted in Arkansas

mystariea

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2012
Nothern Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently moved to Harrison, Arkansas. Today a friend and I were at the Kings River in nearby Carroll County and I spotted two great objects! I'm hoping someone here can give me some information on them.
First I found an arrowhead! We were walking along the shore and I looked down and there it was!!
Soon after seeing the arrowhead I spotted this rock with a carving on it. First we thought it might be a scorpion but after looking more we thought maybe an animal (turn your head to the left)?
I took pictures of both hoping to get more information.
I know nothing about either. I am new to Arkansas (from California) so I don't know all the great history here yet.
Any information is appreciated.

Attachments

• rock carving small.jpg
    rock carving small.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 3,008
  • spearhead1sm.jpg
    spearhead1sm.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,622
  • spearhead2sm.jpg
    spearhead2sm.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 1,833
Upvote 0

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How big are the objects? It would help if you would lay them next to a ruler or something to give some perspective. The marks on the rock sure don't look like a natural occurance! I'm real curious as to what you have found. Maybe, X Files stuff!!??

OP
OP
M

mystariea

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2012
Nothern Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roland58 said:
How big are the objects? It would help if you would lay them next to a ruler or something to give some perspective. The marks on the rock sure don't look like a natural occurance! I'm real curious as to what you have found. Maybe, X Files stuff!!??
Lol... I'm pretty sure they are natural marks but who knows! X Files stuff would be cool too!
I did take a picture of the arrowhead on my credit card, I took it down so I could edit it... here it is...

Attachments

• spearheadccsm.jpg
    spearheadccsm.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,620

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mystariea said:
The rock is about the size of the palm of my hand.

Thanks, that gives a much better idea as to the sizes. Very nice arrowhead. Regarding the rock, I just can't see how those can be natural markings. There are too many lines that terminate at a 90° angle to another and then that 'peanut' shape that has the ends meeting perfectly....I feel those are man(or ??) made, for sure. Are there any other indian artifacts from that area with similar type rock drawings?

This is most interesting.

OP
OP
M

mystariea

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2012
Nothern Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roland58 said:
Thanks, that gives a much better idea as to the sizes. Very nice arrowhead. Regarding the rock, I just can't see how those can be natural markings. There are too many lines that terminate at a 90° angle to another and then that 'peanut' shape that has the ends meeting perfectly....I feel those are man(or ??) made, for sure. Are there any other indian artifacts from that area with similar type rock drawings?

Sorry.. your right. I don't know why I said natural markings.. I don't believe they are natural either. I don't see how they can be.. there are little "pits" in the lines that look like they were intentionally made. I don't know if there are more or not but I would guess yes as I have been researching and Native Americans lived in the area. Specifically Cherokee, Caddo, and Osage from what I see. A few others as well. I definately want to go back soon, hopefully this week. My friend was pretty sure she saw another rock before I saw this one but didn't think anything of it until we really started looking at this one. By then she couldn't find it again.
I definately want to go back with my husband and have another look.

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
There were natives much older than the tribes you mention from that area going as far back as paleo! Congrats on ur finds. Warning picking up rocks is addicting! Lol

OP
OP
M

mystariea

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2012
Nothern Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buzzgator said:
There were natives much older than the tribes you mention from that area going as far back as paleo! Congrats on ur finds. Warning picking up rocks is addicting! Lol
Thanks for the info. If you have any suggestions on where to find more information and research I would love to hear about it. I intend to visit the library as well as my county's heritage museum (I found these in the next county over) this week if possible.
My husband and I may go back tomorrow to see if we can find anything else. I saw both of these during 30 minutes of just walking along the shore just looking at rocks and talking. I'm hoping if I actually look closely I might have more pictures to post tomorrow!!
It is very addicting! Has me wanting to dig around our property too as we are near a creek!

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
Hi and welcome to this addiction! The best place for info is rite here on treasurenet on the american indian forum, google will also point you towards more publications on the subject. It looks like you have already found a great place to start a collection. Facebook also several AIA groups with very knowledgable people that are always willing to help out and provide info. Happy Hunting.

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some great historical finds. The lines on that rock were surely man made. I would love to come across a rock like that.

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
on the rock! if you flip it to the right once it looks like a deer or some kind of animal. see the 4 legs? ;Dwilly

ouachitacaveman

Mar 12, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.. you should be able to take the rock to the
University of Arkansas at nearby Fayetteville to let some of the
archeologists
of the Arkansas Archeological Survey look at. I'm sure they
can date it for you, as well as the projectile point.
I'll bet they are both archaic / paleo as mentioned above,
meaning possibly thousands of years old. Hopefully you may be able
to locate more of the carved rock, as it appears to be broken from
a larger stone. :thumbsup:
As for the tribes in Arkansas you mentioned, the Caddo tribe,
in general, lived South of the Arkansas River Valley all the way
into Louisiana and East Texas.
[ ... correction, there was, indeed, a group known as the Northern Caddo's
that were in your area, sorry, I spoke too soon on that ! lol ... ]

Thanks for the photos !!

:headbang:

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont move the rock...get a topo map of the immediate area. I believe that what you have found will match up with local topographic layout...Steve

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet point!!!!! MR TUFF

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stevesno said:
Dont move the rock...get a topo map of the immediate area. I believe that what you have found will match up with local topographic layout...Steve
Listen to Steve.....Keep an open mind about what that rock may be saying. Read about the KGC. (there's lot of information here on TNet under the KGC section of the forum) There's a book called Shadow of the Sentinel by Bob Brewer that's pretty good.

Love the artifact! Isn't it a thrill to look down and see an artifact just laying there? And to think about the last person that held it.

OP
OP
M

mystariea

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2012
Nothern Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charmin said:
Listen to Steve.....Keep an open mind about what that rock may be saying. Read about the KGC. (there's lot of information here on TNet under the KGC section of the forum) There's a book called Shadow of the Sentinel by Bob Brewer that's pretty good.

Love the artifact! Isn't it a thrill to look down and see an artifact just laying there? And to think about the last person that held it

Yes it is definitely a thrill! We have all been thinking about the last time these items bay have been seen! I'm unfamiliar with the KGC so thank you I will look that up now. I will also look for that book. I plan on taking a trip to the library as well as taking photos of these items to the Heritage Musuem. I went back today but all I could find is what may or may not be a small point.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Attachments

• smallpointsm.jpg
    smallpointsm.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 899
  • smallpointsm.jpg
    smallpointsm.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 875

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without beating the obvious to death, the rock appears to be a fragment of something larger. The peanut object (to me) looks like a drawing of an animal/bug of some sort.

Jdubya

May 19, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turn the picture 180 degrees and it looks like a buffalo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread