trade braclets, trade silver, iron stuff....

abucooche

Feb 23, 2011
CENTRAL ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
white's mxt pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hello all, haven't posted in a while. here are some of my finds for the last several hunts, lots of copper jinglers, trade silver, copper kettle pieces, iron stuff, trade gun parts, etc. also i found the old plate buried under pretty deep tree roots while i was searching with my MD, and found the pieces of leather also. Any idea on the leather pieces? Either way, finally upgraded to a white's mxt pro and loving every minute!!! happy hunting!!!! thanks for looking.,

Attachments

• DSCN0717.JPG
    DSCN0717.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,830
  • DSCN0716.JPG
    DSCN0716.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 2,209
  • DSCN0695.JPG
    DSCN0695.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,853
  • DSCN0694.JPG
    DSCN0694.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,825
  • DSCN0686.JPG
    DSCN0686.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,820
  • DSCN0684.JPG
    DSCN0684.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 2,158
  • DSCN0675.JPG
    DSCN0675.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 1,839
  • DSCN0674.JPG
    DSCN0674.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 2,128
  • DSCN0676.JPG
    DSCN0676.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,911
Upvote 0

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds! Love the silver trade pieces, do you know what the rolled pieces of brass were for? HH

OP
OP
A

abucooche

Feb 23, 2011
CENTRAL ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
white's mxt pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MKnTenn said:
Nice finds! Love the silver trade pieces, do you know what the rolled pieces of brass were for? HH

the rolled pieces are called tinklers, the indians would cut up scrap kettle pieces and roll them up for jewelry, and when put many beside eachother they would make a noise. that is what i have read anyway. i have found TONS of these pieces of copper kettle. i am still learning about all this stuff....
thanks for looking.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds man!!Looks like you have a horse bit in there too!

OP
OP
A

abucooche

Feb 23, 2011
CENTRAL ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
white's mxt pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
calisdad said:
Wow. Nice haul. And a soldering iron to boot. :thumbsup:

can i ask what in the heck is a soldering iron? is it the long handled thing that looks like a screwdriver? the handle part is very green patina and extremely heavy. is it old and what was it used for? i really thought is was just an old screwdriver or something, but you can tell where the rod piece is wedged into the copper handle. any info would be great, as i found in the same area as the other things. all my finds to date have been found in the same 10 acre area!!
thanks....

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, its the long shafted thing in the bottom left of the last 2 pics. It would have a wooden handle so it could be held, heated up on the heavy end and melt solder on whatever they were working on. They are still used today and still look very much like the one you found.

here's some:
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/huge-copper-solder-soldering-irons-blacksmith

come to think of it as you're finding lots of copper that's probably what they were working on.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is a great post on Fur Trade relics. Awesome! I would be digging pits at that site. :wink: Flip the iron out of the way and the deeper relics will pop. :icon_thumleft:

Keep the passion high!

Kirk :hello:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are on a nice indian village site :headbang:

You have a nice collection of copper bracelets, silver bobs, trade axes, gun parts, tinklers, etc. just in what you recovered these last few hunts. Looks like a few pieces that are later than the indian relics, especially in the first pic.

Looking forward to your next post.

OP
OP
A

abucooche

Feb 23, 2011
CENTRAL ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
white's mxt pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks for the info on the soldering iron, very interesting! i have several other iron items items that i have just put away with no clue...they might be something important?? also, thanks for the advise KIRK PA, lately, i have been skipping over every iron beep and only digging the non-iron, but maybe i will dig up all the iron stuff and just see what's below....uummm, good idea. will post new pics soon.

i have also found many surface beads and points which i had posted sometime back on tnet.

ok, ready for work to end so i can go dig in the dirt for a while, hahaha!!!

Question for anyone? obviously most of my finds thus far are "trade items", is it appropriate to post here or under trade fur items? just curious....

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
post pics of your whatsits,here's a couple of books that might help too,
fort michilimackinac, by lyle m stone
on the great warpath, by david r. starbuck
soft gold, by thomas vaughn
indian trade relics, by lar hothem

hope this helps

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of your items is a froe (at 9 oclock in the photo). Unless its broken its not a shingle froe. Maybe for splitting fence rails.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you say you are still learning, I don't know if you realize it or not, but you have part of a musket lock plate in your iron finds photo, toward the bottom center.

Great finds!

-Buckles

OP
OP
A

abucooche

Feb 23, 2011
CENTRAL ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
white's mxt pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wwwtimmcp said:
post pics of your whatsits,here's a couple of books that might help too,
fort michilimackinac, by lyle m stone
on the great warpath, by david r. starbuck
soft gold, by thomas vaughn
indian trade relics, by lar hothem

hope this helps
thanks for the tip on the books, will go to the library asap! i will post a few whatsits real soon. went hunting today for few min and found my first copper heart ring, will post that this weekend. again thanks!!!!!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds and the photos show you are digging everything....that's how you do it :headbang:

flintlock

Aug 6, 2007
Yes, an incredible site indeed!!! A site like this deserves detailed documentation, as the years go by you will be thankful that you did.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm NOT saying thats what they are,But I do know that during the early trading days that the Indians Used flat copper as Points for arrow's too, they rolled them similar to what you have there, and put them on their arrow shafts. Great finds and HH.
Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions