Some more CW finds. Need help on bullet

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have hit the "hunted out" encampment site a few more times this past week. The weather here has been incredible and too nice not to be out digging relics. Found a few more bullets, my first complete pinfire (wahoo! :blob7:), a smashed general service button with great details, percussion cap, and some other odds & ends. Included is a handle that was almost definitely soldier-modified to be used as a tool of some kind? Any ideas? The handle part of it has a lot of scratches worn into it running length wise on both sides. There's also what I thought was just a bended piece of thick gauge wire at first but after cleaning and closer examination I think it may have been a pack hook of some kind. The straighter end has a groove around the round shaped (not clipped) end, the wire is quite stout and not magnetic, probably brass. Ideas? And, also, one of my bullets is unfamiliar to me. My buddy who is more up on his civil war bullet indentities says that it may have been a large caliber pistol bullet. Did they make them that large for pistols? The bullet is about 25 millimeters tall, base is 13 mm wide and it does have the cavity in the bottom. Two faint rings. I have small 3 ringers the same size. Lastly, I'm looking for a place to get a gauge that my bud has told me about that helps to identify bullet calibers via holes in the gauge (flat card of plastic with holes corresponding to different calibers). Anyone know what I'm talking about and where I might find one?
Thanks and happy hunting. Am itching to get out now and go look for some silver, have had my CW relic fix and need me some silver/gold....

Attachments

• 1-24finds7.jpg
    1-24finds7.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 436
  • 1-24finds.jpg
    1-24finds.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 644
  • 1-24finds1.jpg
    1-24finds1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 610
  • 1-24finds2.jpg
    1-24finds2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 614
  • 1-24finds3.jpg
    1-24finds3.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 485
  • 1-24finds4.jpg
    1-24finds4.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 466
  • 1-24finds5.jpg
    1-24finds5.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 434
  • 1-24finds6.jpg
    1-24finds6.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 430
Upvote 0
U

umrgolf

nice finds :icon_thumleft:
the wire piece appears to be a sword hanger.. can't help with the bullet

Richmond arsenal sword hanger and belt kit

images.jpg

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dont have my bullet book in front me but its n ot a pistol bullet. im sure they all solid bases. Since it has a cavity then it was for a rifled musket and not a breech loader. probly a cast 50 cal ill look into it later. The modified item looks like it was a fork or spoon moade into something. nice sword hanger too

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll make a guess on the handle thing. Perhaps for taking the lid off of a hot cast iron cooking utensil, lifting the coffee pot off of the fire, something like that. It's got the thumb thing at the top, like he was expecting to lift something kind of heavy. ???

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Good finds there. I hope there is sword plate somewhere near where you found the sword hanger.
-Evan

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful finds. I would say in the first picture that is a sword hanger. Here is the one I found last year at an old farmhouse.

A little different but similar design, in a way 8).

Attachments

• Civil War sword hangar.JPG
    Civil War sword hangar.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 425
OP
OP
silversweeper

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, the pin fire was a "big smile on my face" kind-a find. Was hoping for a nice Infantry button but when I found the pinfire, I figured it would be the find of the day. And now I find out my "piece of wire/pack hook" that I found the day before that is a sword hanger?! Awesome. darn the bad luck that the sword wasn't attached....lol. Obviously I sure wish the plate were there too, but.....I'm picking up the sparse left overs on these sites. All the big goodies are in the hands of other detectorists, for the most part. I'm sure there are a few of the wet-your pants kind of targets left but they're going to be deep and hard to find. I'll sure be looking for them as time allows though.... the year is starting out nicely though, hope the goodies keep jumping into my pouch.
HH All!

jb58

May 22, 2009
missouri
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
knowing how hard it is to find anything at the camp-your really doin great! plus im sure your machete is getting a workout! glad to see your still finding some goodies! congrats! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread