1885 House gives up silver brooch + more silver

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Took a road trip an hour or so to an old town in Florida with some brick streets and found a house to ask permission. A heavy set lady with just a few teeth and smelling a bit ripe answered the door. What she lacked in appeal and scent she made up for being nice, even though the first words out of her mouth were "you won't find anything" - to which I told her how many times I heard that...So here's how it went. Great place, check out the steps up from the curb to the street for a horse/carriage, still in place. My first good find was a 1944 Merc, figured that was a good sign it had probably not been detected...a little while later I got this cool silver ring, no writing inside....then this button that looks modern but there is older looking loop in back, so it could be early or mid 1900s. Finally, the best find of the day, this terrific looking silver horse head brooch popped out. Is marked "Sterling" and I figure either late 1800s or early 1900s.
All in all a great day detecting...I carefully covered the whole yard.

Attachments

• Oldsite1.JPG
    Oldsite1.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 962
  • Oldsite2.JPG
    Oldsite2.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 1,010
  • Oldsite3.JPG
    Oldsite3.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 997
  • Oldsite4.JPG
    Oldsite4.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 1,074
  • Oldsite5.JPG
    Oldsite5.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 1,076
  • Oldsite6.JPG
    Oldsite6.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,073
Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking brooch Bergie! :thumbsup:
Congrats on the nice finds. Looks like there are some other great houses on that street to check out too. Maybe her sister lives next door? :icon_scratch: :laughing9: Bring a clothes pin. :tongue3:
-MM-

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Cool finds. The steps are called a stile. There are still 4 or 5 in our town. A sign of prosperity in it's day. Good luck.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds, love the broach, I had to explain the steps to get on and off the horses or carrage :headbang:

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
now you're just showing off haha! :BangHead: seriously though...you are on a roll! really nice stuff!

mcmurphi

Feb 5, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX • Fisher CZ-21
That horse head brooch is an outstanding recovery and a great piece for anyone's collection....Congrats!

B

Bev

Love it all- the house is a dream come true look and treasure wise! The horse pin is really detailed isnt it? Really pretty congrats!

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds. Everytime I ask someones permission I get the same response. I kinda love to hear those words. The Brooch is killer, I just found one the other day myself! HH

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know that brooch was missed when it was lost. I probably would never wear the brooch, but I would wear that ring. Sweet.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Beautiful silver! If you get permission to hunt other yards in that area, please show us what you find. I love horses so think your silver brooch is one of the best finds I've seen on t-net. It looks realistic. HH Andi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread