BOOYEAH!!! A Spanish Cob from the Frozen Earth! New High Res. Pics!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to get out for an hour this afternoon to try my field one last time before the frost really set in. The ground was frozen to about 5 inches but it was manageable. First signal was a little choppy but was good enough to dig. This is something I've been hoping to find for 7 years. It's a Spanish cob!! I think it's a 1 reale from 1674...which would make it my new oldest silver! Condition is amazing but unfortunately my camera is still not downloading to my laptop so I had to use my BlackBerry. I'm absolutely gob smacked with this find!

I was finally able to download the pics from my camera. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG00291-20120128-1427.jpg
    IMG00291-20120128-1427.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 3,560
  • IMG00292-20120128-1427.jpg
    IMG00292-20120128-1427.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 3,554
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,778
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,811
Upvote 4

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Hot Diggity Cob :thumbsup:
Congrats to you Romeo on a great find, I can't even imagine finding one around here.
There doesn't seem to be much wear on it either, great detail.
2012 is going to be good for you :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surprised, no obvious banner votes, maybe it's more common than the 1916D that keeps making the banner :icon_scratch:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HILL BILLY said:
Congrats to you Romeo on a great find, I can't even imagine finding one around here.

Mine are all from my oldest sites dating about 1720-1750. I have never dug one one, or know of one here that was found with much later targets. Of course anything is possible but I know in my area you most likely need to be hunting a very old site.

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Iron Patch said:
HILL BILLY said:

Mine are all from my oldest sites dating about 1720-1750. I have never dug one one, or know of one here that was found with much later targets. Of course anything is possible but I know in my area you most likely need to be hunting a very old site.

One thing's for sure, If a cob was found in KY I'd be shocked. It's a great find regardless of where you are.
I'm also with Cru on this being up top. Vote is in!

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HILL BILLY said:

Thanks Hill Billy! This year has started great so it's all gravy from here...just need an old gold and some trade silver and I'll have my lifetime grail list complete!

Of course then I'll just generate another grail list! :headbang:

U

umrgolf

Amazing find Romeo :o It is in amazing shape, I too think this is a banner coin :headbang:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
HILL BILLY said:

I'm on a very old site (obviously) but there have also been targets found through 1812 and beyond...probably right up until early 1900s. Although, the cob was found at the back of the field where there have been very few targets so I may just now be finding the oldest part of the site...which may now be in the river!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big congrats on the cob...they are awesome to find. I've been luck enough to find two over here in the states which is very unusual.

As far as this mild winter I can believe the weather we've been having. I think it is going to hit 57 here in NJ today...just wish I had the time to take advantage of it. I did go out breifly on Sunday just to a local home site that had some ground scrapped...the mud was terrible so did not stay long.

Keep it up.

NJ

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft:

Great find, and congrats on the Banner, wish a few more would turn up here, because I would really like to find one :icon_thumleft:

SS

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Green with envey.
Congrats anyway. ;D

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Timekiller...three musketballs were dug with the cob.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Thanks Timekiller...three musketballs were dug with the cob.
I gotcha,yea seems like when I find mine I don't get much else on the hunt.Mainly because I feel complete at that point & ready to go home. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread