BOOYEAH!!! A Spanish Cob from the Frozen Earth! New High Res. Pics!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to get out for an hour this afternoon to try my field one last time before the frost really set in. The ground was frozen to about 5 inches but it was manageable. First signal was a little choppy but was good enough to dig. This is something I've been hoping to find for 7 years. It's a Spanish cob!! I think it's a 1 reale from 1674...which would make it my new oldest silver! Condition is amazing but unfortunately my camera is still not downloading to my laptop so I had to use my BlackBerry. I'm absolutely gob smacked with this find!

I was finally able to download the pics from my camera. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG00291-20120128-1427.jpg
    IMG00291-20120128-1427.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 3,560
  • IMG00292-20120128-1427.jpg
    IMG00292-20120128-1427.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 3,554
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,778
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,811
Upvote 4

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RELICDUDE07 said:
SWEET FIND!You know where to hunt now!Dont show this spot to ironpatch :laughing7:

It's too far anyway...

(While the ground is frozen) ;D :bom: <<< Ticking time bomb ready to go off in the Spring.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RELICDUDE07 said:
SWEET FIND!You know where to hunt now!Dont show this spot to ironpatch :laughing7:

Too late...he was with me on our inaugural hunt of this site. :help:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Timekiller said:
romeo-1 said:
Thanks Timekiller...three musketballs were dug with the cob.
I gotcha,yea seems like when I find mine I don't get much else on the hunt.Mainly because I feel complete at that point & ready to go home. ;D

Yep...I hunted for maybe 30 minutes after finding the cob but between the cold and the excitement I decided to quit a little early...and I can go back for that ecu d'or later.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!!! :thumbsup: Old silver is nice to see, especially Spanish silver! :icon_sunny:

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't been around much. But, I felt a Maritime post had to be close with all of the nice weather we had. Awesome find, Romeo. May you find many more!

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GioTheGreek said:
I haven't been around much. But, I felt a Maritime post had to be close with all of the nice weather we had. Awesome find, Romeo. May you find many more!

Thanks Gio...but I think my land detecting has come to an end for a few weeks at least...lots of snow now and the ground is frozen. Oh well...there's always Cannonball Beach!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrates, you all are killing us out here in "I have a better chance of sleeping with Jennifer Aniston, then digging a Spanish Cob", Denver".
Carl

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fantastic silver find!

All the best,

Lanny

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the find and the banner romeo.

My buddy Armstrong "Kentucky Relic Hunter" found one on top the ground in a park

here in Louisville a few years ago. He thought I was crazy for wanting to hunt the park.

There is no rhyme or reason as to how it was on top of the ground.

We found out later that this was the first low Dutch settlement in Louisville.

We burnt it up after that, but never found anything else comparable other than my set of silver colonial cuff links.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deno said:

My buddy Armstrong "Kentucky Relic Hunter" found one on top the ground in a park

here in Louisville a few years ago. He thought I was crazy for wanting to hunt the park.

We burnt it up after that, but never found anything else comparable other than my set of silver colonial cuff links.

Silver cufflinks are still pretty high on my list! I'll bet there's more there!

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Cob ....congrats for the banner ! :thumbsup:

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Deno said:

Silver cufflinks are still pretty high on my list! I'll bet there's more there!

You may be right, but the sad thing is our parks are now off limits to detecting.

They were initialled A on one and R on the other, I tried to match them up to the

old head stones at the grave yard there without any luck. I forgot to mention

that when I saw Armstrong coming through the woods with this big ---- eating grin

on his face and his arms out telling me he was going to Kiss me, I knew I was going to be sick.

I tried to stop him but he did kiss me on top of the head. This is the only one I know of coming up

around here, but I know there are more out there. Congrats on yours again.

tmyers

Jan 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pix!

I am doing a study on Spanish silver in Virginia. Recently published an article on Spanish coins in Louisa County that I will be glad to send to anyone interested

I hope that the collector community will help with the research. I would appreciate pix and at least a county designation. Circumstances of the find -- a house, a tavern, nearby roads -- would be helpful in understanding. If you will check the article you will see how I use the information. If I knew exact locations I would conceal them.

Tom

I was able to get out for an hour this afternoon to try my field one last time before the frost really set in. The ground was frozen to about 5 inches but it was manageable. First signal was a little choppy but was good enough to dig. This is something I've been hoping to find for 7 years. It's a Spanish cob!! I think it's a 1 reale from 1674...which would make it my new oldest silver! Condition is amazing but unfortunately my camera is still not downloading to my laptop so I had to use my BlackBerry. I'm absolutely gob smacked with this find!

I was finally able to download the pics from my camera. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread