Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    DEVONREX is my name .....digging history is my FAME!!!

Jan 2012
    SE Virginia
    Nautilus DMC IIB
    933 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (4)

Well I didn't think it could be done...but today I obliterated my personal best

record of finding 4 French turret back Revolutionary War buttons in one day, (which I just set on Friday the 13th of this month), by digging 6 more French cuff buttons today! That makes an astounding 13 French buttons that have been found at this site in a little over 2 weeks! So far I have found a coat 64, 4 cuff 13's, 1 cuff 17, and a very rare cuff 10. Also found was another 1773 Halfpenny, a broken sling buckle, a few other broken colonial brass buckles, a brass part of a flintlock rifle, musketballs and a few later pistol bullets, and a 2 inch iron grapeshot. Of particular interest is an ornate object that appears to made out of pewter that kind of resembles a skeleton key and has traces of its original red paint. This item is in the closeup picture of the buttons at the bottom. Does anyone know what this is? I will carefully toothpick the buttons and post an update to this post sometime tomorrow or Monday. What an unforgettable day!!! HH Devonrex

us

Jan 2012
    SE Virginia
    Nautilus DMC IIB
    933 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (4)

Re: Well I didn't think it could be done...but today I obliterated my personal best

picture of all finds........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0491.JPG 
Views:	653 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	602721  

us

Jan 2012
    SE Virginia
    Nautilus DMC IIB
    933 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (4)

Re: Well I didn't think it could be done...but today I obliterated my personal best

close up of French cuff turret back buttons and unknown item
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0494.JPG 
Views:	635 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	602722  

That's a fine hunt...lot's of great relics right there!!
    If the elevator tries to bring you down, go crazy, punch a higher floor!

Man are you on a roll John! That's unbelieveable that you've been able to dig all those French buttons in such a short span of time. I guess you're in an untouched camp which probably means you're not yet finished with the Rev War recoveries. Keep hitting that site hard.
    TOTAL COLONIAL SILVER COINS DUG: 194
    - Hammered silver coins (pre-1645 not including cobs): 22
    - Hammered silver coins from the 1500s: 8 (all sixpences)
    - Spanish cobs: 22
    - Cut silver pieces: 88
    - Other whole colonial silver coins: 59
    - Colonial silver counterfeits: 3
    OLDEST COLONIAL SILVER COIN DUG: 1563 Elizabeth I sixpence
    MOST RARE AND VALUABLE COLONIAL SILVER COIN DUG: 1659 Lord Baltimore sixpence

NOTABLE COLONIAL COPPER COINS/JETTONS/TOKENS DUG:
    - Early 1600s jettons (3 dug)
    - 1600s Half penny trade token
    - 1650-75 Edward Jarvis "The George" tavern penny token (London)
    - 1670 Bristol merchant's farthing token
    - 1675 Charles II farthing
    - 1677-79 Charles II bawbee sixpence
    - 1694 W&M halfpenny (2 dug)
    - 1795 Liberty cap cent (graded EF)
    - 1797, 1798 & 1803 Draped bust LCs
    - 1811 Half cent (rare date - graded EF)
    - 1700s KG coppers (20-25 dug)
    - 1773 Va halfpennies (42-45 dug)
    - 1786 German 1 pfennig
    - 1700s French copper
    - Numerous 1700s undated or slicks

** All of these coins were dug at numerous colonial sites in southeast Virginia after securing property owner permission.

BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT:

I am anticipating that my new book entitled "DISCOVERING VIRGINIA'S COLONIAL ARTIFACTS - A Comprehensive Guide to Recovery, Identification and Preservation" will be available sometime in late 2017. This hardcover volume, nearly 400 pages in length, will double as both a "how-to" manual as well as a colonial artifact "encyclopedia" to help ID and date your finds. This publication will be a valuable resource not just for the colonial enthusiast, but for all metal detecting hobbyists as it covers topics such as research, permission, how to read and search sites, trash pits, artifact cleaning, preservation, documentation and display,ethics, and many more. It will also contain nearly 1000 color photos of 16th, 17th and 18th century artifacts I have personally recovered over the last 20+ years along with many quality post-colonial finds that randomly turn up at early sites. Updates will be provided as we get closer to the projected release date. (Last updated 5-4-17)

us
    Dec 2006
    Colonial Virginia
    Teknetics T2
    1123 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

What a kick-ass site you have!! I would love to see a group shot of all your finds from there once cleaned.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links