CaneField Bandits DOUBLE 1840s Orleans Silver!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

We had one heck of a hunt, finally got all the finds cleaned and examined and ready to post. First off, here's a little video to get you in the mood. ;D

How bout dem crabs? :laughing7:

Shanegalang and I hit the fields Friday afternoon for a nice hunt at our little ole cane field over dar. We said a little thank you to Bernard Bonnier for lifting the Cane Curse off ole Shane and we got swingin out in dat muddy muck. The soup in between the rows looked almost as dark as the gumbo roux Shane's wife made for us last night. :D

We started diggin some Civil War bullets right off, and I got two flat buttons in the field, but it was me that had the Cane Curse cause although I dug a lot of targets, it was really Shane's day. We started out slow, over low heat, stirring frequently. Then I got a suspender clip and Shane got a couple nice cast brass nails. I got some Colonial clay pipe pieces from the field, and we were picking up pottery left and right. Then we got into a trashy area where we were fighting the aluminum monster digging can slaw, and Shane shouted "I think I got a coin!" When I walked over to him, I saw this:

1.jpg

It was an 1840-O Seated Dime. :headbang: Shane's second silver coin (the first was a half real). He was on cloud nine, and we took a break at the truck and guzzled some water and took Action on dat Cane Field again. I knew I had to find a coin to even the score. Then as fast as a hungry Coonie can down a plate of Jambalaya, Shane yelled that he found another coin. This was a SECOND Seated! Half dime this time, 1842-O.

2.jpg

Incredible. I felt the Cane Curse beating me down. I started sweating. I started babbling incoherently. Two Seateds in one hunt. I kept thinking about it. Repeating it in my brain. Shane called me over to take a photo with one of his treasures:

3.jpg

I had to find a coin, CW button, great relic...something! The light started fading, and I raced against it to no avail. It was his day--and he deserves it. Silvers number two and three. Well, we stopped by some old friends, had a beer around a big cast iron kettle and decided to stay the night in the Hacienda Mexicana de los Ratones Muertos. Beautiful little cottage with a spacious front porch near an old plantation home. Breakfast was included. :D

After a good night's sleep we got up and back in dem dar Cane Fields, ya. We had gotten permission for another huge tract of land, and wanted to check out the site of a plantation home. We pounded the fields there with little to show...BUT I did manage to get my coin. It was laying right on top and it beeped at me from the muddy silt of the bottom of the cane row.

4.jpg

Yep. A stinkin' 1915 Wheat. It's been a year since I dug a wheat cent, and digging them is kind of like eating brussel sprouts. You think you might be ok eating them again, and then you eat one and you remember how bad they taste. :D

Then we went to a little get together with some friends and got permission for another huge tract of land. Ate some Jambalaya and Cracklins, plus some damned good homemade sausage and then den we got back in da truck and headed back home to clean our finds, us. Shane's wife made Gumbo late that evening and I would've taken a photo of the beautiful bowl of goodness if I hadn't eaten it all up before I thought about it.

Here are some photos of the finds. First off, this one is for Hill Billy.

5.jpg

Shane's Pottery pieces he eyeballed:

6.jpg

7.jpg

Shane's keepers. Suspender buckle. Cast brass nails. Civil War 45 cal rounds. Barrel tap piece (upper right).

8.JPG

My GawGag. Camp lead, pack studs, parasol clip, pocket watch guts.

9.jpg

1700s clay pipe bowl and pipe stem piece. :thumbsup:

10.jpg

My keepers. Civil war bullets, pottery, suspender buckle, and the grubby wheat penny.

11.jpg

Caution: Seated Liberty Photos Below!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: CaneField Bandits DOUBLE 1840s Orleans Silver Day!

And here are the photos of Shane's 1840-O Seated Dime. Still a little crud on it, but it has come a long way. It was encased in a fertilizer coffin when it was dug.

A.JPG

B.JPG

And the photos of the 1842-O Seated Half Dime he dug:

C.JPG

D.JPG

Two Orleans Mintmark Early 1840s Silvers in one hunt. That's one for the record books--and a BIG Congratulations to Shanegalang!

Oh, and I almost forgot...

You are not going beleave the piece that I dug in the field. Someone splashed the lead on the ground in the shape of an eagle. :tongue3:

E.jpg

Happy Hunting, and laissez les bons temps rouler!

-The Cane Field Bandits

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terrific finds Will, looks like the 'Cane Fields' provided the proper bounty! That's a lot of targets that you two recovered and topping it off with some nice Seated Silver. I look forward to seeing what comes out of the back of that field in the coming days :wink: :occasion14:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just as I thought,them feilds are treating yall right!!I cant wait to see whats next!! :thumbsup:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I knew when I returned home from hunting Friday and had 2 voicemails from you that the news was GOOD. It was and you guys had a great hunt. A nice assortment of goodies and it's your turn to find an old coin (or plate) on Friday. I bet Shane is still grinning. WTG guys, Q.

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Nice seated's! There's been a whole lotta talk about your cuisine adventures in your new homeland. I'm trying to lose weight right now. If I am successful, should I save my chubby duds for you? :laughing9: Good to see you gittin' er dun!

HH! :hello:
Cm2db

garryson

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2007
Hungary
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some incredibly neat old finds! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coinmaster2db said:
Nice seated's! There's been a whole lotta talk about your cuisine adventures in your new homeland. I'm trying to lose weight right now. If I am successful, should I save my chubby duds for you? :laughing9: Good to see you gittin' er dun!

HH! :hello:
Cm2db

Man, if I don't get out of this state, I may need those duds. As long as you throw in the corn cob pipe, I'll be ok. :wink:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW - that's quite an assortment of relics. Great job on the silver!

U

umrgolf

Congrats to the team on making some more great finds... and a big thanks to you for the video :laughing9:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf said:
Congrats to the team on making some more great finds... and a big thanks to you for the video :laughing9:

I knew someone would watch it longer than the first 15 seconds. ;D

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I was extremely excited to find my second and third silver ever! And 2 in one day?? Unheard of. BB thanks for doing the post :icon_thumleft: I think I saw 5 maybe 3 of my cousins in the video :dontknow: Anxious to get back up there for another hunt. That gumbo was even better the next day! Always is. Cheers everyone and HH Shane Canefield Bandits :headbang:

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yall's finds were awesome, but dem crabs :laughing7: :thumbsup:...Congrats guys. I'm heading out to Button Hill this afternoon. I hope to pull a coin or two. Fingers crossed!! :headbang:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never liked catching crabs myself :D

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Another Skunkin for BBoy :laughing7: Dem Bones rubbed off own der dat Shanegai.
3 Silbers fo shane , 0 Silbers fo u .hmmm...unbeleavable :whip2:

What I'd do for some of those blue crabs, best eatins der is.
Better bring some next time you visit, make sure dey live too.
dat der video brings back some memories of Norleans in the early 90's.

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Some nice finds, but that iron buckle with the bullet hole in it, (first pic), and that beautiful "thrown lead" eagle, (last pic), is just AWESOME! HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread