Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yesterday I recovered my first Civil War era bullet, a Confederate Pattern 53 Enfield bullet at a Confederate campsite in Wilmington, NC that had long since been built upon with nice houses with big yards.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,450827.msg3188334.html#msg3188334

Today, The Basque and I went MDing at the same campsite. The property owner, a Professor with a PhD in Civil War Studies, again cautioned us that the campsite had been hit hard by relic hunters from the mid-70's to the early 80's, before development moved in, but he was happy to let us give it another go and wished us luck.

When all was said and done we had found a percussion cap and two pieces of musket lead. One piece was in a roll form and the other was in a folded flat form. When the property owner looked at both pieces of musket lead and he advised that he had found pieces in the area of the campsite in both styles. He had never found a percussion cap at the old campsite so we gave it to him as a way to say thank you for the opportunity to MD on his property.

This was our first campsite. We look forward to the next one. If anyone wants some company of a hunt, let me know.

Thanks, PB.

Attachments

• Percussion Cap.JPG
    Percussion Cap.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 789
  • Lead Ingot.JPG
    Lead Ingot.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 821
  • Lead Ingot (4).JPG
    Lead Ingot (4).JPG
    60 KB · Views: 963
Upvote 0

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds , yeah I no the feeling when you get to a site and told well it was hit in the 70's makes me wish I was into the hobby back then ,those guys cleaned house !

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's all good. We got our feet well and truly wet on this campsit. The fact we found a percussion cap and the property owner had never found one was good enough for us. We have an open invite back anytime. I will go back for sure and knock on some other doors too. Good times.....

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to you. :thumbsup:
I just found my first percussion caps on Saturday.
I have a hollow piece of lead too like your 2nd photo. I've always wondered what it was used for. :dontknow:
Thanks for the post.
-MM-

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anytime MM. My buddy pinged the cap, but it took both of us to find it (I need a pin-pointer). My buddy found his musket lead not two feet from where I had found the Enfield at a depth of about 15 inches. I must of missed it during my post bullet finding, delirious state....

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Papa Bear said:
Anytime MM. My buddy pinged the cap, but it took both of us to find it (I need a pin-pointer). My buddy found his musket lead not two feet from where I had found the Enfield at a depth of about 15 inches. I must of missed it during my post bullet finding, delirious state....

What, no pin pointer :whip2: That a mortal sin in this hobby. Nice that you are finding CW goods and have the base as a back up too :thumbsup: Look forward to your next find. Regards, Ron

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CJH...I just corrected my deficiency tonight. I should get it in two days.

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt PB, all things considered.

I wish I would have started in the 70's

At one time I thought a pinpointer was a waste.

I can't live without it now.

Marinehunter

Jan 31, 2012
New York/Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Pro-pointer, Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Class act Papa Bear giving the property owner the cap, real nice.

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks MH!! It was the right thing to do. I have an open invite to go back. I may have to get a better, bigger, badder detector so I can scan deeper. My buddy found the tubed musket lead less than two feet from my bullet find but at least 6 inches deeper. My BH Tracker IV only goes so deep on tone mode....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread