2nd IH 1888 and 1919 s wheatie (easy come easy go on the IHs)

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
2nd IH 1888 and 1919 s wheatie (easy come easy go on the IH's)

Tonight went back to the site I got my first IH since they had tore up the ground a little more. Got the second IH 1888 and a 1919 s wheatie along with 13 clad cents.

I would say there is more there, but the concrete parking lot is closing in on my fast. Loads of trash to dig tonight. The torn up houses were corraled to the spot where the IH's were found, so was surprised to find anything but trash.

Sorry no pic on these 2. It's difficult to say how they are going to turn out since I have not tried to soak one of them before. It seems the IH might be corroding on the edge, but hard to tell really.

THanks for the read,

Postalrevnant

Going to try the long distilled soak and see what results I can get with it.

Is there any problems with soaking the IH with the wheaties?

Both IH if they clean up some appear as though they will have green patina. So will soaking the wheaties with them in Distilled change that coloration?

Upvote 1

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 2nd IH 1888 and 1919 s wheatie

Love them Indians Post! Don't know about the soak? But I do know about hunting a demo site! :P I went to one today, and finding keepers is very difficult!

Congrats on those finds!!

Nana :)

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe

Congrats on your finds. Gotta find my first IH..............it out there somewhere........ :-\

GL & HH,

DugHoles

eric in ks

Oct 29, 2005
middle america

Congrats on the IH. I've gotten where I put all my wheats and the occasional IH that I find in a bath of hot peroxide. Seems to do a nice job and is much quicker than distilled water. HH, Eric

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Congrats PR man on more great finds,
you are on a good roll, keep it going, good luck!

Smiles!
BDoo

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on your 2nd IH! It should not matter if you soak them together. HH, Mike

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Congrats on the second.

When there is one in a area there are more. Maybe land right around that spot that has more.

HH Jer

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That would definetley make my day Post....Nice job and thank's for sharing!!

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5

Good digs man, I think you're finding more Indians than me lately. I still think some of those older large homes in Middlesboro would be good, however that City wasn't even laid out til the 1890's. Barboursville would be the oldest big town and worth seeking permissions for sure. I'm coming down your way in a couple weeks, lets dig some scrip. See ya

OP
OP
Postalrevnant

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

daytondigger said:
Good digs man, I think you're finding more Indians than me lately. I still think some of those older large homes in Middlesboro would be good, however that City wasn't even laid out til the 1890's. Barboursville would be the oldest big town and worth seeking permissions for sure. I'm coming down your way in a couple weeks, lets dig some scrip. See ya

Really hoping I get to go with you when you come down here. I am sure if nothing else that I can get atleast one full day in with you. Especially hope we can find you some script.

Am currently doing hydrogen peroxide on these IH's. Being down in that flood area and the mineral down here has made both IH's pretty darn rough. And its not looking good on the clean up. It looks like the corrosion was in the coin and not on the coin, but still early so who knows. Perhaps I can pull out one good one from the 2.

johnowill said:
Congrats on the IH's!!!

Still looking for my first, I know it's out there somewhere.

Very surprised to see these 2. Probably only got them because of new construction and having over one foot of dirt stripped. Didn't think I would find a first here, so I know that one is waiting for you too.

OP
OP
Postalrevnant

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

JerDfx said:
Congrats on the second.

When there is one in a area there are more. Maybe land right around that spot that has more.

HH Jer

This I fully agree with. But unfortunately I think lots of the coins were probably hauled off with that dirt. Repeated attempts to find out where it went too have failed so I don't think I will be able to find out, if I do it will probably be feet deep with much more dirt over it.

This area has been really hard to detect. I have basically had to turn to metal mode on my detector and let it ring out sounds on all metal. Then check out of mode. They guy who did the grading was new or bad. The ground on this half city block is aweful. None of his cuts into the ground were even near level. So there are large humps and deep cuts all around. Making it hard to get a good scan with the BH coil and its inner coil catching on everything.

The IH's were less than 1/2 down. Basically just covered in the dirt coming off the tracks from the large dozer. So I feel the rest went away, but if this massive storm stops tonight will check it out with lots of water help to see if I get some better signals. The other thing driving me nuts was tearing down 2 more modern houses and then dozing the rubble all across the field to the other side. No sense at all in that move, but it sure put loads of other crap all the way along LoL.

OP
OP
Postalrevnant

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

DugHoles said:
Congrats on your finds. Gotta find my first IH..............it out there somewhere........ :-\

GL & HH,

DugHoles

Am sure the first is awaiting you, and soon too I hope.

civilman1 said:
That would definetley make my day Post....Nice job and thank's for sharing!!

Ty yes I was pretty happy, just hope one turns out decent enough to put it in a display.

OP
OP
Postalrevnant

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

Thanks again to all of you. Appreciate the posts from all of you. It's pretty cool to get posts and responses from peps that regularly get great finds.

Perhaps I am beginning to move in the right direction and starting to get a hang on places important to look at.

I especially appreciate the advice on cleaning, the PM's about this and those helping me out during my first 3 months MDing. I have learned a whole lot from you all, and the best is yet to come.

Get a little bit of my life, job, money and other things going the way I want and things gonna crank it up some. Then can get Charter Membership and perhaps make Gold coin, gold chain club etc....

TY again. :)

Postalrevnant or Doug friends.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

wtg! very good finds.
as for cleaning..
Cleaning Indian Head Coins or Copper!
1st I use a toothbrush, regular liquid soap and water. then I use regular baking soda, water and a toothbrush. Put baking soda on brush and slightly dampen. Brush coin. You keep rinsing off and keep checking. Don't overdo it but it does take some pressure from brush.
These were crusted with a brown/black soft crust which came off after I used the baking soda on them.
I could remove that slight green patina but some collectors actually like this. So I stop at that point.
Some patina is beyond repair or removal. You must learn to know the difference.

On key date copper coins - 1st try E.V. olive oil soak. Check after 7 days. Is it doing any good? may take 30 days or more to really make coin look better. And it may do little or nothing depending on the type of patina.
Good luck!

example of full crusted patina coin (IH) after baking soda used to clean.

Attachments

• 383.jpg
    383.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 267
  • 386.jpg
    386.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 261
OP
OP
Postalrevnant

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Re: 2nd IH 1888 and 1919 s wheatie (easy come easy go on the IH's)

I guess the IH's were too far gone. THe corrosion must have been pitted deep in the coins. I did the Hydrogen Peroxide on both and they are both pretty much toast.

It was not the Peroxide's fault. I can tell from the pitting of the coin now that they were doomed to start with.

If I get lucky enough to find some more will use baking soda on one and distilled on another next time to see how well they do. This wasn't a good test for the Peroxide so I don't have it ruled out. IT did the best it could.

TY,
Postalrevnant

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread