Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steam Ship Co., Debutante Balls and a Gold Mine called "Lady Luck"

Hi all Wondering how all this fits together [title]

Yesterday evening i went back to a hard rock mine site which i have never got back too .2 years ago first time i hunted this site and found these 2 pressed copper cylinders. Not embossed but have pictures of old steam trains and ships. Thought to be match safes but i not sure. 2 different sizes.
After checking out a few old photo's from the historicial Society. I found the name of the Mine "Lady Luck" In the picture there was other buildings away from the main boilers and steam-engine plant. drew a rough copy of the picture. The Historical Society do not lend or let directly copying any of their imformation. Protective as a few visitors have taken items that didn,t belong to them.One feels a little offended as your being watched all the time.

Later in the day i headed back to site and figured i would try my luck around the 2 out buildings and see how i went. Yes quite a bit of mine junk. Steel scrap and large pins that was all to be had at the first building . The second building took a while to get onto.Hard to judge distance from old photo and i had even less with my crude drawing. A few flooring nails[hand made] then a 6x6 inch thin steel plate. I knew what that was [ stump cap ]. These where put on the ground stumps to stop white-ants from getting into the floor bearers. Few more nails then Zip-Zip i know that sound well. Really sharp not lead .Gold .Sure enough a nice gram piece. Nothing more . Moved over about 20 feet and got 2 signals one was quite strong. Unsure on these. Finally an old silver coin .1872 ehglish shilling. Ok no real treasure but have to remember i find more small pieces of gold than i do old coins.The second faint target turned out to be this gun shell. Gun shells is not my thing and know little about them.

Part 2

My sister-law is a dress -maker. Its her passion and often during the months before the Traditional Debutante Balls she alters modern dresses to the old style. Even after more than a 150 year this tradition is a common event every year. Dancing lessons and Boys in full black tails. Not a foot out of step all night. Quite an amazing event to watch. Stepping back in time.Well back to the story.Mary-ann often goes to craft and dress -maker shows and theres all sorts of old wares ,materals and buttons.
She picked up a couple for me.A button and a lapel pin.
UNION STEAM SHIP COMPANY [1900] and a 1930's football pin.Deal is i if find any thimbles or early sewing related items she gets them. I seem to be the winner in this trade.

Part 3

Over the Xmas break i went to a junk market i scored a 1895 pre-federation post card for 2 bucks.water damaged but has all colonies coats of Arms shrouding the English Flag. Printed in Germany and has a late queen Victoria stamp on the back.

Part 4
Last Wedneday's "Weektimes " had a free double prints from the past. One side a a 1926 migrant
picture with a steam liner in it. The other an early brewery wagon.

Finds, trade deal, free print and sadly one brought item. Cannot find everything.

Sorry folks i can only make interesting posts on what history i can use.

tinpan

Attachments

• 100_1522.jpg
    100_1522.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 398
  • 100_1523.jpg
    100_1523.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 378
  • 100_1532.jpg
    100_1532.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 470
  • 100_1533.jpg
    100_1533.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 531
  • 100_1524.jpg
    100_1524.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 533
  • 100_1525.jpg
    100_1525.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 587
  • 100_1526.jpg
    100_1526.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 552
Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Steam Ship Co., Debutante Balls and a Gold Mine called "Lady Luck"

Tinpan , Your love of and respect for history , makes your posts a real treat to read - they
really set the scene in time and place - oh and nice finds ! I love "Vickie" silvers ! Argentium.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Re: Steam Ship Co., Debutante Balls and a Gold Mine called "Lady Luck"

Lovely 1872 shilling, gram o' gold, cool pressed metal with trains & ships --- love it all! And what fun to see bright post cards promoting Australia as background to the shilling, button & lapel pin. I learn interesting info every time you post and look forward to your research and digs. HH Andi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread