May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of this week has been sub-zero temperatures & the ground was frozen to about 3 inches but the snow didn't start until after we had finished 4 hours hunting new fields. We tried 3 of the 4 sprayed off fields (failed crops) which are close to our Roman Sites but we have never tried. I got the shock of my life when 1 hour into the hunt & whilst wandering about the 2nd field I dug my oldest coin ever :headbang: We went on to grid this area with no other signs, including no lead. So someone was looking over me today & my Gold streak continues...

Other finds:
USA Lead Seal - Meat Inspection (WWI-WWII ?)
1836 Silver Four Pence - William IV :)
1854 Cinq Centimes
Really nice complete & still ringing Crotal Bell :)

Gallic War Type circa 55BC
Gold Stater
Gallo-Belgic E - imported from Gaulish tribe of Ambiani
Just over 6g of Gold :blob7:
VA56-1

These coins were produced for payment to mercenary for one of the most famous Celtic battles in Roman History. Lead by a great Celtic Warrior called Vercingetorix against the armies of Julius Ceasar. It amazes me to think how & why this was imported into our country across the sea for trade or by warriors fleaing Europe to a safe island. :o

This coin now equals Dads oldest coin & is nearly a matching pair, other than mine is a VA56-1 & Dads is a VA54-1. 8)
http://www.yorkcoins.com/ab68_-_ambiani_-_gallic-war_type,_stater.htm

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 4,635
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 4,447
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 4,831
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 4,539
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 4,515
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 4,528
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 4,504
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 5,913
Upvote 10
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DMN said:
So, singles don't really count as treasure, right?

Nice coin. I guess that field requires a more scrutinizing!

One more thing, if you keep getting banner nominations it will take a full minute to get past your entries because your avatar will be about a foot long. Cheers and keep at it.

Correct, singles do not count as potential Treasure :headbang:

On the scrutinizing point - It is natural to think that but in this case its most likely the only Celtic find in the whole field. Remember the last one I got in January, we covered the whole of the 15 Acres & it was the only Celtic object in the field. If they are not associated with a 'site' which we already 'feel' it isn't then its hard to explain how a random loss got there, other than it may have been placed ritually in a field for good harvest but no real signs of that either.

We will continue exploring the 4 option fields we have available, & try & work out where to spend our gridding efforts, at this point there is no decision made.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
my congratulations on a gorgeous old gold coin. could not have happened to a more deserving person

jeepcj5

Jan 12, 2011
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
Etrac, xterra 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW just WOW!!!!! I am not a big jewelry guy, at least not for myself (nice watch tho) but I think I would have that made into a necklace or something and wear it on EVERY hunt, SUPER great luck charm... the history of that is truly mind boggling!!! Congratz Cru you deserve it buddy!!! :icon_thumright:

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations ; like l said they always seem to come along when you least expect them. once again l have to congratulate you. Hutch.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stewmac said:
Hi Crusader, an absolutely beautiful coin most have been heart stopping when you first caught a glimpse of that ............congrats banner defo :notworthy:

It was as I had just stamped on a fronze lump I had just dug up & it was sitting face up, before I bent over I knew what I had. All I could say is 'Gold Coin' to Dad & he looked at me blank whilst he tried to think what type of Victorian/Georgian Coin I had :laughing9: When Land-mag (most important team member) drove over in his 4x4 I told him I had got a Celtic Gold, he thought I was pulling his leg... :laughing7:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
landmagnet said:
Oldest gold stater! BANNER vote :hello2:

I heard you 'banging' away, so hope you bagged a few for tea :icon_thumright:

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
landmagnet said:

Enough for several teas! Good job you hit that field yesterday. Not much chance now with six inches of snow!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
landmagnet said:
CRUSADER said:
landmagnet said:

Enough for several teas! Good job you hit that field yesterday. Not much chance now with six inches of snow!
Good job :)

I know, I've done snow before, but this would be a waste of time. I spend the day sorting my Museum out :laughing7:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf said:
Great find Crusader :headbang: you have the banner on lockdown :laughing7:

I don't think Banner would be likely, 3 at once would be too much. The prize is owning this great piece of History & getting my pride back from Dad's dent on my oldest coin. At least being equal we have all to play for. It not a real competition because Dad gives up everything to my collection but its fun beating him most of the time. :laughing7: Maybe one day he will upgrade & have a fair fight but its looking unlikely. At least our 3rd member will be on a level plain field soon :wink:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I vote Banner!! :notworthy:
I have the bag ready to move to your city .... .... prepare the necessary permits ,are only three hours of plane. :laughing7:
Hispan .

U

umrgolf

CRUSADER said:
umrgolf said:
Great find Crusader :headbang: you have the banner on lockdown :laughing7:

I don't think Banner would be likely, 3 at once would be too much. The prize is owning this great piece of History & getting my pride back from Dad's dent on my oldest coin. At least being equal we have all to play for. It not a real competition because Dad gives up everything to my collection but its fun beating him most of the time. :laughing7: Maybe one day he will upgrade & have a fair fight but its looking unlikely. At least our 3rd member will be on a level plain field soon :wink:

nah, 3 isn't too much. A good find is a good find.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HISPAN said:
I vote Banner!! :notworthy:
I have the bag ready to move to your city .... .... prepare the necessary permits ,are only three hours of plane. :laughing7:
Hispan .
missing your finds :notworthy:

Bratvlos

Dec 19, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Déus the Only Wireless Métal Détector - Tecknetics D4000 - Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
M.A.G.N.I.F.I.Q.U.E

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
CRUSADER said:
DMN said:

One more thing, if you keep getting banner nominations it will take a full minute to get past your entries because your avatar will be about a foot long. Cheers and keep at it.

On the scrutinizing point - It is natural to think that but in this case its most likely the only Celtic find in the whole field. Remember the last one I got in January, we covered the whole of the 15 Acres & it was the only Celtic object in the field. If they are not associated with a 'site' which we already 'feel' it isn't then its hard to explain how a random loss got there, other than it may have been placed ritually in a field for good harvest but no real signs of that either.

We will continue exploring the 4 option fields we have available, & try & work out where to spend our gridding efforts, at this point there is no decision made.
Well, a drop here and there from some errant Celt is not a bad thiing. Just keep following them! You'll get a trove, even if it's one by one! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DMN said:
CRUSADER said:
DMN said:

Well, a drop here and there from some errant Celt is not a bad thiing. Just keep following them! You'll get a trove, even if it's one by one! :thumbsup:

Maybe, but Dad's was about 1 mile away from this one, so thats a lot of ground to cover before I luck on another one. The previous one I found this year was 10 miles away. :wink:

JOSEY WHALES

Greenie
Jan 30, 2012
INDIANA
Detector(s) used
MARKSMAN, FISHER F-2 GARRETT PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
fantastic bling very nice find that spill of those youre in a good spot!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions