CaneField Bandits: Double SPANISH Hunt Today!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Just when I thought I'd seen it all with the double helping of 1840s, Orleans Mint Seated Liberty Goodness last hunt, we moved our game to the next level--and half a century earlier--this week with a double Spanish Silver day! :hello2:

First off, let's get everyone in the mood with a soundtrack for you to listen to while you read this post, and then I'll tell ya a story. 8)

I met up with Shanegalang and we got on the muddy mucky canefields this morning at Dawn. Stopped by and said hello to Old Bernard Bonnier and he came along with us as our mascot on our hunt. We had noticed some signs of a few other houses on the massive property during our earlier hunts, and decided to go and check one of them out. The amount of brick was intense for this one, to the point that we thought it might've once been an old Sugar Mill. It was almost as if a brick bomb had dropped from the sky and exploded all over the field.

We got to work.

Immediately, we started digging flat button after flat button.

1.jpg

I got a nice tombac, and found a piece of a Civil War sword belt rig. Shane dug a WWI era great seal button. But to be honest, these were the only post-1850s finds made today. I dug a piece of a solid silver spoon bowl (scalloped shell design where it meets the spoon bowl). Shane dug a nice cast pewter domed button with a fat shank on it. :thumbsup:

As the clouds overtook the skies we started getting hungry, so we decided to take a little break and grab some file gumbo. ;D We kept getting more and more hungry, and dragging our feet on that break... Well, right before our lunch I got a call from Hill Billy asking what I was doing. "What do you think I'm doing?" I asked right back. :laughing7: He then told me to get off the phone and get hunting so Shane didn't skunk me.

I turned the next row, and got a shallow double-beep signal right on top. I dug a little little baby scoop out of the muck and and saw a flash of something shiny! I immediately got down on my knees to take a photo of the little beauty. I knew it had to be either a 3c silver or Spanish. And when I saw how worn it was, I knew it had to be a Spanish Half Real.

2.jpg

Old Bill Hilly must have called me with the good mojo, because my last Spanish was dug the year I met him. Since then, he has managed to hoover them all up--from Half Reales to One Reales, and even FOUR Big 8's. ::) I had to move 750 miles away to dig one again. :D

After the excitement and celebration, we decided it would be a good time to break for Gumbo.

When we returned to our new favorite field, Shane was on a mission. He dug a trigger guard piece, two padlock keyhole covers, and a nice Colonial Shoe Buckle Piece. :whip2:

Then in an instant, he looked at me and said "I found something the same as what you found!" My gears started turning, probably looking at him with a blank expression thinking "Bullet?" "Button?" Did he find a sabre belt rig piece? He looked at me and clarified things: "COIN!" :D
At that point, I decided to run over. It was a SECOND Half Real!!! :headbang:

3.jpg

We hit it a bit longer, all the while watching the weather radar as the storm clouds moved in, and the cold rain spat at us off and on. (Translation for the Northerners on the Forum: "Cold" rain is 60 degree rain when it is almost 80 outside. Brrrrr! :D) Right after I snapped this photo, the rain moved in and poured buckets on us, ending the hunt.

4.jpg

FINDS PHOTOS BELOW:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
kindafoundabuckle said:
You got to go into the middle of nowhere to find your Spanish silver ? Why don't you just go to a public park like I did ? :headbang: good times !

KFB

I don't have the balls to dig something that old in a public park. :D But then again, I'm also to fashion conscious to swing a three-foot diameter PURPLE searchcoil. :laughing7:

:whip2:

Hey it had depth. ( not really ) maybe a half inch more. I did go back to tractor mans place and found a few pieces with it after we pounded it over and over. The deepest target I got was a knapp sack hook. Then I was walking back to my black truck I had then after I was done and going to the emergency room with a torn muscle in my right arm from swinging it and me and tractor man had a nice talk. Such a wonderful man. That was on a Christmas eve. The year I don't remember. He was full of the Christmas spirit that day for sure.

KFB

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds guys.

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you guys eat good, love seeing the food pics...
oh yeah, nice silver too

Black Skull

Greenie
May 14, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I was just looking at your posts and was shocked because I recently found some Spanish pottery with the exact same design here in Florida. Any info on these items. Thanks

photosai1x.jpg
photosaix.jpg

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I was just looking at your posts and was shocked because I recently found some Spanish pottery with the exact same design here in Florida. Any info on these items. Thanks

View attachment 636459
View attachment 636460

Which piece are you referring to as "Spanish"? The feather edge with a scalloped rim is late 1700s. the blue pieces are chinoise most likely. the multicolored piece I'm not sure about. All I know is that the time frame on that is late 1700s to early 1800s...have you found anything that you can use to date the site more specifically?

Black Skull

Greenie
May 14, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in St Augustine, Florida near an old spanish farm/orchard on private property. The site is from the mid 1700's and is now woods. Just assumed some of it was Spanish.The umc black club shotgun shells were found near the same location which date to the mid 1800's. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread