First Timer!! Coinroll Hunting Finds and Question About Goldmaster!

D

Donkey

Hey guys! I have been interested in metal detecting for a bit. Got a book "Oklahoma Treasures and Treasure Tales" a while back because of a story my friend and I heard about hidden gold by a deserted group of Civil War soldiers that buried it by a river in SE OK and part of it is on his land... anyways... been reading the book and watching various TH shows on History and NG channels. Started looking at MD's on Ebay and happened to find a White Goldmaster 64TR (have a question about this later) at a junk store for $20... mint condition, looks to be never used. Last week I went to the almighty google to find a forum... and here it was! I have been reading threads day and night (girlfriend thinks I am crazy!) and I found what I was looking for! I saw lots about "coinroll hunting" so I tried it last night... got $200 in halves from the local bank. They brought them out to me and 19 of them were in the Macing rolled white paper rolls and one was in a brown hand rolled one and I almost exchanged it for the other type because I figured that there is no way that one would have anything... good thing I didn't!

Well the brown one I opened first... it had 7 1965-1968 Kennedy's! I then tore through the rest... and found 2 more 40% Kennedy's... wish I would have saved the brown one for last! I am going back to that bank to get the rest of what they have!

My question is about the Goldmaster. I found on Whites website that its prob about 40 years old... looks nice... and seems to work fine. I have seen that people recommend the ACE 250 and it looks to be a decent price. Is this one worthless? Should I just go ahead and buy an ACE? My grandparents own about 300 acres on a dead end road out in the country and there was a small rail "town" on their land that went away in the early 1900's. There used to be a railroad crossing on the property but both lines have been gone for many decades. The town consisted of a few buildings and on the net I have found that there was a Post Office for about 12 years and my gradma has a couple of pieces of mail that are stamped with the name of the town... but thats all the info I can find. I have a 1902 map that shows it, but a 1915 map I found online does not. There is nothing left of the town whatsoever. We find railroad spikes from time to time and a old glass bottle here and there but nothing else. As far as I know nobody has used a metal detector anywhere around there. So should I just get a new machine and then go out there... or would this machine be ok for that??

I am sorry that the post is so long... just excited! It looks like I have found a great place and I hope to make some friends and have some fun!! (I am already hooked on Danimal's Lunchtime Hunts!!)

BTW.. here is a pic of my finds!

CIMG0518.jpg

CIMG0519.jpg

Upvote 0

TJPOPELKA

Jul 31, 2006
Escanaba, Mi
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/Minelab E-Trac
Congrats on your first roll hunting-nice silver. Sounds like you have a very good place to search-wish it was closer to Upper Michigan. I just started metal detecting this year-I own the Garrett Ace 250 and really like it-easy to use right out of the box & will go fairy deep on coins & jewelry 6 to 8 inches-I feel it is probably the one of the best machines in its price range. It does take a little time to get use to the pinpointing features (at least it did for me), but I really like it and was very comfortable using it after a couple hours use-very light machine as well. I don't know anything about the machine you already purchased-but I am willing to bet you would like the ace 250-great starter machine.

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
First off-- welcome to Tnet! Lots of good info and inspiration to be found.
Congrats on your coin-roll hunting. :)
Your Grandparents 300 acres sounds interesting-- a ghost town to hunt and also
many years accumulation around your Grandparents place would entice Me
into spending the money for an Ace250 or better!!
Good-luck & HH

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice roll hunts and congrats! The old detector sounds good but, if it does work as advertised, it will soon develope problems with the electronics, the old capacitors dry out along with all the other electronic components and it is doomed by age! Do yourself a favor and order the Ace 250, it comes with a good Garrett guarentee. I have a Garrett Master Hunter 5, 17 years old and it still works, have had to do a few repairs to it late in its life but, I'm an Electronics Technician so it was easy. Those higher end Bounty Hunter/Radio Shack detectors seem to be a nice beginner detector and can be had for around $140ish and cheaper. The Ace 250 has a few nice accessories, 3 sizes of coils and all reasonably priced. HH and good luck with your decision, Mike

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
guess I'm gonna learn a little about coins coming into this hobby. what is special about the '65-'68 kennedys and how do you know which ones are 40% silver?

I have kennedy halves in '68, '71, '72, '83, '95. are any of those good ones? I collect coins but not seriously. I just keep ones that you don't see every day. Mostly foreign and some ancient roman coins. Thanks for any help!

Jeff

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Hi It sound like you have a liftime treasure huntin spot I bet you will find some great stuff I have a ace 250 and i like it of course I would love to move up but it will do for now

Okie Angie

Tenderfoot
Sep 23, 2006
Hey Donkey,
I'm new to this forum too, I haven't even introduced myselff because I haven't really found anything yet besides an old ring, a newish dime, and a couple of bullets. Anyways, I'm in Oklahoma too up in the north eastern area. Just wanted to say hi!
angie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread