Cane Field Bandits Do It Again

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Louisiana has a way of staying beautiful all week then bringing the rain when you want it least. But does that stop the Cane Field Bandits? NEVER! Did a little work Friday morning then picked up Buckle Boy for the trip down the river to seek goodies in the mud.
Was it Willie Nelson that wrote the song, "On The Rows Again"? We arrived at the site, jumped out the truck and began swinging. No longer than an hour past and the rain set in.
It was about lunch time so we packed back in the truck and grabbed some delicious South Louisiana smoked brisket sandwhiches. Checked the radar on my iphone, there was no end in site to the liquid sunshine. We refused to let it stop us. We waited and waited and waited closely watching the passing front. Finally with little more than an hour and half of daylight left we jumped back into the sticky, wet, silty clay and mud.
Wasnt more than 10 minutes Will found a nice silver guilded flat button. Then I pulled a 1700s era pewter button from the muck. BB was eye balling clay pipe stems left and right, I with my less than great eye site spotted one only amongst the broken cane sprigs.
We had been eye balling another close by spot so I decided to take a swing or two there as the light began to fade. BAM!!! A taco shell shaped silver, bent by a plow. My oldest coin yet, another Spanish half. 1777 :) Badly hopeing for another double wammy day, Will joined me and began swinging. There he spotted a colonial era "Russian blue" trade bead and a clay pipe bowl with really neat disigns on it. About that time I got a good signal and dug a more modern Buffalo Nickel surely dropped by some hard working farmer over the years.
So, all things considered it turned out to be a pretty decent two hour hunt. Thanks for reading and please enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

• 100_4920.JPG
    100_4920.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 860
  • 100_4924.JPG
    100_4924.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 880
  • 100_4925.JPG
    100_4925.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 957
  • wills.png
    wills.png
    146.6 KB · Views: 1,030
  • 100_4927.JPG
    100_4927.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,021
Upvote 0

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Great hunt guys except for the rain keeping you out of the fields.
Show us some more Taco pics please.
I have a hard time with a plow folding that spanish like that, maybe a disc rolled across it :dontknow:?

HB

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
"I have a hard time with a plow folding that spanish like that, maybe a disc rolled across it ?"

I agree HB. How would a plow bend a small coin like that while it's in soft mud. I just dont see it. I wonder if someone purposely did it to make a half or quarter piece?? Will tells me we could possibly find one of those. I am open to suggestions on how to bend it back. We think maybe boil it then quickly press it down on a hard surface. Or maybe I will just leave it as it is.

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Reverse view of bent Spanish half.

Attachments

• 100_4928.JPG
    100_4928.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 929

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Does the inside of the bend look to have been struck?
Does it look like it was folded equally in size?
Maybe it was going to be split to make change?
I can't think of any part on a plow that would be thin enough to fold it that close together. Plows are made of big iron to withstand the punishment.
As far as bending it back, I wouldn't, I'd leave it as is.
I like Taco's :laughing9:

DirtMan1

Jul 30, 2010
Nice Louisiana digs, taco-shaped or not :laughing9:, Spanish Silver is Spanish Silver! Nice digs

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver, How old are the pottery and pipe shards ?

tinpan

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
"Does the inside of the bend look to have been struck?
Does it look like it was folded equally in size?
Maybe it was going to be split to make change?
I can't think of any part on a plow that would be thin enough to fold it that close together. Plows are made of big iron to withstand the punishment.
As far as bending it back, I wouldn't, I'd leave it as is.
I like Taco's "

I'm not clear on what you mean by struck, it is very equally folded, if it had been completly folded the 2 ends would have met making a perfect half moon.
I think I will leave it as I found it.

"Nice Louisiana digs, taco-shaped or not , Spanish Silver is Spanish Silver! Nice digs"
Thanks dirtman.......exciting to find any coin from 1777! :)

"Nice silver, How old are the pottery and pipe shards ?"
Tinpan, most of what we find there are dated to the later 1700s thru 1830s. It's my understanding that the clay pipes date back to 1700s.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds, for the half reale, it was bent in history and I would personally display it as the same.

Keep them comin, you all are doing Great, Bill

L

lost hunter

any silver is good silver bent or not, congrats on the find :icon_thumright:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Shane, as you know, it was snowing here and I was watching "Wagon Train"" on the Western Channel when the phone rang.
I hear BB tell me you guys are on a rain break and I hear another "AIEEE!!" in the background. I immediately knew you had dug a good 'un and you did. Nice coin. I'm beginning to think you guys have found an old bank or store. I like BB's trade bead. He's apparemtly mastered the visual recognition of those pipe stems in the canfields. For the time you spent dodging the rain, you guys did well. Nice post.
Are you sure it wasn't you instead of your brother on Swamp People Thursday night as you told BB to tell me-LOL. HH gentlemen, Q.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll get my chance to add another Spanish to the collection. Gonna break out the trusty 1266 on that fresh plowed and rowed stuff today. ;D

Nice job on the Spanish! I was happy with the trade bead, and nice to pick up so many eyeball finds for such a short hunt.

Personally, I don't think it was bent to break it to make change. If you have seen cut pieces of half reales, there is never a bent one. They were all cut with a knife or axe rather than bent to make "sharp shins." For larger silvers (1R and especially 2R), it was impossible to bend them anyhow without a vise. Easier to put 'em on a stump and cut with a side axe.

I think that's plow damage. But could be a love token fold I guess.

-Buck

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.S.-- Six years earlier and that HR would've been a Pillar Type! :headbang:

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find on the silver wow that thing look exactly like the one I found which was a 1761 and personally I took two oak hammer handles and a seperate hammer placed the coin on the round part of the handle and placed the handle of the other hammer on the coin and then lightly hammered ontop of that hammer and kept hitting it till she started to straighten out and then I worked the coin up the handle to the flat spot a little at a time and then presto and nicely straightened out coin , its silver so you cant really hurt it with wood but just do it gentle if you do ... I would its alot nicer to look at when its flat ...

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go on that Spanish Taco silver Shane!!! 1777 ain't no spring chicken. :thumbsup:
Some great finds out in those cane fields guys.
I have a feeling todays hunt is going to blow this one away! ;D

"Was it Willie Nelson that wrote the song, "On The Rows Again"? "
Classic. :laughing9:

-MM-

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Cane Field Bandits are killing it lately. I always knew that LA had the Colonial finds swarming in the fields. LA all the way! I am loving these posts from Southern LA.

Kirk

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
The Cane Field Bandits are killing it lately. I always knew that LA had the Colonial finds swarming in the fields. LA all the way! I am loving these posts from Southern LA.

Kirk

Unbelievable that we only had 2 hours to hunt and a Spanish was found. Great stuff. 1777 beats your oldest coin, Shane. :icon_thumleft:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweet! Nicely done.

All the best,

Lanny

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice stuff guys! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread