Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
More Union Camp Finds & Kentucky Staff Officer's Button Restored

Thursday, I made a solo trip to the Union camp of the 72nd, 74th Indiana Infantry and the 105th Ohio Infantry located by Donnie (tennessee digger) over 20 years ago. My mission was twofold: Make some site pics for Donnie that I forgot to make on my hunt with Dman on Tuesday and hunt 3 hours or so to establish the perimeter of the main camp. My finds are shown in the first pic. That’s the first Springfield gun tool I have dug in several years. I recovered one solid GS eagle button and 2 more that just fell apart in my hands. One would have been a 3 pc. Staff Officer’s button too. It distresses me to see what is happening to the buttons and brass relics in the ground and this area has seen little or no fertilization.
You may recall the bent bottle cap looking relic in the 2nd pic that I dug with Tenn. Josh at a Gen. Morgan CSA Cavalry camp that we hunted on Dec. 23, 2011. After a light cleaning, it turned out to be a pre-war Kentucky Staff Officer’s button as verified by Buckleboy. Since this is the only KY button and only the second known Confederate button to be found at that early Confederate site, I sent it to friend Robert McDaniel of Relic Restorations in Alabama. He said he could straighten it and “make it look better”. I was very pleased with the results given what he had to work with and he does excellent work. I’m also happy that I didn’t throw it in my bag and toss it-LOL. Check your finds CAREFULLY. Many historic relics have been thrown in the trash. Doug, Donnie, and I plan to hit that Union camp again next week so stay tuned. HH and stay warm, Quindy.

Attachments

• U.S. Camp 2-9-10.jpg
    U.S. Camp 2-9-10.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 841
  • KY Button        12-23-2011.jpg
    KY Button 12-23-2011.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 857
  • KY Staff Officer\'s Button.jpg
    KY Staff Officer\'s Button.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 864
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: More Union Camp Finds & Kentucky Staff Officer's Button Restored

Man, you have been finding the gun tools left and right!

That KY button restored really well. Great work. I am going to forward this link to HB in case he wants to have his CS staff droop wing restored.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Apr 14, 2009
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Amazing Button!!!!!!! :icon_thumleft:

L

lost hunter

lots of good finds

rebelrouser

Dec 4, 2008

that is a super button.great find.hope when you get out soon you all make some great finds .keep the coil to the soil

kevkirki

Jul 16, 2011
denver, colorado
Detector(s) used
M6/coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

very nice....would love to hunt a place like that some day ....bucket list :laughing7:

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.

Good post Quindy. Robert did a great job on that button! I want to go up there one more time just to see if I can find anything with my old Troy Shadow. I'll talk to you soon. Tennessee digger

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Quindy,
That KY button came out great. Now it can be displayed proudly in your collection. Robert is a true artist. :thumbsup:
Congrats on that gun tool. As you know, I've been whining for a few years that I haven't found one yet. All I ever find are old hoes. :laughing9:
Good luck on your next hunt Dude.
-Dug-

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

8) Quindy , The weather cooling down , glad to see your getting some nice relics and the button came out great :thumbsup: dawg

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
Man, you have been finding the gun tools left and right!

That KY button restored really well. Great work. I am going to forward this link to HB in case he wants to have his CS staff droop wing restored.

Best Wishes,
Buckles

Thanks Will and I won't spill the beans but you guys are having a great day in LA. Can't wasit to see the post. I'll give HB Robert's info. anytime. HH, Q.
bluehunter1973 said:
nice finds

Thanks B.H., SSC, Lost Hunter, Don, Rob (we all wish we had some things back that we threw away out of ignorance).
You'll get the chance sometime KK. Thanks for looking, Quindy.

tennessee digger said:
Good post Quindy. Robert did a great job on that button! I want to go up there one more time just to see if I can find anything with my old Troy Shadow. I'll talk to you soon. Tennessee digger
I look forward to our hunt this week Donnie. Dman may find a CSA buckle-LOL. Q.

ModernMiner said:
Quindy,
That KY button came out great. Now it can be displayed proudly in your collection. Robert is a true artist. :thumbsup:
Congrats on that gun tool. As you know, I've been whining for a few years that I haven't found one yet. All I ever find are old hoes. :laughing9:
Good luck on your next hunt Dude.
-Dug-
MM, if you can dig a buggy lantern holder, you will find a gun tool for sure. Thanks, Q.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

CMDiamonddawg said:
8) Quindy , The weather cooling down , glad to see your getting some nice relics and the button came out great :thumbsup: dawg
Thanks Dawg. The interior of the button had bright gilding as that part was protected from the elements. The outside took a beating. Robert put a back with a shank on it too. You could wear it today. Robert, Leonard Short, and Roland Fridoh were all subjects of an article on "Relic Masters" that W & E Magazine requested that I write for them that was published last year. They are all relic repair artists. HH, Quindy.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice saves Quindy!

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Awesome finds. I am looking forward to next week. I hope you feel up to carrying my shovel.
Dman

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excellent saves there Quindy! Robert is truly a very talent restoration expert. That button came back great. Congrats!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Awesome restoration job! looks fantastic! nice finds as well Q! :thumbsup:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So you found the outer perimeter then? I often wonder about secondary sites off main ones. Nice finds sir. :hello:

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice Finds! That KY button is the bomb, rare and beautiful. HH

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other

I forgot, I was supposed to call you on your hunt. BBoy said you needed some Spanish mojo.
it's apparently working for those guys down in La. Your button restoration looks great, I'm wanting to have my drooper restored, but waiting on Roland for an address. Who and where did you have yours restored?
Great hunt Quindy

HB

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

HILL BILLY said:
I forgot, I was supposed to call you on your hunt. BBoy said you needed some Spanish mojo.
it's apparently working for those guys down in La. Your button restoration looks great, I'm wanting to have my drooper restored, but waiting on Roland for an address. Who and where did you have yours restored?
Great hunt Quindy

HB
Thanks HB. Robert McDaniel repaired a breastplate that had some gruound damage for me a few years ago and did an excellent job. I became friends with him then and sent him the button for restoration. I'll pm you his name and address in Alabama. He does not habe a computer. HH, Quindy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread