🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I finally had a Saturday off to do some relic hunting and the weather was cold and snowing. It was 20 degrees out and the wind was blowing about 25 mph but my friends that know me know that will not stop me. I met up with Sham (shamborelics) who was running late due to him getting 6 inches of snow in the mountains where he lives. We had several sites to hunt but decided on hunting a camp deep in the woods to get out of the wind. This site has given up hundreds of bullets and dozens of buttons but today was just shotgun hulls. We then decided to brave the cold, wind and snow and go to another site that is an open field. We were dressed pretty warm but that wind was still biting. I got a very deep signal that was about 10" deep that turned out to be a button. I also got an unusual hook that I don't know about. It swings from its mount and has an unusual tip. I thought it might belong to a wagon or cannon as we are very close to a fort that is on the property. I also got what appears to be the base of a spencer cartridge but in bad shape. When I dug that button it had a beautiful green patina to it but when I cleaned it up later I found it to be in pretty bad shape. We only hunted this site for about an hour or hour and a half then called it a day as I had to get cleaned up for a Boy Scout Banquet that evening. But before we left we scouted out the area noting all the property we have permission to hunt which is a lot. We did locate a known Confederate site that sits between to pieces of property we can hunt. Now we just have to find out who owns that site so see what we can find there.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 815
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 815
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 817
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 912
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 911
Upvote 0

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Randy, you guys deserve a medal for just getting out in Tennessee yesterday. It's sad how these buttons are quickly disintegrating in the soil. Get all those in East Tenn. buttons while you can. HH & stay warm, Quindy.

OP
OP
treasurehound

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Randy, you guys deserve a medal for just getting out in Tennessee yesterday. It's sad how these buttons are quickly disintegrating in the soil. Get all those in East Tenn. buttons while you can. HH & stay warm, Quindy.

Thanks Quindy. Thank goodness the ground wasn't frozen. I know about those buttons. I dug one last year that I could see in my hole was a very nice eagle button. But when I removed it the whole front disintegrated in my hand. All I had left was the back.

OP
OP
treasurehound

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dman said:
Those are good finds on such a cold day.
Dman

Thanks. My buddy Sham found what looks like a lead poker chip from a bullet.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Randy,
You did a lot better than me on that hunt. I froze my a$$ off yesterday and only ended up with a tiny rivet at a pounded Yankee camp. :(
-Dug-

OP
OP
treasurehound

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
diggin tennessee said:
lots of nice stuff up there in johnson city! keep diggin it up. hh

Actually we were between Johnson City and Knoxville.
ModernMiner said:
Randy,
You did a lot better than me on that hunt. I froze my a$$ off yesterday and only ended up with a tiny rivet at a pounded Yankee camp. :(
-Dug-

Doug you at least got to go out. I was going whether it was snowing or raining (light). We did not find a lot but then we did not hunt very long. HH

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Randy, you braved the cold and came up with a nice Civil War Eagle button. Most Southerners don't care for that cold but our desire to dig the Civil War relics overrides that, congrats on the relics buddy and see you soon in Culpeper, I feel another Confederate button(s) coming your way! :occasion14:

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm pretty hard core, but me no hunt below 40 degrees.

OP
OP
treasurehound

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
Randy, you braved the cold and came up with a nice Civil War Eagle button. Most Southerners don't care for that cold but our desire to dig the Civil War relics overrides that, congrats on the relics buddy and see you soon in Culpeper, I feel another Confederate button(s) coming your way! :occasion14:

Thanks Josh. I can't wait to find another rare CS relic and Culpeper will be the place to get it. See you there in March.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread