NEW SITES: CIVIL WAR NAVY TONGUE AND Ultra Rare Late War EUREKA Shell Sabot!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys, I'm back with my latest finds from my last outings! I got out last week after a week of no digging and was finally free to spend a few hours digging til my hearts content. It started out slow :-\ at a couple reserve sites that always produce a few relics but it was slow......just a couple of bullets. Went to scout a new site that ended up being a bust, nothing much there....then I ended the day at a new site that I've had my eye on that finally got cleared. I had had some good luck in the adjoining property with a lot of Civil War Military buttons, a bunch of bullets and coins....When I first got to this new spot I wasn't holding my breath but I had a feeling there would be a few Civil War relics in there....the first couple of signals were can slaw and then a button signal! Out popped an Eagle button, then a few minutes later another but then followed by 3 cans :/ Then I got another very strong, loud signal and I thought to myself "well mine as well dig this can up too so that I can clear out the trash". I popped the plug and scooped out some dirt, then took another scoop and was about to take a third when I quickly glanced to my dirt pile to see if the target had popped out yet and there, laying UPSIDE DOWN, was a TONGUE to a tongue and wreath buckle!! My adrenaline was going at this point because I didn't know what kind it was, so I held my breath and flipped it over and gingerly removed some dirt away. That always-hoping "C.S." didn't pop out but a beautiful BIG eagle did! Although it wasn't a C.S., it was another hard to find Tongue: watch it below. Other than a bend to it, it is complete and intact! *I've actually already worked my magic on it and straightened it for the display case. :)

ALSO, I found an artillery sabot that was unlike any I've seen or dug over the years but knew it had to be Civil War by the make and all the Civil War relics that I had dug from this site. When I got home I contacted a friend I know, Jack Melton, who runs an artillery site as I had a suspicion it was a rare find. Well after a couple of hours he calls me back and asks if he can forward my number to a renowned artillery expert and author, Mr. John D. Bartleson, Jr. He said that it was none other than a late war (1864 field tested by Washington Artillery) Eureka Sabot and that in his 50 plus years he knows of only one other ever being recovered (that one documented in a book on CW artillery) and of the two, mine was in much better shape and went on to say about my attached photos of the Eureka Sabot that "The attached early model is pretty rare. On a scale of 1 - 10, a ten being rarest, it is a 10." In fact, he has asked that I send some photos so that he can sketch it for an upcoming book as it is the best example of a Eureka Sabot he has seen....I knew it was rare when I dug it, but not quite that rare.

Finally, I teamed up with a friend of mine Wes, and we went and dug a new field site and we ended up digging some Buttons, I got a 1820 Large Cent and he found a very well preserved 1857 Flying Eagle as well so here's the lot thanks for lookin :icon_thumleft::

CIVIL WAR EUREKA SABOT

EXAMPLE OF EUREKA SHELL
FAOiiib12.jpg

IMAG0073ed.jpg

IMAG0071ed.jpg

MDPics 001ed.jpg

MDPics 002ed.jpg

MDPics 023ED.jpg

3 Piece New York Coat and Big Eagle I

MDPics 004.jpg

(Disc/Plow struck...also found a lead weight about 3 feet up cut completely in half by the disc)
MDPics 009.jpg

CIVIL WAR UNION NAVY TONGUE

Uncleaned:
IMAG0076ed.jpg

Cleaned and Straightened:

22043_12_02_12_11_24_47.jpeg

Group Shots:

MDPics 011.jpg

MDPics 012.jpg

MDPics 020ed.jpg

22043_13_02_12_6_01_06.jpeg

Attachments

• Navy Tongue.jpg
    Navy Tongue.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 2,435
Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: NEW SITES: UNION NAVY TONGUE AND Ultra Rare Late War EUREKA Shell Sabot!

Hey Josh! :hello:
Just watched your videos, you dig some really cool finds down there man! :notworthy:
All I'm digging up here is snow right now! :laughing7:

I was trying to figure out what a couple of your finds are here, can you help me out? :icon_scratch:

Best of luck to you bud,
Dave

PS. I think the last pic is a barrel tap?

Attachments

• Sentinel 002.jpg
    Sentinel 002.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 1,877
  • Sentinel 001.jpg
    Sentinel 001.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 1,880
  • Sentinel 003.jpg
    Sentinel 003.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,899

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like you had an awesome day! :icon_thumright:

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice job Josh! I voted banner. See you at DIV.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow. Some Dream Finds there.

Killer post. :headbang:

-Buck

L

lost hunter

Nice finds

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

civilman1 said:
When you sent that pic of it dirty to me I was beating my head against the wall trying to figure it out :BangHead: Great,great find's Josh :thumbsup: Got my vote.See ya next month!!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Joe, I can't wait to see you this Spring when you come down to do some diggin' with me buddy :icon_thumleft: :wink:

ANTIQUARIAN said:
Hey Josh! :hello:
Just watched your videos, you dig some really cool finds down there man! :notworthy:
All I'm digging up here is snow right now! :laughing7:

I was trying to figure out what a couple of your finds are here, can you help me out? :icon_scratch:

Best of luck to you bud,
Dave

PS. I think the last pic is a barrel tap?
Hey Dave, I sure do not envy you right now and having to put up with all that snow, I'm very much a more temperate type of person myself. The first item is a small brass ornate hinge that came up about 10 yards into the field near the homesite. The second photo you listed is an old glass bead and the last one is a barrel tap that I dug walking a line between the 1820 Matron Head and the 3-piece New York button. Thanks Dave and talk to you soon, btw give me a call later this week if you get a chance :icon_thumleft: :wink:

RTDE3 said:
Incredable finds Josh! :headbang:
You have the best sites to hunt bar none! :thumbsup:
Big Congrats on such a nice batch of relics!
Banner vote is in! :wink:
HEY ROB MY BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER! Thank you man :occasion14: :occasion14: Yes we have some good sites but as you know many of them can be hard to get to like that terrific Maryland button you found! Finding the sites and gettting permission is an art form that we ALL practice on here. I look forward to seeing you this spring or summer buddy, I really enjoyed the last time you came down, we will do it again soon. :occasion14: :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Mach 1 Pilot said:
Looks like you had an awesome day! :icon_thumright:
It was a great couple days, luckily before this really cold spell swept through!

Old Stonewall said:
Nice job Josh! I voted banner. See you at DIV.
Rick, thanks buddy, I look forward to it, I envision a field of dreams for that second hunt. In the past, when we had the opportunity to hunt a fresh new farm, there were some incredible finds and A LOT of them made. I will try to find you when I get there on Thursday, see you then buddy.

BuckleBoy said:
Wow. Some Dream Finds there.

Killer post. :headbang:

-Buck
Buck, we've been friends on here for a LONG time..many years, and I have to say this one was on my "relic list" and it's always a good feeling to be able to check an item off of the list. Speaking of which, I would not be surprised if you find a plate or two in that field that seems to be producing very well for you. I look forward to seeing what you pull out of there next. Thanks again for the kind words my friend :occasion14:

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Super finds! the Navy tongue is a tough one, plus a super cool piece to a rare shell. congrats!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

danimal03 said:
Super finds! the Navy tongue is a tough one, plus a super cool piece to a rare shell. congrats!

Good to see ya here Daniel!!!

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thanks Kuger!

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

YOU DA MAN! What an awesome tongue! :tongue3: :headbang: :notworthy:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sniffy said:
YOU DA MAN! What an awesome tongue! :tongue3: :headbang: :notworthy:

Thanks Sniffy buddy!

DirtMan1

Jul 30, 2010
BANNER!!!! Holy Smokes Josh that is a rare and fantastic Tongue Sir, you've DEFINITELY got my Banner vote coming, congratulations! That one has to make it up there :o :o : :notworthy: :notworthy:

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds!!!!
Congrats!!
Banner!
:icon_thumright:

Joe

Seabiscuit

Jan 2, 2010
Detector(s) used
F-75, CZ-20, Troy Shadow
Real nice finds there Josh. Good job. That navy tongue is a banner find in my book! I will vote for it!

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Great finds Josh, looks like a sweet spot

I see the winter wheat is growing there. In the past I've always avoided going onto it, treating it like a crop not to be disturbed. This winter I've had two farmer look at me funny when I told them that. They said "we don't care, go dig in there" do you generally find the same attitude?

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BobinSouthVA said:
Great finds Josh, looks like a sweet spot

I see the winter wheat is growing there. In the past I've always avoided going onto it, treating it like a crop not to be disturbed. This winter I've had two farmer look at me funny when I told them that. They said "we don't care, go dig in there" do you generally find the same attitude?

:D Yeah, this farmer is like many others, he said "Dig the H#ll out of it I don't care". Most are like that although from time to time, certain farmers/landowners will use it as an excuse to deny permission calling it their "bumper crop".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread