Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    us
    Jan 2012
    MS
    Minelab E-trac Stock 11" Coil, 6" X2 Coil, 8x6 S.E.F. Coil, Garrett Pro-Pointer
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: I dub thee Barber Park

Wow, awesome finds. I just recently found my first barber dime, which was almost slick. I live about an hour and a half from NOLA, and have often thought of going there and trying my luck. Was wondering maybe you could tell me which parks you hunt. I know audobon and city park are pretty old, but do not know if they allow detectoring. Have you ever tried either of those parks, or know of anyone who has? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Im not asking for your honey hole, just asking for someone to steer me in the right direction. Would also love to meet up with someone from that area for a weekend hunt.
    ekordek@yahoo.com
    thanks
    ek

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

us
    Jan 2012

Sweet finds in the park.......BUT
    it would be nice to see those big dirt piles on a piece of plastic or towel (I use rubber intended for cabinet drawers).
    You obviously have a nice plug, but why not put the dirt ONTO something that would allow it to be easily put back into the hole,
    making a sweet and easy cover up?
    Parks in my area are off limits due to unfilled and messy digs, not saying you don't fill em' in, but having a Minelab also I know how
    big some of the holes can get!
    Good Luck
    Deep Digger

us
    Apr 2010
    Mint Hill, N.C.
    E-Trac, G-2, Garrett ProPointer
    85 times

Enjoyed the video. Using a shovel in a park is asking for trouble here.
    Minelab E-Trac and Safari

us
    Jul 2011
    denver, colorado
    M6/coinmaster
    3 times
    Metal Detecting

wow what a spot!!! watch your rearview when headed there ....congrats

Mar 2006
    Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
    ETRAC BABY
    8 times

Quote Originally Posted by turf_aholic
    Great video... Looks like one heck of a hunt.
    Quick question...

What type of video camera are you using Great detail and terrific Macro Focusing!

Many thanks and Congratulations!!!
    The camera is a Sony Bloggie MHS TS20. It has zoom and the macro is ok. There is another Bloggie out there that has better macro but I dont know the model number.

Quote Originally Posted by bonepicker
    Wow, awesome finds. I just recently found my first barber dime, which was almost slick. I live about an hour and a half from NOLA, and have often thought of going there and trying my luck. Was wondering maybe you could tell me which parks you hunt. I know audobon and city park are pretty old, but do not know if they allow detectoring. Have you ever tried either of those parks, or know of anyone who has? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Im not asking for your honey hole, just asking for someone to steer me in the right direction. Would also love to meet up with someone from that area for a weekend hunt.
    ekordek@yahoo.com
    thanks
    ek
    The next time I know I am going to be in town on a weekend, I will send you an IM and see if you want to meet up where I am hunting. TMAN...

us
    Jan 2012
    MS
    Minelab E-trac Stock 11" Coil, 6" X2 Coil, 8x6 S.E.F. Coil, Garrett Pro-Pointer
    2 times

Thanks TMAN, that would be awesome. Please contact me via IM or email. I would love to meet up with ya, and do some dirtfishin in the Big easy. Those silvers in your vid are too nice. I live on the mississippi coast, and the coins i have been finding are in rough condition. Found an 1898 barber downtown recently, which is my oldest silver and first barber, but it was slick on the back and barely legible on the front. Found some V nickels and copper pennies, but they are pitted really bad due to corrosion.
    If i could find a fraction of what you hit on in your vid, i would be ecstatic. Especially if they were in that good of condition.
    my bag is already packed. Sittin on G, waitin on O.
    thanks
    ek

Charter Member
    us
    Metal Detecting isn't a Crime!!!

May 2009
    48 times

The camera is a Sony Bloggie MHS TS20. It has zoom and the macro is ok. There is another Bloggie out there that has better macro but I dont know the model number.
    Thanks for the info!

us
    Jan 2012
    Saint Simons Island, Ga.
    Garrett Ace 250
    Metal Detecting

Tman, the item that you said you weren't sure what is was looks like the tip of an old soldering iron. Great finds on the coins, I'm new at this and still looking for my first old coin.

us
    presidential campaign items, 1860 JOHN BELL-EDWARD EVERETT tin type pic token, 1888 Benjamin Harrison pin. 1876 CENTENNIAL REVOLUTIONARY WAR MEDAL WITH BARON VON STEUBEN AND GENERAL GEORGE WASHINGTON. CW RELICS 1864 Union store card,3 I,1 R, eagle buttons

Dec 2008
    ILL
    Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
    41 times

nice silver!!!!!! nice vid!!!! MR TUFF
    oldest dug 1831 William IIII. 1844 1/6 Skilling. 1834,51,72,76,84-86,89,1900o-94s,97-11,13 Dimes. 1854,56,76s,94,99,1902,06,09d,11,15s Qtrs. 1864,65 2cent. 79,83cc Morgan. 1867,68,69,75,82,87,88,90,91,93,95,97,98,1900,02,0 4-09,11,12d Nickles. 1848,56,59,61,64-67-69,73-75,81-85,87-09 Cent.

us
    Jan 2011
    Phoenixville, PA
    White's V3X, Garrett Ace 350
    2 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

Nice Silver!! ... Never turn down finding barbers! ...

pl
    Mar 2008
    Deep Silver Seeker 3000
    5 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Awesome digs Tracy! Congrats!
    2012Counts:
    Barber 1/2= ;WLH 1/2= ;FRH= ; SeQ=; SLQ=1 SWQ=5; Barber Q= ; Seated D.= ; Barber Dime=4 ; Merc's=9; Roosies=6; War Nickels=1; Foreign Silver=1
    Silver=27 Gold=4

Mar 2006
    ETRAC BABY
    8 times

Quote Originally Posted by Ga. dirt fisher
    Tman, the item that you said you weren't sure what is was looks like the tip of an old soldering iron. Great finds on the coins, I'm new at this and still looking for my first old coin.
    Thanks dirt fisher. I couldnt figure it out and that makes good sense. TMAN...

us
    Dec 2008
    Fern Creek Ky
    XLT
    11 times

tman, that etrac seems to be all that. What size coil were you using?

I enjoyed the video.

Congrats on finding the deep stuff.

Charter Member
    us
    Cindy

Mar 2011
    WI
    Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
    84 times

Hi TMan,
    I met you in the RV park in Sweeney, Texas last year, Congrats on your finds and the excellent video! I would like to know what settings you use and what your secrete is? I have JUST dug my first silver coin (90% Silver) two days ago, I hunt a lot, but I don't seem to find much silver or gold rings or much jewelry for that matter.

I am just wondering if you have a special setting, or a trick for ground balance or sensitivity or any of the settings? Any tips you can share would sure be appreciated!

Thanks, Cindy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1853 Seated Liberty Quarter 2.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	347.2 KB 
ID:	61351   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1853 Seated Liberty Quarter 6.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	434.9 KB 
ID:	61352   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1853 Seated Liberty Quarter 2.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	347.2 KB 
ID:	608745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1853 Seated Liberty Quarter 6.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	434.9 KB 
ID:	608746  

us
    Apr 2010
    Mint Hill, N.C.
    E-Trac, G-2, Garrett ProPointer
    85 times

Really nice coin. Any Minelab will get silver on the default settings. You just got to get the coil over it. HH Jr
    Minelab E-Trac and Safari

Mar 2006
    ETRAC BABY
    8 times

Quote Originally Posted by Deno
    tman, that etrac seems to be all that. What size coil were you using?

I enjoyed the video.

Congrats on finding the deep stuff.
    Thanks Deno. I am using the stock coil that came with the etrac. The soil is very neutral. The auto sens runs anywhere from 20-24 where I am hunting. I have noticed that depth is affected on the etrac by higher mineralized soil. I hunt in east Texas also and some areas have red iron ore clay that will make the damn thing run at auto sens 3-6. I havent ever dug anything deeper than 4 inches in that soil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ga. dirt fisher
    Thank you for the info. I think that is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by cdsieg
    Hi TMan,
    I met you in the RV park in Sweeney, Texas last year, Congrats on your finds and the excellent video! I would like to know what settings you use and what your secrete is? I have JUST dug my first silver coin (90% Silver) two days ago, I hunt a lot, but I don't seem to find much silver or gold rings or much jewelry for that matter.

I am just wondering if you have a special setting, or a trick for ground balance or sensitivity or any of the settings? Any tips you can share would sure be appreciated!

Thanks, Cindy
    Hey Cindy!!! Nice to here from you. That first silver coin is beyond awesome. It is beautiful. Congrats on that. If you are using the etrac, I am running, multi tone, the quick mask down to 22 all the way across. I run in auto +3. Trash density high, deep off fast on and I run my gain at 27. The biggest thing with the etrac though is to go slloooowwwww in trash or iron. If I had been swinging the etrac like a light sabre, I would have missed most of those targets. If you have any other questions, please dont hesitate to im me. If you are in the New Orleans area or will be in the next few weeks let me know and I will be happy to help ya. Take care. TMAN...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsors