I dub thee Barber Park

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
Hi everyone!!! I spent the weekend here in the NOLA area so that I could get back to the park I had found the reale seated and several barbers. I got there early Saturday morning and started hunting. It was a slow start but it picked up and it turned out to be another great hunt. I have yet to find any silvers newer than the barbers. It is crazy because I am picking out wheaties on a regular basis. I guess someone must have done some serious cherry picking. I am glad to have the etrac. In this soil it is working like a dream. I hope you enjoy the vid. I just started doing these after Dave (American Coin Hunting) showed me how easy it was. Thanks for looking. TMAN...
[youtube=425,350]UHQYdM9kuW4[/youtube]

Upvote 0

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, awesome finds. I just recently found my first barber dime, which was almost slick. I live about an hour and a half from NOLA, and have often thought of going there and trying my luck. Was wondering maybe you could tell me which parks you hunt. I know audobon and city park are pretty old, but do not know if they allow detectoring. Have you ever tried either of those parks, or know of anyone who has? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Im not asking for your honey hole, just asking for someone to steer me in the right direction. Would also love to meet up with someone from that area for a weekend hunt.
[email protected]
thanks
ek

deepdigger

Jan 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds in the park.......BUT
it would be nice to see those big dirt piles on a piece of plastic or towel :sign13: (I use rubber intended for cabinet drawers).
You obviously have a nice plug, but why not put the dirt ONTO something that would allow it to be easily put back into the hole,
making a sweet and easy cover up?
Parks in my area are off limits due to unfilled and messy digs, not saying you don't fill em' in, but having a Minelab also I know how
big some of the holes can get!
Good Luck
Deep Digger

ShovelNose

Apr 6, 2010
Little River S.C.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoyed the video. Using a shovel in a park is asking for trouble here.

OP
OP
tmanfromtexas

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
turf_aholic said:
Great video... Looks like one heck of a hunt.
Quick question... :help: :help:

What type of video camera are you using??? Great detail and terrific Macro Focusing!

Many thanks and Congratulations!!! :hello2:
The camera is a Sony Bloggie MHS TS20. It has zoom and the macro is ok. There is another Bloggie out there that has better macro but I dont know the model number.

bonepicker said:
Wow, awesome finds. I just recently found my first barber dime, which was almost slick. I live about an hour and a half from NOLA, and have often thought of going there and trying my luck. Was wondering maybe you could tell me which parks you hunt. I know audobon and city park are pretty old, but do not know if they allow detectoring. Have you ever tried either of those parks, or know of anyone who has? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Im not asking for your honey hole, just asking for someone to steer me in the right direction. Would also love to meet up with someone from that area for a weekend hunt.
[email protected]
thanks
ek

The next time I know I am going to be in town on a weekend, I will send you an IM and see if you want to meet up where I am hunting. TMAN...

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks TMAN, that would be awesome. Please contact me via IM or email. I would love to meet up with ya, and do some dirtfishin in the Big easy. Those silvers in your vid are too nice. I live on the mississippi coast, and the coins i have been finding are in rough condition. Found an 1898 barber downtown recently, which is my oldest silver and first barber, but it was slick on the back and barely legible on the front. Found some V nickels and copper pennies, but they are pitted really bad due to corrosion.
If i could find a fraction of what you hit on in your vid, i would be ecstatic. Especially if they were in that good of condition.
my bag is already packed. Sittin on G, waitin on O.
thanks
ek

turf_aholic

May 5, 2009
PNW
The camera is a Sony Bloggie MHS TS20. It has zoom and the macro is ok. There is another Bloggie out there that has better macro but I dont know the model number.

Thanks for the info!

Ga. dirt fisher

Greenie
Jan 6, 2012
Saint Simons Island, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tman, the item that you said you weren't sure what is was looks like the tip of an old soldering iron. Great finds on the coins, I'm new at this and still looking for my first old coin.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice silver!!!!!! nice vid!!!! MR TUFF

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome digs Tracy! Congrats! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
tmanfromtexas

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
Ga. dirt fisher said:
Tman, the item that you said you weren't sure what is was looks like the tip of an old soldering iron. Great finds on the coins, I'm new at this and still looking for my first old coin.
Thanks dirt fisher. I couldnt figure it out and that makes good sense. TMAN...

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tman, that etrac seems to be all that. What size coil were you using?

I enjoyed the video.

Congrats on finding the deep stuff.

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi TMan,
I met you in the RV park in Sweeney, Texas last year, Congrats on your finds and the excellent video! I would like to know what settings you use and what your secrete is? I have JUST dug my first silver coin (90% Silver) two days ago, I hunt a lot, but I don't seem to find much silver or gold rings or much jewelry for that matter.

I am just wondering if you have a special setting, or a trick for ground balance or sensitivity or any of the settings? Any tips you can share would sure be appreciated!

Thanks, Cindy

Attachments

• 1853 Seated Liberty Quarter 2.JPG
    1853 Seated Liberty Quarter 2.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 243
  • 1853 Seated Liberty Quarter 6.JPG
    1853 Seated Liberty Quarter 6.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 248
  • 1853 Seated Liberty Quarter 2.JPG
    1853 Seated Liberty Quarter 2.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 239
  • 1853 Seated Liberty Quarter 6.JPG
    1853 Seated Liberty Quarter 6.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 253

ShovelNose

Apr 6, 2010
Little River S.C.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice coin. Any Minelab will get silver on the default settings. You just got to get the coil over it. HH Jr

OP
OP
tmanfromtexas

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
Deno said:
tman, that etrac seems to be all that. What size coil were you using?

I enjoyed the video.

Congrats on finding the deep stuff.

Thanks Deno. I am using the stock coil that came with the etrac. The soil is very neutral. The auto sens runs anywhere from 20-24 where I am hunting. I have noticed that depth is affected on the etrac by higher mineralized soil. I hunt in east Texas also and some areas have red iron ore clay that will make the damn thing run at auto sens 3-6. I havent ever dug anything deeper than 4 inches in that soil.

Ga. dirt fisher said:
Thank you for the info. I think that is what it is.

cdsieg said:
Hi TMan,
I met you in the RV park in Sweeney, Texas last year, Congrats on your finds and the excellent video! I would like to know what settings you use and what your secrete is? I have JUST dug my first silver coin (90% Silver) two days ago, I hunt a lot, but I don't seem to find much silver or gold rings or much jewelry for that matter.

I am just wondering if you have a special setting, or a trick for ground balance or sensitivity or any of the settings? Any tips you can share would sure be appreciated!

Thanks, Cindy

Hey Cindy!!! Nice to here from you. That first silver coin is beyond awesome. It is beautiful. Congrats on that. If you are using the etrac, I am running, multi tone, the quick mask down to 22 all the way across. I run in auto +3. Trash density high, deep off fast on and I run my gain at 27. The biggest thing with the etrac though is to go slloooowwwww in trash or iron. If I had been swinging the etrac like a light sabre, I would have missed most of those targets. If you have any other questions, please dont hesitate to im me. If you are in the New Orleans area or will be in the next few weeks let me know and I will be happy to help ya. Take care. TMAN...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread