jimmy uk

Nov 3, 2010
Essex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi people :hello: went out this morning on ploughed land for a hour what a lovely day it is here :hello2: only found scrap lead and this lovely thimble never had one without a top on it cleaned it up and notice a mark like a hallmark SS so i take it thats the makers mark which is pretty ;D its been dated from the 16th to the 17th century and not a normal thimble aswel as u can see by the open top which makes it a tailors thimble :icon_thumleft:

thanks for looking

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 1,296
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 992
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 795
Upvote 0

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
jimmy uk said:
hi people :hello: went out this morning on ploughed land for a hour what a lovely day it is here :hello2: only found scrap lead and this lovely thimble never had one without a top on it cleaned it up and notice a mark like a hallmark SS so i take it thats the makers mark which is pretty ;D its been dated from the 16th to the 17th century and not a normal thimble aswel as u can see by the open top which makes it a tailors thimble :icon_thumleft:

thanks for looking

Nice going on a very unique find Jimmie. But can you tell me what the purpose is of an open top thimble? That would seem to defeat the purpose of using one.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. I like thimbles. Do you find a lot of open top type? Oops, I missed the part where it's your first.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill D. (VA) said:
jimmy uk said:

thanks for looking

Nice going on a very unique find Jimmie. But can you tell me what the purpose is of an open top thimble? That would seem to defeat the purpose of using one.
:coffee2:

Like a present-day tailor’s thimble, these sewing rings were designed to apply the pressure sideways.
They are also known as open-top or ring-type thimbles, and have complemented their more conventional counterparts from the earliest times. Having a makers mark is a bonus to :icon_thumleft:

Very nice find Jimmy :icon_thumleft:

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
Bill D. (VA) said:
jimmy uk said:

thanks for looking

:coffee2:

Like a present-day tailor’s thimble, these sewing rings were designed to apply the pressure sideways.
They are also known as open-top or ring-type thimbles, and have complemented their more conventional counterparts from the earliest times. Having a makers mark is a bonus to :icon_thumleft:

Very nice find Jimmy :icon_thumleft:

SS

Agreed, never had a marked open-top, quite a 'rare' find :hello2:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like it,Congrat's :thumbsup:

B

Bev

I didnt know they made those! I don't like using a regular thimble and thought I'd rather have something just like that. Have you found more about the SS? I think it stands for SUPER SWEET!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions